Fatboy Slim

Chef

I've always been intrigued to see Fatboy Slim at the festival but its never usually worked out either because he clashes with someone else I wanted to see more or has been on a stage that's so small I couldn't get anywhere near. I'd like to go to Loyle Carner this year but I'm undecided on whether to finally just suck it up and go see Norman at the Park. 

Can anyone tell me what his sets are like/ comprise of? Does he play through the 'hits' and tracks off You've Come a Long Way Baby or more a generic DJ set? There's nothing on setlist FM or anywhere else on the internet from what I can see that answers that. I'm not a huge fan so would be keen to know what his set is actually like before making the final decision.

That’s a great question. I’m in exactly the same boat. Never seen him despite having been to Glastonbury seven times. He’s always on but always had a better offer. This year though I will definitely be at the Park for Leftfield so might hang around. It would be great to hear other opinions of his live set before I commit 

It's generally going to be a DJ set, in which he'll drop a few of his own original songs, and a bunch of remixes he likes and has worked on - lots of visual elements, instructing the crowd to crouch down and jump up, things like that.  It's a lot of fun if you're in the mood for it.

I'd suggest checking out any of his live sets on YouTube from this or last year - that's pretty much what to expect!

• Thanks 1

I've seen him a few times and as Vids said he normally plays a couple of his big hits in various remix form. And lots of other big electronic tunes. Normally bangers only. If you haven't seen him I'm recommend it.

The Park set will be on TV / iplayer - so it'll be pretty hit filled & accessible. 

Last time I saw him at Glastonbury in the Sonic 2019, it was too EDM for me. I have seen him since the early 2000s and Im a fan, but no real desire to see him this year.

I would recommend tjough.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I've always been intrigued to see Fatboy Slim at the festival but its never usually worked out either because he clashes with someone else I wanted to see more or has been on a stage that's so small I couldn't get anywhere near. I'd like to go to Loyle Carner this year but I'm undecided on whether to finally just suck it up and go see Norman at the Park. 

Can anyone tell me what his sets are like/ comprise of? Does he play through the 'hits' and tracks off You've Come a Long Way Baby or more a generic DJ set? There's nothing on setlist FM or anywhere else on the internet from what I can see that answers that. I'm not a huge fan so would be keen to know what his set is actually like before making the final decision.

something like this i;'d expect

Just now, Barneym said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewcj5v/acts/azdp8g

Songs he played in 2016 and small highlights there, it will be very very similar to that

To add to this I had no expectations for this set it was just on and we were nearby and it was so much fun. I do worry about it in the open air compared to a tent tho 

28 minutes ago, Barneym said:

To add to this I had no expectations for this set it was just on and we were nearby and it was so much fun. I do worry about it in the open air compared to a tent tho 

Park is a great place to have a bit of a party atmosphere though and he's certainly proficient at getting the crowd going

14 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Here's a more recent set of his. Bangers start to finish. 

Just watched the first 10 mins of that, seems to be almost identical to what I’ve seen him do before, same mix same order and that why I’ll probably give this a miss although I really am lacking a Saturday headliner and have never watched a headliner in the Park before. It’s so annoying as multiple headliners I want to see on Friday and Sunday 

1 minute ago, Barneym said:

Just watched the first 10 mins of that, seems to be almost identical to what I’ve seen him do before, same mix same order and that why I’ll probably give this a miss although I really am lacking a Saturday headliner and have never watched a headliner in the Park before. It’s so annoying as multiple headliners I want to see on Friday and Sunday 

He's not a man to experiment. Essentially been playing the same set for 20 years. It's OK if you're into his stuff but once you've seen him once, there's no compelling reason to see him again. 

2 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Yeah, think the feeling generally is that you know what you're going to get with FBS in his big slots. He goes a bit off piste if playing smaller stages / slots. 

I suppose that's fine if you haven't seen him before and want a taste of FBS. 

57 minutes ago, El Matador said:

He's not a man to experiment. Essentially been playing the same set for 20 years. It's OK if you're into his stuff but once you've seen him once, there's no compelling reason to see him again. 

Yea totally pointless

May as well just put a CD on

• Downvote 1

I’ve never been particularly bothered about him, but I saw him twice this year by chance, Brighton Centre and a really small benefit. I’m going to The Park to see him as he just brings a really happy vibe, great party. I was pleasantly surprised, and now I’m really looking forward to him! Pretty sure his sound engineer does the hard work though! 

I saw the set at the Isle of Wight festival (you tube link given above) and saw him at The Farm last year and then at Brighton on the Beach thingy. 

You kinda know what you're going to get. But it is one big party (if that's your thing). 

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This is roughly what he played when I saw him in 2009. Think it's changed a little since then - 

image.png.f29c661a45918daf7864f32a75da1a87.png

He's on your at the minute I think so I imagine the park set will be almost identical to that. 

16 minutes ago, Tom White said:

I saw the set at the Isle of Wight festival (you tube link given above) and saw him at The Farm last year and then at Brighton on the Beach thingy. 

You kinda know what you're going to get. But it is one big party (if that's your thing). 

That's it. He's the kind of act you know what you're getting, but what you're getting is a consistent big fat party hour. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tom White said:

This.

I saw him at Electric Picnic in 2005 when I was actually planning to see Kraftwerk. Got so spangled earlier in the evening that I got lost and then spent ages looking for anyone that I knew and the only ones I could find were going to see him.

Have to say, I ended up really enjoying it and so, as others have said, if you go into it not expecting any groundbreaking stuff, just a load of good party bangers, you can't really go too wrong.

Quite looking forward too it actually.