Mobile F*****g Phones at gigs

ModernMan

It's a tough one...people enjoy music in different ways I suppose.

I'm with you on it, i'd have them banned. I find music completely immersive and love going into that other world place with the crowd. I do like to capture one or two moments, but that's of the people around me singing dancing than the actual act on stage, I can watch the band set back on youtube so pointless videoing the stage imo.

But, my husband enjoys music in a very different way to me. He loves music too but it's not at all nostalgic or immersive. He'll just have it on in the background and bop his head a bit as he carries on his business. That's impossible to me, I'm so distracted when I've got music on because I can't help but disappear into a daydream, definitely doesn't help me focus 🤣🤣

So in that sense, I see how people enjoy music in different ways and who are we to get involved and put more blooming rules on society. Is it maybe just a 'you' problem, if you're distracted...move. Why is it someone else's job to pussy foot around you for your entertainment when they want to research the band on reddit or whatever which is pretty harmless really. (I'm playing devil's advocate but...)

Ultimately, live and let live and if you don't like it don't look 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

The recent James orchestra tour they just asked people to not film or take photos, but then before one song (the new one) they said "you can film or photograph this one if you must". Good compromise, lets people get a digital memento without spoiling the show. Side benefit of having the new single be the thing that's all over social media as well.

Unfortunately TikTok and InstaStories or whatever have really changed things up the past few years. Used to be someone would film their whole favourite song, and then put it on YouTube, bit annoying, but was one song and after the gig you could at least see some of the footage on YouTube. Now it's 30 second clips of as many songs as possible which last online for a day then vanish. Total waste.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmanuel said:

I don't take any videos or photos myself, my phone is crap and I have no use of them. I can actually understand filming a whole show from 1st row of balcony or something, and used to seek those tapes at Camden market!

The same, but more with audio recordings. Collecting those tapes from Camden Market etc was a lot of fun. Would always pick up two or three on the rare trips to London.

Some of the American "jam bands" allow audio recording/filming of their shows but from a designated tapers section within the venue. Perhaps something like this could be the solution for our phone filmers, certainly in arena sized venues. 

There's a good few bands out there who sell recordings of their shows, via the likes of nugs.net etc. Arena gigs where there are screens used this could surely be expanded to sell people a DVD/video download of the recorded audio with the images from the screens. Bands make less money from their album sales... perhaps this is another revenue stream they could look into? If advertised, I'm sure that a sensibly priced souvenir would appeal to many. Couple this with Yondr pouches and you really could get the best of both. 

• Upvote 1

I think it's totally fine to take a photo or two,  and film a short clip of 1 or 2 tracks as I get old i want look back and remember the gigs I went to, a little snapshot will help. 

That being said to film every track is excessive and you probably miss the moment your supposed to be living. 

I think if there browsing the internet or replying to messages then.... they just means there not keen on the live music they are meant to experience.

11 hours ago, mario man said:

Were you at BC Camplight tonight?! Brian was just starting a solo piano piece & someone shouted out to put the f*ckin’ phones down and after that it was bliss! 

Now I've got a different take on that one. It was one person taking a photo, not a vid, and someone booming from the back of the crowd was way more disruptive. The 'shh' thing was annoying as well

I'm torn about this. I'm aware from social media that there is a thriving culture of livestreaming shows for the benefit of other fans who can't attend for reasons of cost, accessibility, health issues, or just the fact that their favourite band never visits certain countries. I think this is also a generational thing, that newer bands almost expect this, or are happy to release sets on their own social media to pre-empt it. And it depends a lot on the kind of music - at a rock gig with lots of moshing, phones are hardly going to be the distraction that they would be at an acoustic show.

In short, I do think this is a good thing, just as long as people are considerate of others around them and aren't dicks about it!

• Upvote 1

I like one photo from a gig to go in my folder as it's nice to have one visual reminder as a trigger for happy times. But that's my lot. The filming thing I will never get, not really.  Saw Soft Play supporting Prodigy on Monday, and as soon as they came into the crowd for walkabout all you could suddenly see was phone screens.  The guys are right there in front of you, just get involved!

Remember having to steam in watching Vintage Trouble at BDs a few years back because Ty's crowdsurf was about to go tits up as everyone was filming and no-one was there to carry him.  Ended up with maybe 2 of us holding him up before enough people realised and put their phones down to join in!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

one guy then gets one of the girls up onto his shoulders right in front of us and she then proceeds to start filming the gig as AM come on.....irritating, but what can you do

You can tell him to not be such an entitled asshole? Might crush the vibe but sounds like he needs informed of this (possibly hourly).

Alternatively ask to go in front of him instead of behind. But I prefer option 1.

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

When its interfering with me even being able to see the stage or the screen then its not on IMO.

The one that most annoyed me was being one row back from the front at a Mogwai gig, and getting my view blocked by a phone and the owners arm for the whole of "Mogwai Fear Satan". All 15 minutes of it!

38 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

The one that most annoyed me was being one row back from the front at a Mogwai gig, and getting my view blocked by a phone and the owners arm for the whole of "Mogwai Fear Satan". All 15 minutes of it!

I'm not too surprised, Mogwai fit very well the "I own a Youtube channel with full songs of bands" demographic. However, I have never watched and have no plan to watch any of these full songs on Youtube, so I agree it is annoying. And also: there are better BBC recorded versions of the same song on Youtube!

Edited by emmanuel

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I like one photo from a gig to go in my folder as it's nice to have one visual reminder as a trigger for happy times. But that's my lot. The filming thing I will never get, not really.  Saw Soft Play supporting Prodigy on Monday, and as soon as they came into the crowd for walkabout all you could suddenly see was phone screens.  The guys are right there in front of you, just get involved!

Remember having to steam in watching Vintage Trouble at BDs a few years back because Ty's crowdsurf was about to go tits up as everyone was filming and no-one was there to carry him.  Ended up with maybe 2 of us holding him up before enough people realised and put their phones down to join in!

One of my friends lives in the states and saw Kasabian during the the week, and I got sent a video of Serge in the crowd by him that he filmed himself....I mean why? just get stuck in! and plenty of others all filming it too! FFS

4 hours ago, JayBoogie said:

Now I've got a different take on that one. It was one person taking a photo, not a vid, and someone booming from the back of the crowd was way more disruptive. The 'shh' thing was annoying as well

Ah, I was quite near the front so wasn't sure who it was directed at. I agree it was a bit aggressive, but it did have an effect as I barely saw a phone for the rest of the gig. 

It's just a fact of life now that everyone has a bloody camera in their pocket isn't it. As a gig photographer, and therefore an expert, I have the added annoyance of seeing people taking photos at the wrong moments - when the lighting isn't good or half of the band have their backs turned. Tsk so amateurish. Of course, all of MY phone-cam pics are ace and well worth it 😁

Edited by kerplunk

Would venues being able to block signal temper the use of mobile phones? Is that even possible?* I see a lot of people live streaming to various social media platforms or even WhatsApp videoing their friends that obviously weren't able to attend. Not that either of these things bother me, it's just how things are now.

* I have to say, in most O2 venues I can hardly get a signal, ironically.

I'd imagine a lot of the complaints regarding phones come from people who experienced gigs before the introduction of tech. Funnily enough, earlier on I was reminded of this legendary clip from Quadrant Park in 1990. Would the removal of phones be enough to experience euphoric moments like this again? Are they such an evil? Or are we less fun these days generally? 

I wonder what phone they filmed this on?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

It's just a fact of life now that everyone has a bloody camera in their pocket isn't it. As a gig photographer, and therefore an expert, I have the added annoyance of seeing people taking photos at the wrong moments - when the lighting isn't good or half of the band have their backs turned. Tsk so amateurish. Of course, all of MY phone-cam pics are ace and well worth it 😁

Some of the video skills do make me question the point when people are bolloxed though and the videos a mixture of landscape / portrait and on the piss . Might as well put the phone down and just enjoy it instead …  I’ll take the odd video maybe even a single song where it can be done without too much distraction or where the tempo has slowed . I’ve had a couple that the band has been able to use in its socials too . The rest of the gig I’ll be fully imersed in whatever’s onstage 

19 hours ago, ModernMan said:

Been at a gig tonight, a tame singer songwriter affair. Someone in front filming taking pictures every two mins, the person next to her on Reddit checking the setlist from a previous gig. A group of girls down the row all together and filming non stop. Another woman with her partner, filmed every single song. 

I’m not a Luddite, I understand people have a powerful camera in their pocket and may want a memento, but the frequency is baffling. Not only that, but it completely ruins the experience for me. The distraction of the light really takes you out of the zone, leaves me personally filling up with annoyance and rage - effectively ruining the show. For me, you should honour and respect the artist you’re seeing with your full attention, I see no reason for the shocking frequency at which people hold up phones. 

How can we return to a time where people have more respect and prefer to enjoy the moment than capture it? I’ve been to several gigs where your phones are confiscated and it’s wonderful. Similarly when the artist calls it out and requests people not to, or directs them to one song only. It fills me with total despair to come away from a gig feeling that I couldn’t concentrate or enjoy because of all the distractions. 

Out of upvotes. 

6 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

It's a tough one...people enjoy music in different ways I suppose.

I'm with you on it, i'd have them banned. I find music completely immersive and love going into that other world place with the crowd. I do like to capture one or two moments, but that's of the people around me singing dancing than the actual act on stage, I can watch the band set back on youtube so pointless videoing the stage imo.

But, my husband enjoys music in a very different way to me. He loves music too but it's not at all nostalgic or immersive. He'll just have it on in the background and bop his head a bit as he carries on his business. That's impossible to me, I'm so distracted when I've got music on because I can't help but disappear into a daydream, definitely doesn't help me focus 🤣🤣

So in that sense, I see how people enjoy music in different ways and who are we to get involved and put more blooming rules on society. Is it maybe just a 'you' problem, if you're distracted...move. Why is it someone else's job to pussy foot around you for your entertainment when they want to research the band on reddit or whatever which is pretty harmless really. (I'm playing devil's advocate but...)

Ultimately, live and let live and if you don't like it don't look 🤷🏼‍♀️

...sure your fella is a lovely dude, but if he's not well into it then he (by he, I mean anyone not well into it, not a pop at him!) shouldn't be going to a gig that someone is gutted they missed...

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

...sure your fella is a lovely dude, but if he's not well into it then he (by he, I mean anyone not well into it, not a pop at him!) shouldn't be going to a gig that someone is gutted they missed...

But that's the point...he is into it. Just in a different way 🤷🏼‍♀️

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

That's cool, I can dig that...but does he film loads? That's the no for me, thought you were defending that...

No, he doesn't do that either thankfully. He learnt his lesson when he came to watch one of my shows once and I came on stage to see him lit up like a Christmas tree in the audience checking the sports results 🤦🏼‍♀️ Learnt his lesson fast

He's just an example to me of someone who enjoys arts and music 'differently' to me. Doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate it. So I try not to judge other people on their phones just because I don't do it. Doesn't really matter I guess.

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum