So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

I've done 12 and I've seen everyone I've ever wanted to see at Glasto (sometimes pultiple times) going back to 1994. The festival seems to moving in a more pop direction so if , as rumored the headliners are one of Dua Lipa, the 1975, Rhianna/Madonna, Harry Styles etc, I think I will call time. Lot of money and effort. Will prbably still try for a ticket but at the moment I'm not fuseed either way and would like to use the money on other festivals as Glasto wipes me out!

8 minutes ago, faymondo said:

10th Glastonbury, going since 2010. I turn 50 in September. Thinking it might be time for a pre erected tent. The drag from the car to Bushy Ground is a killer. 

Also 10 since my first in 2010 but I've got 6 years on you. I have to say, Sticklinch does feel appealing as I'm sweating my way through Wednesday morning but maybe not just yet.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We are prepared not to get tickets especially with all the increased demand and the possibility that the sale will go ahead in the same way as the April resale did. Of course we will be disappointed but we’ve had a good run. Elton was a great way to sign off though we are adamant that we will try. It will probably be our last. 

You must have racked up a fair few visits now mate? 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Also 10 since my first in 2010 but I've got 6 years on you. I have to say, Sticklinch does feel appealing as I'm sweating my way through Wednesday morning but maybe not just yet.

This is the first time it’s looking like we’ll go Sticklinch or Love Fields

Getting so so old!

Must admit after 2022 I was ready to call it a day.

Volunteering this year was like a shot in the arm though. Think a lot of that was because for the first time in 14 festivals it wasn't all about getting out of my mind for a week and I actually had to be responsible.

The "breaks" from the festival itself served similar to that of giving your phone an extra bit of battery by putting it on charge midday.

Situations may dictate I don't attend next year but this time around it won't be because I don't fancy it.

If anyone is feeling like I did in 2022 I recommend giving it a year of doing the festival differently. It might serve you well too.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, just to add.

This year was the first I've done what I wanted to rather than bow to peer pressure.

Headliner finished and I was off to the tent whilst my friends went out in to the night.

Moral of the story - do you.

• Upvote 2

2023 was my 17th Glastonbury and I’m turning 50 this year.. no thoughts of calling it a day.. it still feels as exciting and joyous as it did when I first went in 1997 aged 23.   
Definitely feel it in my legs more than I used to though, I’m going to up the pre glasto training next year if I get tickets.

Id actually considered a break from Efests and the festival for a bit .... sometimes the online sh*t gets a bit much for my mental health  but f**k the haters tbh ... ive had some lovely messages and ill continue . As long as im physically able .This year was definately more about the wed and thurs and mates rather than rushing to see bands but im happy with that 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I started late (48) in 2007 and have missed 08 (deliberately) and 22 (ticket luck ran out)…. Bringing, then teenage, daughters since 2009…

Having 11 years in the CV Fields and never really having a feeling for the majority of music on offer in the late night areas means I haven’t had the difficult transition from the ‘full on’ described by many..

this year I walked less and certainly drank less than any other festival previously.. but I certainly see a potential future of enjoying a different view of the festival.. 

missing out on tickets in 22 felt like a personal slight initially but I am much more accepting of it not being a given in future… maybe if I miss out a couple of years in a row I will just stop trying..

I haven't been since 2014, my 20th, and have not tried for tickets since. In 2016 I retired from festivals altogether. Reading 1976 was the first and Womad 2016 the last, so after 40 years of festivals it seemed like a good time to call it a day. Sometimes I get the urge, but on the whole I don't regret my decision. My 14 year old dog has also been grateful for the last 7 kennel free years.

• Like 1

I'm more or less guaranteed a ticket and camper van pass every year, so why not go.

What will make me stop?

Probably when/if I become incapable of doing 3 or 4 all nighters on the trot. Of course I could change it up and do the festival in a different way, but for me 10pm to 6am is the best part. I'd really struggle to go to bed thinking is it "kicking off" in The Temple.

This was our 15th, not done yet. Been camping other festivals since 95 but first Glastonbury wasn’t until 2004.

Aiming for 20 (maybe 25 😄) before retiring. Might miss a few along the way if not blessed by ticket gods. Prepared to treat ourselves to a couple of glamping years if that’s what it takes. Got 3 camping festivals pencilled in for next year so not slowing down yet.

Edited by I am Jon

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Must admit after 2022 I was ready to call it a day.

Volunteering this year was like a shot in the arm though. Think a lot of that was because for the first time in 14 festivals it wasn't all about getting out of my mind for a week and I actually had to be responsible.

The "breaks" from the festival itself served similar to that of giving your phone an extra bit of battery by putting it on charge midday.

Situations may dictate I don't attend next year but this time around it won't be because I don't fancy it.

If anyone is feeling like I did in 2022 I recommend giving it a year of doing the festival differently. It might serve you well too.

Tbh, I'd quite like to do that anyway. If my mates dont do - I might look at volunteering

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

You must have racked up a fair few visits now mate? 🙂 

16, with the last 9 on the trot, the rest spread out down the years. I just feel the ticket sale next year is going to be even more carnage that usual.  Not asking for payments immediately, others in big organised groups, the bbc coverage encouraging more wanting to go and the brilliant weather in the last four festivals will all combine to make tickets so hard to come by.

lve had a good run, and just hope for a few more🤞😉😊

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

16, with the last 9 on the trot, the rest spread out down the years. I just feel the ticket sale next year is going to be even more carnage that usual.  Not asking for payments immediately, others in big organised groups, the bbc coverage encouraging more wanting to go and the brilliant weather in the last four festivals will all combine to make tickets so hard to come by.

lve had a good run, and just hope for a few more🤞😉😊

Completely agree, I've accepted that I won't be going every year from now on.....and given I've had a run of 15 on the trot I can hardly complain. 🙂  

Last year I thought, 1 more and I'll be done. This year was brilliant though, shared with good friends. I saw it a bit differently this and my sprog worked it for the first time too, which bizarrely focused my days a bit. I still want my spouse to experience what has been a major part of my life for nearly 30 years too.

Fingers crossed for not stopping yet!

I remember in 2007  i decided to  have a  break from the festival so we decided to go to London  for a few days

as the weekend got closer i realised id made a mistake and went on a bit of a downer ,mrs cidy understood and was very understandable.

So on the day of departure to london we boarded the train ,and guess where it stopped ,bloody castle cary with a  platform full excited festival goers and i have to admit i got quite emotional and vowed not to miss another one by choice.

Will be interesting to see how i feel next year.

I have always done the festival as cheap as possible take own booze and food etc ,last few years we camped in ashcombe car park ,no lugging gear in as i find the queuing and the hassle of leaving on  monday a pain ,been stuck in carparks over the years too many times 

Only 15 min walk to gate D Which was a doddle . 

So next yer i wont try to avoid it like 2007 but enjoy the coverage and remember the good times 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Next year will also be 20 years since I first set foot on the farm.

Can't miss that.

That's a good point, next year is 30 since my first so I have to go!

I did decide I wasn't going anymore in 2017, but after covid sucking the life out of everything 22 & 23 have been great fun. 

This year was my 12th and I had a banger and I am already looking forward to next year (but first Boomtown which is in some ways more intense - I love it though).

Have changed my behaviour a lot over the years, I have a lot more stamina now due to fitness and clean living, and I feel much better in the aftermath.

This is a festival that can accommodate all ages - take a gander round the Green Fields for proof of that.