Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2024

northernringo

38 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Is it?

I think it's more not a thing than is a thing.

Killers (though supposedly the headline set was stepping in for someone), Biffy Clyro?

If someone has the time, we could do with a full run down on this.

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it's more not a thing than is a thing.

Killers (though supposedly the headline set was stepping in for someone), Biffy Clyro?

If someone has the time, we could do with a full run down on this.

Yeah that's what I thought. Can't remember anyone returning the year after a secret set in recent years.

Basically it's not really a thing.

One that I've actually just thought of is Loyle Carner, he did a set in the Rabbit Hole 2022 and obviously headlined WH 2023. Paolo Nutini also did a Rabbit Hole set in 2022 and I thought that meant he'd be back in 2023, but it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Ok, so there's The Killers. Who are all the others?

It used to happen years ago. I think: Dizzee Rascal, Franz Ferdinand, The Dead Weather, and Biffy Clyro all ended up with good Pyramid/Other Stage slots after playing The Park.

It stopped happening when they stopped the secret slots on The Park for however many years. Foals got a good slot after playing The Park in 2019 though...

Looking at all of the recently announced festivals this week, it feels as if we're really, really in the depths of headline sized acts at the moment. Not necessarily in terms of quality, just in terms of 'f**k me, they're back again', - so many of these headliners are on their 2nd/3rd year of touring/festivals. All feels very stale.

Edited by JayDiesel

1 minute ago, JayDiesel said:

Looking at all of the recently announced festivals this week, it feels as if we're really, really in the depths of headline sized acts at the moment. Not necessarily in terms of quality, just in terms of 'f**k me, they're back again', - so many of these headliners are on their 2nd/3rd year of touring/festivals. All feels very stale.

I don't think it's just the headliner pool, I think it's the pool in general. Most bands are doing tour, then fests the year after, so nothing really feels special or like a coup. QOTSA and FOB for Download, both touring now. Blink nailed on for R&L, toured last month. Coldplay toured this Summer. Madonna playing now. I think Covid messed a lot of plans up with timing and how bands work now, but hopefully after this touring cycle where every band under the sun has toured and done fests, we start to see a bit of a shift. 

13 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

I don't think it's just the headliner pool, I think it's the pool in general. Most bands are doing tour, then fests the year after, so nothing really feels special or like a coup. QOTSA and FOB for Download, both touring now. Blink nailed on for R&L, toured last month. Coldplay toured this Summer. Madonna playing now. I think Covid messed a lot of plans up with timing and how bands work now, but hopefully after this touring cycle where every band under the sun has toured and done fests, we start to see a bit of a shift. 

It is definitely the same case lower down the bill, but I find that slightly less frustrating as you can see bands play b2b years at fests quite regularly on the come up. Though, that being said, it's boring af to just see acts like Rina Sawayama and Phoenix high on bills again. I like both of those acts, but I saw them at Primavera in 2022, it's been two entire years since then, surely there must be demand for other acts

24 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

That's why the G getting the likes of Elton, Macca and hopefully Madge keeps it ahead of the crowd.

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'd be up for some Time to Say Goodbye, cider in hand

I'd be honest, I'd have him fifth on the Pyramid to lead into the Legends Slot.

Gli arredi festivi
2 Di quella pira
3 Va, pensiero
4 Libiamo ne' lieti calici
5 Mamma
6 Vieni sul mar!
7 'O surdato 'nnammurato
8 Funiculì, funiculà
9 Canto della terra
10 Time to Say Goodbye
11 Nessun dorma

A very nice lead-in for the deckchair crowd. (Of which I am a card-carrying member.)