So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

No... I have had to swap to volunteering. My luck ran out in 2020.

I think my luck ran out when my fallback volunteering spot became a bit un-doable since Shelter/Avalon started running coaches from Bristol only.

I could (just about) make it to London for stupid o'clock in the morning. The logistics of having to be in Bristol for that time are a total brain/ballache.

Really peeved that this change has possibly geographically written off the chance of volunteering for a lot people who have previously put in years.

8 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I think my luck ran out when my fallback volunteering spot became a bit un-doable since Shelter/Avalon started running coaches from Bristol only.

I could (just about) make it to London for stupid o'clock in the morning. The logistics of having to be in Bristol for that time are a total brain/ballache.

Really peeved that this change has possibly geographically written off the chance of volunteering for a lot people who have previously put in years.

I travel from Ireland so I would stay overnight in a hostel in Bristol anyway....

17 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I travel from Ireland so I would stay overnight in a hostel in Bristol anyway....

I'm not saying it's not doable. I have seriously tried to work out the logistics.*

But it is massively moved goalposts and would involve way more expenditure.

I think I maybe a bit too old for hostels (don't they have an age limit?).

*So. Drive to Bristol aiming to get there for Monday night for the stupid o'clock Tuesday morning coaches. Sleep in car. But. Where am I going to park the car for the whole weekend? Not likely going to be near the coach pick up point is it?!

It;s all scary new stuff.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm not saying it's not doable. I have seriously tried to work out the logistics.*

*So. Drive to Bristol aiming to get there for Monday night for the stupid o'clock Tuesday morning coaches. Sleep in car. But. Where am I going to park the car for the whole weekend? Not likely going to be near the coach pick up point is it?!

Nope.

We have plenty of older guests. City hostels a bit different to rural ones like the one I work in but I've also see older guests (we're talking 60s/70s) when I've stayed in those too. Indie backpackers might skew  bit younger but YHAs often feel like everyone's forgotten what the Y stands for

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

Definitely not in for tickets in main sale. Unlikely to be in for resale unless a significant change to my finances happens.

Balti-pie dislikes this. You thought about volunteering? It takes just as much annual leave (more, if anything) but is a) notably lighter on the purse and b) a really different experience to that of a ticket holder. i very recommend, it doesnt suit everyone but now i'm in its hard to imagine paying again 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Balti-pie dislikes this. You thought about volunteering? It takes just as much annual leave (more, if anything) but is a) notably lighter on the purse and b) a really different experience to that of a ticket holder. i very recommend, it doesnt suit everyone but now i'm in its hard to imagine paying again 

I have kinda considered it, but annual leave is another factor.  Plus if we find a holiday deal and I tell Mrs Q we can't do it because I'm a Glasto volunteer, that's a pretty quick way to divorce and / or violence.

I'm happy with it tbh.  Had a good run and it's good to take a break every now and again.  Plus I like the fact I'm making the call under my own steam rather than trying for avenues and not knowing whether it'll happen or not. Nice and easy to get my head in the right space well in advance!

35 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Also, do we need to have a chat about you talking about yourself in the third person? 😄

]

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I have kinda considered it, but annual leave is another factor.  Plus if we find a holiday deal and I tell Mrs Q we can't do it because I'm a Glasto volunteer, that's a pretty quick way to divorce and / or violence.

I'm happy with it tbh.  Had a good run and it's good to take a break every now and again.  Plus I like the fact I'm making the call under my own steam rather than trying for avenues and not knowing whether it'll happen or not. Nice and easy to get my head in the right space well in advance!

Better to come from you, than have it foisted upon you, completely fair enough! Missing a year or two isnt too bad, it can engender a real feeling of missing out and get you desperate to go again the next year. There's a lot of world to see, and glastonbury is on most years 👍 Where you thinking of holidaying?

On 10/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, MrZigster said:

Could you use one of the Park and Ride's in Bristol? I think you can leave your car overnight but not sure if you can sleep in it.

Maybe there's someone here who lives in Bristol and has a spare space in their driveway.

Edited by Ommadawn
  • Upvote 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:40 PM, Quark said:

2023 was the first I didnt go to in 20 years (apart from 08 which was by choice) and I didn't miss it at all tbh. Almost exclusively down to there being far too many people on site in 2022. 

Now if I missed 22 and Macca that would've been different but him aside, could've skipped 22 aswell no bother.

No, no age limit, just a willingness to put up with sleeping in a dormitory.  For a single person it really works out much cheaper than a hotel, also because you can use the kitchen. Plenty of older folk. In fact, in the dormitories it is mostly older guests. Younger travellers (those that grew up in the smartphone era) do not seem to want to share, and look scared when spoken to by someone they haven't met before!

Not sure about parking. I use public transport.

It's a no from us, I hadn't been since 2011 till last year and the OH since 2015.

So doing 2022 together was cool, but no rush to go back...

It's a £1000 for us to go before leaving the house, 2 x tickets plus large live in ticket. 

Then fuel, drinks, food, extras.... 

And then both of us missing a week or so working, and as we work events, it's another couple of grand or so down...

Where am I going to park the car for the whole weekend? Not likely going to be near the coach pick up point is it?!

where is the coach pick-up?i'll try a parking suggestion for you.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:40 PM, Quark said:

Will miss seeing you and @stuartbert two hatsthere but I can understand that at the moment it's quite a big indulgence for one person. I luckily can still justify it because it's our main holiday of the year and both Mr Gigpusher and I go but I don't think I could justify the cost (both financially and the time) if it was just something for me.

To anyone missing one….

I took a hiatus in 2013 and 2014.

Decided not to go after doing 6 festivals in a row and wanting to do some other sh*t.

Travelled a bit, did some different holidays and didn’t miss the G one bit.

Came back in 2015 and it’s one of my fave ever festivals. 

The RTJ > Caribou > Hot Chip night is still the best night I’ve had on the farm.

I saw the festival in a different light and had a load more gratitude for being there.

So whether you’re not going out of choice or it’s enforced, view it as a good thing. You can be there again some day if you wish. And you will love it even more. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

To anyone missing one….

I took a hiatus in 2013 and 2014.

Decided not to go after doing 6 festivals in a row and wanting to do some other sh*t.

Travelled a bit, did some different holidays and didn’t miss the G one bit.

Came back in 2015 and it’s one of my fave ever festivals. 

The RTJ > Caribou > Hot Chip night is still the best night I’ve had on the farm.

I saw the festival in a different light and had a load more gratitude for being there.

So whether you’re not going out of choice or it’s enforced, view it as a good thing. You can be there again some day if you wish. And you will love it even more. 

I haven't missed one since my first one in 2009 but I don't like the thought of it happening without me.  I'd have serious fomo and have to have a complete media blackout!

Did you watch any coverage on the years you missed?