Elton bloody John πŸš€

William Mann

No chatter where I was either, just undivided attention except for the occasionally call for a medic as some were not coping in that crowd.Β 

In terms of the set, I’m torn. In many ways I thought it was truly iconic. A moment in history played out before our eyes.Β 

In other ways it didn’t feel like there was much uniquely creative or in the moment, just carefully rehearsed songs that have been toured to within an inch of their life.Β 

Ultimately I think the festival provided the gravity rather than the performance. That’s not to say it wasn’t absolutely brilliant.Β 

As regulars will know, I was nowhere near Elton (went to Rudimental, which was a proper West Holts Sunday night party).

Anyway I'm curious as I heard very mixed reports - for some some it was fantastic, for others dreadful. I spoke to people at Rudimental who must have left within a few minutes of Elton starting. A mate phoned me to say 1000's were leaving as it was terrible.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He smashed the living sh*t out of it.

Anyone leaving would have been due to the size of the crowd and / or being unable to hear it well.

Thought the first half started slowly, but the second hour was up there with the great Pyramid moments.

We watched from the very, very back with all the other families and it was definitely quiet to begin with (if they are planning to keep Row Mead as extended viewing then they need another sound tower back there) but they must have turned it up at some point as the second half you could hear perfectly.

Few did leave around us after half an hour or so.

• Like 1