Overcrowding / Capacity (2022 vs 2023)

st dan

26 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

Time to extend to Thursday as a headliner day and open up fully, then your chilled days are Tuesday - Weds

This, 100% - I’d have no acts on Wed. / use for exploring site then Thursday go full scale….Thursday is an odd half-measure at this point that ends in disappointment for most if there is something actually worth seeing. 

Re-work the license & get the main stages going….toothpaste is kind of out of the tube at this point….locals aren’t going to be 1% more hassled if….the Park Stage has live acts on Thursday. 

39 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

If you’ve got a sensible 2 man tent, you’ll squeeze in. The local stewards will direct you. I’m in Hawkwell and, while it’s kinda sardine-y there’s a 2 man tent sized space next to us that we’re using to sit in. We expected to come ‘home’ last night to find someone in it. 

That is part of the issue, we arrived around 2.30-3 yesterday, we asked lots of stewards around the entrance where had availability and no one knew. If they had said XX XX camping sites are full then we could have taken our stuff to the relevant site. Loads of people just pushing trolleys around on Thursday with no availability unless you had kids, access or hospitality. Tbf the camping site managers around Wicket ground, Lime Kiln were helpful and radioed around to try and help.

There should be signs when you enter the gates telling you where there is availability. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

That is part of the issue, we arrived around 2.30-3 yesterday, we asked lots of stewards around the entrance where had availability and no one knew. If they had said XX XX camping sites are full then we could have taken our stuff to the relevant site. Loads of people just pushing trolleys around on Thursday with no availability unless you had kids, access or hospitality. Tbf the camping site managers around Wicket ground, Lime Kiln were helpful and radioed around to try and help.

There should be signs when you enter the gates telling you where there is availability. 

Some festivals now have 'live update' sections on a map app that tells you green/amber/red in terms of how busy camping areas are, and other bits of the site. Glastonbury is obviously far too budget and stuck in its ways to implement something like this but it would be really amazing and save a lot of hassle if there was a crowdsourced version people could plug into over Tues-Fri.

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Some festivals now have 'live update' sections on a map app that tells you green/amber/red in terms of how busy camping areas are, and other bits of the site. Glastonbury is obviously far too budget and stuck in its ways to implement something like this but it would be really amazing and save a lot of hassle if there was a crowdsourced version people could plug into over Tues-Fri.

I get they need to fund the festival by selling more hospitality, however general camp sites has reduced over the past few years, and if you are someone coming in via gate A you had no chance this year. I can't make it on Wednesday due to child care, however I have paid for camping so should be given the chance of getting my tent in on Thursday.

Anyway enough of me moaning, roll on the Hives in 90 mins.

10 hours ago, paulshane said:

This is my 21st Glastonbury,and based on last years crowds and previous pinch points over the years, I'd say it's a normal year so far.

Not 21 for me but quite a few and I'd agree. But then I didn't experience any of the bad crushes that others did last year. Crazy busy yes, but not dangerous at least for me.

Seems to be a lot quieter for fence jumpers this year. I'm working in Sticklinch again and it was madness for people coming over that way on my night shift. This year, barely a handful on the same shift. Don't know whether that's fewer trying or better/more security outside so they aren't even getting to the fence to try?

Security are definitely better and more experienced this year compared to last, at least the ones I was working with.

13 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Definitely doesn't seem anywhere as bad as last year for me, but will see how it goes today with bands starting

Big improvement for me

Great to hear as someone who isn't there!

I think the Thursday has and always will be crowded. My first Glastonbury (2015) I was pretty pissed off with the Thursday, as there wasn't a lot to do and everything I wanted to felt crowded and horrible. I (probably in good need of food, a rest and less alcohol) remember saying the festival wasn't for me on the Thursday evening. It was only when the music started on the Friday I loved it. It's actually my number one piece of advice to newbies, don't be put off by the crowds on the Thursday. Either wander or go early if there's something you really really want to see. 

But having said that, last year was a different level. It was totally unmanageable and felt crap all weekend. So to hear they've dealt with that is really heartening. I know the organisers care, so not that I doubted they'd sort it. 

• Like 2

Can't speak for 19 or 22 compared to 23 as didn't get tickets for those 2

But, compared to my many years run before that all seemed reasonable on me extended walk around for 10 to 2 on morning last night Thurs into Friday 

Biggest couldn't get past was skindred (?) at Truth stage. Had to turn around and back track to get out of SE corner 

Edited by airwaves
Typo

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

They normally have a large map at the entrances and other places, and keep updating them with a percentages, as to how full each field is

This year does seem to be back to ‘normal’, very busy on Weds and Thurs cos of few acts to disperse the crown. But it didn’t feel as busy as last year. Today will be the tester. I am at west holts waiting for Yaya Bey and it’s nicely busy but easy to find a bench.  Looking good. 

3 hours ago, TravSC said:

This, 100% - I’d have no acts on Wed. / use for exploring site then Thursday go full scale….Thursday is an odd half-measure at this point that ends in disappointment for most if there is something actually worth seeing. 

Re-work the license & get the main stages going….toothpaste is kind of out of the tube at this point….locals aren’t going to be 1% more hassled if….the Park Stage has live acts on Thursday. 

They’d have to open on Tuesday if they do that, or they’d have another traffic sh*t show like Download… 

Would force lots of normal Friday arrivals to arrive on Thursday or before condensing arrivals down and making traffic worse. 

Feels much busier to me this year. I notice they’ve opened up some of last year’s pinch points more though, like Pyramid - San Remo path. And no issues yet, other than I can’t be arsed to queue for food 🙈😂

Edited by Alvoram

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Pyramid is very quiet. Can pretty much walk up and in to the front without any issue.

Stefflon Don is a seriously naff Pyramid booking for 2023 tbf so not at all surprised she hasn’t drawn much of a crowd. Very much a ‘done on the cheap’ type of act. Imagine it’ll get very busy from Texas onwards.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Stefflon Don is a seriously naff Pyramid booking for 2023 tbf so not at all surprised she hasn’t drawn much of a crowd. Very much a ‘done on the cheap’ type of act. Imagine it’ll get very busy from Texas onwards.

It's just scheduling. Ben Howard and Hives crowd was back to the food stalls. Jamie Webster in 15 minutes and you can't get into the tent. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

It's just scheduling. Ben Howard and Hives crowd was back to the food stalls. Jamie Webster in 15 minutes and you can't get into the tent. 

Friday morning Other always seems to be a bigger draw than the Pyramid for some reason, last year it seemed like the whole festival went to Libertines then to Wet Leg on the Park

Just now, Spindles said:

Looking at the BBC webcam Texas have drawn a headliner sized crowd.

Yep, an arsenal of feel good sing along bangers - absolutely perfect stuff for the Pyramid (although I’ve no doubt a small portion of that crowd is just setting up shop for Foos after them).

6 hours ago, TravSC said:

I'd stop having big names on the Thursday as it turns into a nightmare a lot of the time.  Maybe have one or two of the big stages dedicated to BBC Introducing or or something along those lines, give some more bands a chance of exposure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, airwaves said:

But, compared to my many years run before that all seemed reasonable on me extended walk around for 10 to 2 on morning last night Thurs into Friday 

Biggest couldn't get past was skindred (?) at Truth stage. Had to turn around and back track to get out of SE corner 

4 hours ago, airwaves said:

Skindred was packed but Thursday truth is 10-12 always like that. Thinned out for Ho99o9. 

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep, an arsenal of feel good sing along bangers - absolutely perfect stuff for the Pyramid (although I’ve no doubt a small portion of that crowd is just setting up shop for Foos after them).

Was surprised at how many left after Texas.