Glastonbury Festival Scrutiny Report 2023

Dukeicon

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

I think the issue is not just at the front near the pyramid, it really impacts crowd movement up the hill, it reinforces the ‘outer crust’ that builds up on most crowds. There are gaps further in the field but you cannot get through the ring of aluminium chairs, trolleys and blankets. It was really, really bad for EJ albeit that was an extra large crowd. It’s still an issue to manage. I think that they need to inform people about it before hand and when necessary request people to pack up the chairs and blankets. Can’t be that difficult. Individuals with mobility issues are not the problem, it’s the gang of 10 people in a line……..

Fair play I take your point I must admit I rarely visit the Pyramid (3 sets this year I think being end of Cat Stevens, Blondie and EJ) and if I do Im generally towards the front section. It was really bad for Elton John- even in the front "circle" there were gangs of people with chairs and blankets. Madness!

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

There is only 1 trackway on the pyramid which goes to the mixing desk from the back of the field, maybe they should put a couple more as people tend to leave these free which helps access in quite deep.

The main purpose of this trackway is to cover cable trenches, not access. 

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’d like them to ban chairs for the headliners and legend slot. It’s not really an issue when the Pyramid isn’t full, and for those who do stay there much of the time during the day there’s no great inconvenience  for the rest of us, but when it’s rammed it’s a mess.

I’d agree with that. Quite often the pyramid has plenty space. But when it’s really busy the chairs etc not only prevent others from accessing the field but are a real safety hazard. Worst we had was trying to get in to see Kylie. Loads of chairs around the perimeter and it was almost impenetrable. 

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hopefully. Good luck with enforcing it I guess...

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’d agree with that, the outer crust of chairs picnic blankets, loungers can give the impression that the field is rammed, whilst there is reasonable space closer to the stage. Problem is trying to reach it. Big screen warnings and stewarding would need to be used, and pre festival warnings just like the peeing on the land message. I think most reasonable folk would conform. When the message went up  before Elton folk did pack up the chairs. 

I think it would be relatively self policing. If there was more clearer messaging it would give people more incentive to call out others around them and people would pack them up partly from social pressure! Obviously you'd still get the odd nob heads.

I think they're in for a fight with the council over noise. 

"With regard to offsite impacts in Pilton and other nearby urban areas within the northern compass quadrant, noise levels were not dissimilar to 2019 and 2022, and the issue remained that the noise levels or loudness did not drop away at 00.30 after the main stages finished. The overall fall off beyond this time until all venues* cease at 06:00hrs was for a second year running de-minimis post main venue curfew and at best, gradual pos 03:00hrs when additional sound systems cease operating.

Given the significant numbers of people on site and the noise generating infrastructure involved in maintaining the site a radical drop in noise level would not be expected to occur and is not considered to be a realistic achievement for sound levels to drop by more than a few decibels.

Nevertheless, the high contribution of

music noise and risk of bass beat adverse

effects in 2022, 2023 and previously, continues

to sustain the officer viewpoint that significantly

more consideration needs to be invested by

GFEL to control the music noise, so that its

contribution to the overall ambient noise

propagating beyond the site, shall be better

supressed."

Basically this is the council saying "We know reducing noise is going to be very hard for you, we still want you to do it".

Edited by Leyrulion

51 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

"With regard to offsite impacts in Pilton and other nearby urban areas within the northern compass quadrant, noise levels were not dissimilar to 2019 and 2022, and the issue remained that the noise levels or loudness did not drop away at 00.30 after the main stages finished. The overall fall off beyond this time until all venues* cease at 06:00hrs was for a second year running de-minimis post main venue curfew and at best, gradual pos 03:00hrs when additional sound systems cease operating.

Given the significant numbers of people on site and the noise generating infrastructure involved in maintaining the site a radical drop in noise level would not be expected to occur and is not considered to be a realistic achievement for sound levels to drop by more than a few decibels.

supressed."

Basically this is the council saying "We know reducing noise is going to be very hard for you, we still want you to do it".

With Silver Hayes and Arcadia over that side of the site it’s pretty much impossible, particularly with low frequency - bass. 

Could they/would they ever swap out Theatre and Circus with Silver Hayes and Arcadia? This would effectively increase the size of the SEC and move the late night bass further away. 

I'm aware of the history of Bella's Field etc, but times move on and the late night demands of the festival are different now.  

Edited by stuie

2 hours ago, stuie said:

With Silver Hayes and Arcadia over that side of the site it’s pretty much impossible, particularly with low frequency - bass. 

Could they/would they ever swap out Theatre and Circus with Silver Hayes and Arcadia? This would effectively increase the size of the SEC and move the late night bass further away. 

I'm aware of the history of Bella's Field etc, but times move on and the late night demands of the festival are different now.  

Its an interesting shout. In Tom's Field camping which is very close to Pilton it is very noisy until about 3am from Silver Hayes/Beat Hotel so I can see why the locals complain about it. But then again it is only three days a year. 

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Its an interesting shout. In Tom's Field camping which is very close to Pilton it is very noisy until about 3am from Silver Hayes/Beat Hotel so I can see why the locals complain about it. But then again it is only three days a year. 

I too was in Tom's Field and the loudness of sound seemed to be later this year than I remember previously. Part of me thinks as it was hot and there wasn't much cloud meaning the sound travelled further.

Same old issues that arent going anywhere given 200k onsite

people want to be entertained Thursday so the most obvious things are stupidly rammed

late night side of the festival more popular than its ever been. Noise reduction pre 3am is surely a non starter. As someone else said its 4 days a year and locals have excellent access to tickets or know when to go on holiday if they really dont want anything to do with it

Toilets and water only an issue in pinch points or very busy areas. 

I’d say they are doing pretty well all things considered

i would ban chairs entirely outside of campsites but im probably a bit harsh. No chairs whatsoever after 7pm and none in front of a certain line at any time is more than reasonable and is long overdue

It’s not really about chairs though. It’s just about people who take up excess space. Not far in front of me were a bunch of people waiting for Elton who sat down on blankets, spread out as if they were on a beach. They were like that throughout Lil Nas X, having absolutely no interest in him but still taking up coveted field space. They continued to sit down as if announcements didn’t apply to them when the call came for people sitting down to stand up and allow more people in.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People have always sat in the Pyramid Field. Prior to picnic blankets they built fires which probably took up even more real estate.

Burning plastic with noxious fumes when all the paper had gone. Don’t know whether it made it easier for the litter pickers or not 

17 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think it would be relatively self policing. If there was more clearer messaging it would give people more incentive to call out others around them and people would pack them up partly from social pressure! Obviously you'd still get the odd nob heads.

Too soft, just throw the buggers out along with a list of more appropriate festivals.

17 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

supressed."

Absolute load of nonsense. It’s too quiet already, both pre and post midnight