List your "frustrations" here

airwaves

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Ok mate, it's all the people with children's fault and we're idiots.

Clearly nothing could be done to address this issue. I'm sure if we brought a pram down the front you would have absolutely nothing to say about it either as it's common sense 🙄

I didn’t say anything about children, just that if you stand at the edge of the field by a thoroughfare people will push past you, and as an act like Elton gets closer that will intensify greatly.

Plus I’m hardly talking about the front of the field am I 😂😂😂

Edited by Jose Pose

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I don't really disagree. It's just unfortunate it seems to be such a problem at Glastonbury. 

Festivals like Greenman etc have much more considerate crowds around families / children. Glastonbury just seems to have a lot of entitled arseholes

Most of whom gravitate to the Pyramid.

I had a lovely festival. The venues I spent time at were: The Glade, The Park, West Holts, The Levels, Nowhere, Nomads, Mez Bar, Truth Stage, Genoysis (sp) and The Temple.

Not one "entitled arsehole" all weekend.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I had a lovely festival. The venues I spent time at were: The Glade, The Park, West Holts, The Levels, Nowhere, Nomads, Mez Bar, Truth Stage, Genoysis (sp) and The Temple.

People with a pram / toddlers wouldnt have had issues taking them into Skindred on Truth Stage, Fatboy Slim on The Park or Fred Again in The Temple?

Good to know.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I also had a lovely festival, and it was only the Elton show that we had these issues.

My point is some kind of crowd management is needed for those. Even some minor barriers to try and keep people flowing along paths / crossroads

But the time elton started the paths were basically two single lines of movement because so many people just stopped in the path blocking everyone

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I mean come on man, you missed Elton to watch Rudimental 😂 

Edited by Jose Pose

On 6/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, OllieWilliams said:

As someone who can usually only attend from the Thursday, it could be a good idea to reserve a field for Thursday arrivals, which only opens at, say, 6am on the Thursday.

This would cause less stress to us late arrivals but also encourage some people to come a day later. I am sure there are a few that rush down late on the Wednesday just because of the stress of finding a spot on the Thursday.

Backhouse used to be an overspill field that opened later, not sure if it was open this year

3 hours ago, themunn said:

My frustrations are more like "mild irritations" rather than being frustrated, but there are a couple:

1) Arcadia crew area/camping/Tow and Hitch now taking up the entirety of that field, which seems like a significant encroachment of space while there hasn't been any new innovation since Pangea (appreciate that was a large sunk expense for them)

2) General overall crowdedness everywhere I went - I don't know if it's through overselling or fence jumpers or what, but I queued more than ever for everywhere this year - even at HMS Sweet Charity of all places I was almost caught in a crush queueing to get in. I know a lot of people had complaints about 2022 but that wasn't my experience - I even made it into the Temple twice without queueing at all, so not sure if it's just a reversal of fortune but in reality I don't think they quite did as well in spreading the crowd out as they have done in previous years. I think they also need to find a way to extend to Silver Hayes license to 4am - at 3am (or even 2.30 on Sunday), people will still trek to the SE corner for another 2 hours of dancing, but if it finishes at 4 it's a bit of a mission that might only gain you an extra hour.

3) Lizzo/Maneskin and GNR/Leftfield clashes. I know clashes are part and parcel of Glasto, but that doesn't stop me getting frustrated at them!

4) Getting stomach ache at around 6pm on Friday and Saturday. Nothing kills my mood faster!

In any case, was still a fantastic time, can't really complain!

Not a criticism of your post at all, but it's interesting that people (lots of them) complain about both overcrowding AND clashes. Imagine what would happen if there were no clashes to split the crowd?

9 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I also had a lovely festival, and it was only the Elton show that we had these issues.

My point is some kind of crowd management is needed for those. Even some minor barriers to try and keep people flowing along paths / crossroads

But the time elton started the paths were basically two single lines of movement because so many people just stopped in the path blocking everyone

Was the same trying to get around the back of the Other stage during The Hives and that was at 1pm on the Friday! 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This is my point, surely if you just dump them outside the gate they'll try again?

Not advocating for anyone to be arrested at all, but curious to know what's done to stop them trying over and over again.

The last two years I've stewarded on Stickleball Gate (essentially the service gate for Sticklinch). The night shifts are just spent watching security kick fence jumpers out  with a cheery "see you in an hour lads"

2 hours ago, Clouds said:

Was talking to security at Sticklinch and they had tons of runners throughout the night on Thursday when it was quiet. Not sure if the runners realised they weren’t in the festival true when they were through.

There will be some who don't realise but I think some who know it's not really in the festival but see it as a potential weak spot. Get over the lowest fence, then rush the gate into the festival proper. No idea how well that works out for them                         

22 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Why would issuing a statement discouraging this type of travel upset the neighbours?! 

Because the neighbours are the ones advertising this service - did you ever watch the documentary about his complex relationship with neighbours? 

Sets starting late.  This did not happen for years.

Lana Del Rey's was her own doing.  Gabriels on West Holts started 20 minutes late as well, and was not given 'make-up' time, so presumably their own fault as well.

At John Peel on Saturday everything ran late, but acts were given their allotted time.  The delay got longer as the day went on - like Ryanair....

The opening ceremony at Toad Hall started late.  This was Wednesday afternoon....  I complained to the lady next to me, who introduced herself and said she was the coordinator of the stage.  Very well, but you would have thought that the first act on the first day could start on time.  She replied "They want to make sure to get it exactly right".  They should have started this making sure earlier then.

6 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Sets starting late.  This did not happen for years.

Lana Del Rey's was her own doing.  Gabriels on West Holts started 20 minutes late as well, and was not given 'make-up' time, so presumably their own fault as well.

At John Peel on Saturday everything ran late, but acts were given their allotted time.  The delay got longer as the day went on - like Ryanair....

The opening ceremony at Toad Hall started late.  This was Wednesday afternoon....  I complained to the lady next to me, who introduced herself and said she was the coordinator of the stage.  Very well, but you would have thought that the first act on the first day could start on time.  She replied "They want to make sure to get it exactly right".  They should have started this making sure earlier then.

Woodsies on Saturday had a genuine issue. A crane reversed too far and ripped a small hole in the tent. They had to get it patched and inspected before they could continue. I guess that’s where they will come up with a different plan as it’s a genuine accident rather than artists being late.

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Woodsies on Saturday had a genuine issue. A crane reversed too far and ripped a small hole in the tent. They had to get it patched and inspected before they could continue. I guess that’s where they will come up with a different plan as it’s a genuine accident rather than artists being late.

I gathered it was something like that, as bands were not penalized timewise.

19 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I don't really disagree. It's just unfortunate it seems to be such a problem at Glastonbury. 

Festivals like Greenman etc have much more considerate crowds around families / children. Glastonbury just seems to have a lot of entitled arseholes

To be fair, festivals like Green Man are a tenth of the size. More people = more entitled arseholes.

It's true that there is often more space further forward if you can get there. The ring of people who just stand around the edges is really frustrating. Found this at the Truth stage for Craig Charles a few years ago. You could barely walk along the path at the top, but near the stage you could swing half a dozen cats there was so much room.

Very minor frustration but The Hive seemed a stage plonked in a completely random location. Felt for any acts playing on there as it never seemed to draw a captive audience - just people wandering past on their way to somewhere else. Is this the first year that stage has been there? 

58 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Very minor frustration but The Hive seemed a stage plonked in a completely random location. Felt for any acts playing on there as it never seemed to draw a captive audience - just people wandering past on their way to somewhere else. Is this the first year that stage has been there? 

Yep, this year was the first showing for The Hive and it did seem to be stuck out on a random corner on a walkway.  I'd been walking past it every day without even realising what it was until one evening I came past and the excellent Vlure were getting ready to perform an unannounced set on there.  I would have actually been chuffed to watch them on there as they're an exciting live band and it would have been a golden opportunity to see them close up without having to try too hard.  But I was simultaneously knackered and in need of a piss, and after an epic march to find the nearest urinals without a massive queue, I couldn't be arsed to retrace my steps.

2 hours ago, El Matador said:

It was in the same location last year. Though this year it did seem to have slightly higher status acts and so was more "notable".

1 hour ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

They’ve had 50+ years to perfect it, but my god the festival gets nearly everything right. Even a gripe you have for a year - good chance it’s solved next festival. Hats off to everyone involved with basically making me have the best week of my life every single year.

Nicely put 🙂