Grit in the eye

tarw

Assume its the realisation that this man is human like the rest of us. He has seemed superhuman for the last 50 years and suddenly we might be realising that he is vulnerable like the rest of us, especially being the age he is, crumbs he's 87, bloody wow! No doubt he will have many more happy years at the farm just maybe not quite as active, but hopefully enjoying his creation, hopefully he can sit back and enjoy it all, I wish him the best. The festival is in safe hands with Emily, I hope he enjoys the legacy he has created for many years to come

On 6/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, kalifire said:

Professional from Gabriels. Utterly stunning. The break before the finish was pure crowd elation. 

Glad I was the only one. We were probably all wearing sunglasses which was hiding the fact that we were all bawling 🙂

I had a moment too when Young Fathers got the crew to chant Refugees are welcome, and at the end of CMAT.

Raye - Ice Cream Man. A song she wrote about being sexually assaulted by a music producer and a song for all women’s experience of sexual harm. Her voice broke as she was introducing it which set me off crying before it even started, then all the way through it, then I had sun cream in my eyes and cried for the rest of her set!

• Like 1

Kae Tempest with Speakers Corner Quartet. Just seemed so excited to be up there amongst friends saying how they used to go as punters and now they're on the West Holts and other inspiring stuff. That whole London jazz scene that Speakers Corner are part of has just the best vibes.

They brought out Shabaka Hutchins and Joe from Ezra Collective too. No egos, no pretence, just loads of mates making great music. 

Unexpectedly, Badly Drawn Boy in the Acoustic. Not somebody I've really thought about for maybe a couple of decades but I was so keen for shade on Saturday afternoon. Turned out to be a really moving set in places (for him too) and when the guy did A Minor Incident I was in absolute bits, chin wobbling, the lot. 

Obviously a proper talented songwriter who's had his ups and downs over the years since he wrote those songs - hope he makes it back to form and we hear more of them. 

Don't know how he managed to get through it still wearing a woolly hat though...

The other teary moment was when Cat/Yusuf did Father and Son and the guy in front of me was singing it to his little son, but that feels too obvious. 

Also Gabriels as above. Didn't know the songs other than one or two, but just his voice was enough, bloody hell.

Edited by catavento
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, catavento said:

Unexpectedly, Badly Drawn Boy in the Acoustic. Not somebody I've really thought about for maybe a couple of decades but I was so keen for shade on Saturday afternoon. Turned out to be a really moving set in places (for him too) and when the guy did A Minor Incident I was in absolute bits, chin wobbling, the lot. 

Obviously a proper talented songwriter who's had his ups and downs over the years since he wrote those songs - hope he makes it back to form and we hear more of them. 

+1 for Damon. He still looks a little fragile but it was great seeing him finding his feet again. I was by myself and had a proper lip wobbling moment during Silent Sigh.

I cried my eyes out (at home) during Cat/Yusuf Stevens If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out. I didn’t expect him to play it so hearing my favourite song, featured heavily on my favourite film (Harold and Maude) threw me off. I so wish I’d been there.

Edited by GlastoFlow
Spelling mistake

I fell apart at the Pyramid on Friday  when they showed the faces of the three people killed in Nottingham on the screens with their mothers' quotes about tolerance, accompanied by John Lennon's Imagine.  Standing there with my two daughters I felt so emotional for the victims family and friends.