SE Corner - time for a refresh?

O'Doyle Rules

I wonder if they will revisit on the fallow year (2026?) - wholesale changes would require 2x years planning.

you’d think you’d be able to find actors for the alleyways where the salary is a free ticket?? Hell I talk utter shite to people there and pay £350 for the pleasure 😄

7 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I wonder if they will revisit on the fallow year (2026?) - wholesale changes would require 2x years planning.

you’d think you’d be able to find actors for the alleyways where the salary is a free ticket?? Hell I talk utter shite to people there and pay £350 for the pleasure 😄

Ya definitely doable, Boomtown is full to the brim of dancers, performers and actors, being a Bristol based festival and having links to Glasto it’s definitely doable if they want it, I would like to see a few more walkabouts scattered about in other areas 

16 hours ago, nikkic said:

IICON is visually one of the best stages at Glastonbury, but the programming is all wrong for the space. 

Needs much bigger names. 

They had some massive names this year. They just try and avoid dance music-by-numbers stuff.

Is there any atmosphere at IICON close up/ anywhere?

The various times I've been it's either half empty (most of first year) or rammed (Four Tet) and couldn't get close enough to feel involved. Whenever I've been I've always felt like a spectator to the main event, looking into it from outside the bubble, wherever I am in the field. 

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a genuinely amazing experience there, deeply involved in the music and crowd etc. 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Is there any atmosphere at IICON close up/ anywhere?

The various times I've been it's either half empty (most of first year) or rammed (Four Tet) and couldn't get close enough to feel involved. Whenever I've been I've always felt like a spectator to the main event, looking into it from outside the bubble, wherever I am in the field. 

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a genuinely amazing experience there, deeply involved in the music and crowd etc. 

My group had a really good time at IICON, wanted a good spot for Four Tet so got there for Cakes Da Killa onwards, who was  really good despite the small crowd - house music with a rapper and a dancer plus the visuals. The AV show they do every night is awesome, would definitely recommend it and we were right at the front for Four Tet. Was feeling quite tired after about 50 mins so sat down at the side and was still really nice taking in all the sound and visuals. Stayed there to the end with a bit more dancing. 

Four Tet up there for me in best sets of the weekend.

I think the volume of people that visit now days makes the micro venues and alleyways impossible. Used to be able to stroll round easy enough when they were there, a few years later it got really busy but only till about 3 or 4am, now it just doesn't seem to let up at all. In fact there's a second rush hour about 3 when the rest of the site shuts down.

Minor gripes - 

The dystopian style of Shangri-La feels dated since now more than ever does it feel like we are in a dystopia.  We don't need reminding of it since we live it every day.  At this point, leaning hard into a stylised utopia would be the more subversive direction.  The congestion in Shangri-la is generally quite terrible.  Not much that can be done due to space constraints but maybe, just maybe rethink having food stands facing the truth stage and find a way to route people heading to the toilet that doesn't involve them having to go across the truth stage.

ICONN is an amazing stage and a sight to behold but I'm getting older and recognise the names playing less and less and struggle with the more esoteric techno/electronica more and more.  There's a wealth of space on that field and if they had  slightly more mainstream djs on there, it could help with reducing congestion across the rest of the SEC. While I appreciate what the block9 guys are doing regarding their programming, ICONN can handle a big draw / crowds, its just a bit of shame they aren't maximising it's potential. it's probably a budget thing more than anything though.

The Unfairground could do with a refresh. I don't think it's changed much at all in nearly 10 years so feels quite stale.

16 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

There's a wealth of space on that field and if they had  slightly more mainstream djs on there, it could help with reducing congestion across the rest of the SEC.

Lets be honest, they could stick on a "best dance anthems ever" playlist and fill that field if they wanted. 

Some rando doing a bad Aphex Twin impression isn't going to cut it.

DJ Rando

Block 9 still works well. It takes up most of the space in SE corner so much more to work with. 

Shangri la & Unfairground are very very tired and boring now. They definitely need a revamp or become totally new areas with new names. 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Block 9 still works well. It takes up most of the space in SE corner so much more to work with. 

Shangri la & Unfairground are very very tired and boring now. They definitely need a revamp or become totally new areas with new names. 

I'd argue the same for The Common.

Once upon at time maybe, or is it just that I'm well aware of this and need to accept that some others aren't and that they're doing a good job of educating.

Shangri-La at Glastonbury Festival is a force to be reckoned with—a radical playground where art, activism, and transformation converge. By challenging societal norms, holding a mirror to our world, and pushing boundaries, Shangri-La invites festival-goers to engage with the power of creativity and collective action. It is a testament to the festival’s ethos of embracing diversity, inspiring change, and fostering a sense of communal rebellion. For those attending next year, step into Shangri-La and prepare to be moved, challenged, and forever transformed.

https://www.clashmusic.com/live/shangri-la-is-the-beating-heart-of-glastonburys-after-hours-identity/

21 hours ago, gfa said:

as long as people are there i guess its ok - although four tet bringing people in only to scare them off has the potential to cause big issues to be fair

Fair enough

not gonna lie - surely it would be ideal for a new cheese dj place?

It has a very different vibe to other places on site and offers an alternative. I’d hate to loose it for a SEC expansion. Personally I’d like to see the SEC re-bid. See what ideas entirely new groups could offer. 

For clarity. I meant I wouldn’t want to loose Avalon. 

Edited by sadimmock

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Lets be honest, they could stick on a "best dance anthems ever" playlist and fill that field if they wanted. 

Some rando doing a bad Aphex Twin impression isn't going to cut it.

DJ Rando

TBH I think as long as I can stand in a field and listen to some well known tunes (dance or otherwise) that would do me.

12 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

It has a very different vibe to other places on site and offers an alternative. I’d hate to loose it for a SEC expansion. Personally I’d like to see the SEC re-bid. See what ideas entirely new groups could offer. 

For clarity. I meant I wouldn’t want to loose Avalon. 

Never said remove it, just move it to elsewhere, maybe near Introducing and push SH out into Oxylers a bit more