Meet me in the bathroom - book recs

internetjef

35 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

My friends family had this book in their bathroom, spent a fair time flicking through, reading bits. Gave me insight to a world we'd only hear his parents talk about at parties, "the good old days, real parties".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-How-Not-Run-Club/dp/184739177X

Thanks for that, just bought it

I was on the guest list for the Hacienda in the late 80's

Quiet a few recommended already that I enjoyed. A few more I've loved or have great reviews and are on my list:

Jeff Chang - Can't Stop Won't Stop (history of hiphop) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cant-Stop-Wont-History-Generation/dp/0312425791

Fredric Dannen - Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money (History/expose of the music business/record labels) https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Men-Brokers-Inside-Business/dp/0679730613

Luke Haines - Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall (Memoir from the 90s by the singer of The Auteurs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Vibes-Britpop-part-downfall/dp/0099522268

Jacob Slichter - So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star (Memoir by the drummer in Semisonic) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wanna-Rock-Roll-Star-Machine-Gunned/dp/0767914716

Walter Yetnikoff - Howling At The Moon (Memoir/biography of the head of CBS Records throughout the 70s/80s) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Howling-At-Moon-Story-Genius/dp/0349118906

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

My friends family had this book in their bathroom, spent a fair time flicking through, reading bits. Gave me insight to a world we'd only hear his parents talk about at parties, "the good old days, real parties".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-How-Not-Run-Club/dp/184739177X

His 2 books on Joy Division and New Order are worth a read too. Bernard Sumner's autobiography is kinda boring though.

18 hours ago, goonerben said:

There was a great book published last year called "Exit Stage Left: The Curious Afterlife of Pop Stars", by Nick Duerden. 

He tracks down and talks to all manner of people who have ridden the rollercoaster to the top - and then back down again (and some back up again).  Lots of musicians' stories feature in it - would thoroughly recommend it.

I read that and had to think about it when Mantra of the Cosmos appeared!

Siren Song by Seymour Stein (he was the owner of Sire Records)

England's Dreaming - Jon Savage (Punk)

Live at the Brixton Academy - Simon Parkes (was the owner of BA)

Justified & Ancient - Mick Houghton (PR guy)

Record, Play, Pause - Stephen Morris

Tenement Kid - Bobby Gillespie

Remain in Love - Chris Frantz (drummer in Talking Heads)

On 7/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Yokel Again said:

Love a music biog.

Just Kids by Patti Smith is the best I've read. 

A book called Mr Gig is quite good if you are turning/close to 40. About one guys relationship with live music as he reaches middle age. Can't remember the author!

Wouldn’t call it a music blog, but have you looked at The Red Hand Files? 

Just got Nick Cave’s latest (audio)book after listening to his conversation with Louis Theroux on Spotify. 

On 7/5/2023 at 6:50 AM, gigpusher said:

The Sound of being human by Jude Rogers is also good. She actually incorporates interviews with psychologists about the impact music has on us.

Just ordered this based on your recommendation - thanks!

I've been playing Jessie Ware's That! Feels Good since I've been back home, and read an article in which she references Love Saves The Day by Tim Lawrence, a deep dive into the origin and evolution of dance music and the birth of disco in America during the 1970's. I've always felt so free and liberated when jiving to disco, so I ordered a copy and can't wait to grow a deeper appreciation for the genre and its historical culture.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 11:26 PM, internetjef said:

Evening all.

Not a Glasto direct question but I think there could be some helpful posters on this forum to help me out .

Just finished reading the book meet me in the bathroom , about the early 2000s New York music scene (strokes / yyys etc).

I haven’t read any books like this before about music scenes / time periods. Really enjoyed it, esp when I found a 5 hr playlist on Spotify that had every track mentioned in the book  which I could put on quietly in background while reading.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for music books of a similar nature?

I’m 40 so I guess it helps that the one mentioned here was a time I was really getting into music while at uni etc.

ps - the one other music book I have read is the Glastonbury book that came out a few years back 

I did not expect to find a great thread with book recommendations here. Thanks for all the suggestions!

A Fabulous Creation: How the LP Saved Our Lives by David Hepworth is quite a good read as a year-by-year snapshot of the development of the album as a concept and the combo of industry and social changes around it. It does get a bit old man yells at cloud at times, but if you can get past that it's decent.  Got his Abbey Road book to read soon as well.

Bob Marley: The Untold Story by Chris Salewicz also good, really enjoyed that one.

There And Black Again by Don Letts was pretty good, mixture of autobiography and the development of Punk.  I'm a fan of Letts so enjoyed it, but might not be for everyone.

The People’s Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records by Stuart Maconie was a great read for me personally.  Does what it says on the tin, takes 50 songs over 50 years and does a chapter on what's happening in Britain at the time that ties in with it.

Also picked up a copy of 1,001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die in a charity shop a while back.  Great (if weighty) book if you fancy something to pick up and read a few pages, or get some inspiration on what to listen to.

Currently reading Perfect Circle: The Story of REM by Tony Fletcher.  3 chapters in and love it, going right from the initial meetings in Athens through to the time they called it a day. 

Edited by Quark

Paper Cuts - Ted Kessler is an interesting story about his time as a music journalist and how the music press is being killed off.

Bunnyman: A Memoir by Will Sergeant is a decent read especially considering I'm not even especially a Bunnymen fan.

My Thoughts Exactly by Lily Allen was quite an interesting read.

Exit Stage Left: The curious afterlife of pop stars is an interesting look at what people do when their 15 minutes of fame is up.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, internetjef said:

Evening all.

Not a Glasto direct question but I think there could be some helpful posters on this forum to help me out .

Just finished reading the book meet me in the bathroom , about the early 2000s New York music scene (strokes / yyys etc).

I haven’t read any books like this before about music scenes / time periods. Really enjoyed it, esp when I found a 5 hr playlist on Spotify that had every track mentioned in the book  which I could put on quietly in background while reading.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for music books of a similar nature?

I’m 40 so I guess it helps that the one mentioned here was a time I was really getting into music while at uni etc.

ps - the one other music book I have read is the Glastonbury book that came out a few years back 

theres a couple of great ones by andrew loog oldham

- 2 stoned

- stone free

- just noticed another (ive not read) 'rolling stoned'

loog was a sidekick of the rolling stones, and did the music that the verve ripped off

Edited by Neil

22 hours ago, Quark said:

A Fabulous Creation: How the LP Saved Our Lives by David Hepworth is quite a good read as a year-by-year snapshot of the development of the album as a concept and the combo of industry and social changes around it. It does get a bit old man yells at cloud at times, but if you can get past that it's decent.  Got his Abbey Road book to read soon as well.

Bob Marley: The Untold Story by Chris Salewicz also good, really enjoyed that one.

There And Black Again by Don Letts was pretty good, mixture of autobiography and the development of Punk.  I'm a fan of Letts so enjoyed it, but might not be for everyone.

The People’s Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records by Stuart Maconie was a great read for me personally.  Does what it says on the tin, takes 50 songs over 50 years and does a chapter on what's happening in Britain at the time that ties in with it.

Also picked up a copy of 1,001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die in a charity shop a while back.  Great (if weighty) book if you fancy something to pick up and read a few pages, or get some inspiration on what to listen to.

Currently reading Perfect Circle: The Story of REM by Tony Fletcher.  3 chapters in and love it, going right from the initial meetings in Athens through to the time they called it a day. 

I've been eyeing "A Fabulous Creation" myself; seems like a fascinating dive into the evolution of the album format. And anything Beatles-related usually piques my interest, so "Abbey Road" by Hepworth is definitely on my radar now. "Bob Marley: The Untold Story" sounds like a captivating read too; always down for a good music biography. Don Letts' "There And Black Again" sounds intriguing, especially if you're into the punk scene. And "The People’s Songs" seems like a unique take on British history through music. Plus, "1,001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die" sounds like a hefty but rewarding read for any music lover. Thanks for sharing your current read, "Perfect Circle: The Story of REM" – definitely adding that to my list!

45 minutes ago, talaw53863 said:

I've been eyeing "A Fabulous Creation" myself; seems like a fascinating dive into the evolution of the album format. And anything Beatles-related usually piques my interest, so "Abbey Road" by Hepworth is definitely on my radar now. "Bob Marley: The Untold Story" sounds like a captivating read too; always down for a good music biography. Don Letts' "There And Black Again" sounds intriguing, especially if you're into the punk scene. And "The People’s Songs" seems like a unique take on British history through music. Plus, "1,001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die" sounds like a hefty but rewarding read for any music lover. Thanks for sharing your current read, "Perfect Circle: The Story of REM" – definitely adding that to my list!

Should add that Hepworth's book is on the history of Abbey Road Studios rather than the album, but pretty sure there'll be a fair amount of Beatles-related chat in there.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:54 PM, gigpusher said:

Paper Cuts - Ted Kessler is an interesting story about his time as a music journalist and how the music press is being killed off.

Bunnyman: A Memoir by Will Sergeant is a decent read especially considering I'm not even especially a Bunnymen fan.

My Thoughts Exactly by Lily Allen was quite an interesting read.

Exit Stage Left: The curious afterlife of pop stars is an interesting look at what people do when their 15 minutes of fame is up.

Oooh  have exit stage left next in my reading pile