Bar of the year 2023

Skip997

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Unpopular opinion time; IMO some of these bars (Maceos/Broken Britian and to some extent Guerilla) have made the mistake of providing access to general public. I understand it's to make more money and allow crew to hang out with their non-crew mates, but it occasionally leads to them having long queues and having to deny further entry. This can prevent crew from accessing their own bars (Imagine being a tired Oxfam steward waiting a rest and decent pint not being able to access their fav bar). I was pleased to see Maceos put up a crew only notice at the entrance at busy times this year.

Believe it or not I absolutely agree with you. I don’t think that anyone would begrudge the workers somewhere quiet to relax after their shifts. Where I do get a bit queasy is where there seem to be pools of punters that seem to have access to things that people paying the same price don’t have. By all means have crew bars but keep them for people who are working and don’t create an upper class of ticket holders. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

No, it was there last year.

Definitely was, my mate played in there last year (and this year). I can't be certain but I think it was there in 2019 too. Used to be the Fluffy Rock Cafe and definitely was still there as this in 2016 as I kind of played a set there that year, so The Open Arms could have been there in 2017 too.

Edited by Johnnyseven
  • Like 1

Despite upvoting Skip's last comment, I'm not a massive fan of crew bars when the show is on. They are great before gates open but I generally get stuck into the big party that's provided when the show is on. 

When the best party on the planet is going off, I can't understand people's obsession with getting into a crew bar. Of course exhausted workers may want to go there to escape and chill during their downtime.... but I'd personally choose various other places onsite to do that. Nicer and more chilled😀

And to go back to the original question, Avalon Inn. The two storey timber frame with the shingle roof is about as lovely as a drinking establishment can get! 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Despite upvoting Skip's last comment, I'm not a massive fan of crew bars when the show is on. They are great before gates open but I generally get stuck into the big party that's provided when the show is on. 

When the best party on the planet is going off, I can't understand people's obsession with getting into a crew bar. 

Am totally in agreement here. Did you read my review of Glastonbury 2023 on here?

7 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Despite upvoting Skip's last comment, I'm not a massive fan of crew bars when the show is on. They are great before gates open but I generally get stuck into the big party that's provided when the show is on

When the best party on the planet is going off, I can't understand people's obsession with getting into a crew bar. Of course exhausted workers may want to go there to escape and chill during their downtime.... but I'd personally choose various other places onsite to do that. Nicer and more chilled😀

And to go back to the original question, Avalon Inn. The two storey timber frame with the shingle roof is about as lovely as a drinking establishment can get! 

Same. 

Can be handy for a toilet stop though.

15 hours ago, Badlands said:

I miss Kasbah - Tap House music left me feeling old. Didn't really go any earlier than the 90's and every other song felt like it was Arctic Monkeys

That's the one! I couldn't remember the new name. But you're right, I miss Kasbah too. Loved it there.

16 hours ago, gorfield said:

I ended up there! it was good fun! Def going to do a wheel of 4 tunes myself sometime!

Yeah it was great fun. I went with @vintagelaureateand some of his mates off his recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed. I remember saying "Christmas, CHRISTMAS!" every time they span the wheel. There was something quite enjoyable about listening to All I Want For Christmas in the middle of June at Glastonbury 😄 

14 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Definitely was, my mate played in there last year (and this year). I can't be certain but I think it was there in 2019 too. Used to be the Fluffy Rock Cafe and definitely was still there as this in 2016 as I kind of played a set there that year, so The Open Arms could have been there in 2017 too.

Fluffy Rock was once of my favourite venues. Some great small acts in there, plus cocktails for £5. A bar had definitely replaced Fluffy Rock for 2019 but can’t remember if it was called “Open Arms” then - think it might have been called something else? Not sure 🤔

30 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Fluffy Rock was once of my favourite venues. Some great small acts in there, plus cocktails for £5. A bar had definitely replaced Fluffy Rock for 2019 but can’t remember if it was called “Open Arms” then - think it might have been called something else? Not sure 🤔

I think it's been the Open Arms aver since Fluffy Rock was no more.

On 7/6/2023 at 12:01 AM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Yea totally this.

Admit I use WH for the toilet when the festival is in full swing. Friday that did lead me to also getting a drink as when I came out the loo Mrs Q had been challenged to a game of table tennis, and obviously the challenge had to be accepted.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:08 PM, DareToDibble said:

I forget the name but whatever used to be Kasbah on the walk up to West Holts was great this year. Playing a lot of music during the night. Had a great night there before heading to Sensation Seekers for Wheel of Four Tunes.

That was the Taphouse....I worked there with my brother and the nights were such joyous occasions