The churnups

a6l6e6x

9 hours ago, Joey01 said:

Tbf you could definitely argue the same for Pulp. They weren't even main headliners at L/R 12 years ago and only headlining mid size festivals like Neighbourhood and Latitude now. No way they would even be close to headlining Glasto any more and third up on the bill would be about right for them, so on your theory it won't be Pulp...

It's because Melvin is still trying to shift Latitude tickets (and Pulp had some other tour shows go on sale last week)

9 hours ago, Joey01 said:

The positioning of these pretty much clears up the argument that Blur are indeed bigger than Pulp.

Which I don't think was ever in question.

If the Foos info is good I think they're more likely to be one of the Woodsies sets then. Keep coming back to the fact that they're inevitably going to headline in 24 or 25 and so doing a set on the Pyramid a year or two before just wouldn't be a great look for the festival. They'll do a Killers-style set at Woodsies, Pulp will do the Pyramid set - because they won't be around next year, and didn't get to return to that stage last time they did a reunion tour. (And there may not be another one).

I find that more likely than the other way around. Regardless of the fact that going purely on the size of the band and popularity, it should be the other way around.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, stuie said:

Your dad sounds wise.  It's definitely a mix up of bands, a new supergroup... 

McBustedFighters?

Funny you should mention McFly as there's also an unknown band fifth up on the lineup at Tramlines called "The Scottish Flys" and a similar debate (not quite to the same scale) is going on there of who they could be and Mc (given the Scottish connotations) Fly (self exp) is one of the names mentioned.

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If the Foos info is good I think they're more likely to be one of the Woodsies sets then. Keep coming back to the fact that they're inevitably going to headline in 24 or 25 and so doing a set on the Pyramid a year or two before just wouldn't be a great look for the festival. They'll do a Killers-style set at Woodsies, Pulp will do the Pyramid set - because they won't be around next year, and didn't get to return to that stage last time they did a reunion tour. (And there may not be another one).

I find that more likely than the other way around. Regardless of the fact that going purely on the size of the band and popularity, it should be the other way around.

Good point but I think the crowds for Foo's would be even bigger than for Killers (as people are even more aware of secret sets now and they would probably be the biggest name of the weekend) and given they've already said they're trying to avoid overcrowding I can't see them playing Woodsies. Pulp would also attract a huge crowd but I guess it would be more manageable as it would only attract a certain demographic instead of pretty much everyone.

Edited by Joey01

22 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

Good point but I think the crowds for Foo's would be even bigger than for Killers (as people are even more aware of secret sets now and they would probably be the biggest name of the weekend) and given they've already said they're trying to avoid overcrowding I can't see them playing Woodsies. Pulp would also attract a huge crowd but I guess it would be more manageable as it would only attract a certain demographic instead of pretty much everyone.

Either one of those on Woodies creates overcrowding problems. They either have the mechanisms in place to cut off entry to the field (in which case they could have Macca on there and it'd be fine), or they don't, in which case either act is too big.

(Also while Foos are clearly the bigger band, I actually think with the Glastonbury demographic there wouldn't be that much in it)

35 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Is it really true that it is the exact same day and time that Foo Fighters first played at their first Glasto?

I can't help but feel this is more than a coincidence. 

They were under Primal Scream & James on June 26th 1998 & had to contend with sh*tty weather & an England football match.

10 hours ago, Joey01 said:

Nothing appears when you open that link now, or is that your point?

The link title says it really, didn't bother opening it before posting sorry. Booked as a European Headline exclusive (ie they are playing but not headlining elsewhere)

49 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That Corona Capital date suggests they will likely be about - will likely do the lollas in south america march next year and that will feed them into summer here again. There's no way they don't do a single european date

I don't buy the argument that The churnups are secret because they have (small) shows to sell. Pulp having shows at London Apollo shouldn't change anything at all, and I really doubt the band management is worried that their shows might not sell out fast enough at this point in the career. The only reasons it might be secret is 1) for fun, 2) exclusive clauses (which is a valid point for the Foos), and 3) for media impact, where a band has not yet announced a come back or a world tour.

> Foos inevitably going to headline in 24 or 25

Since 2024 has 2/3 woman headlining, and 2025 might as well be similar, I do not quite understand why Foos would inevitably headline when there are several other choices of white male rock bands (e.g. Blur, 1975, Pulp!). I understand they have a connection with the festival but they are not the overwhelming top request of the attendees. So I think this makes a secret set even more likely.

10 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

I don't buy the argument that The churnups are secret because they have (small) shows to sell. Pulp having shows at London Apollo shouldn't change anything at all, and I really doubt the band management is worried that their shows might not sell out fast enough at this point in the career. The only reasons it might be secret is 1) for fun, 2) exclusive clauses (which is a valid point for the Foos), and 3) for media impact, where a band has not yet announced a come back or a world tour.

Just because a band isn't announced as a festival exclusive, doesn't mean they aren't. Certainly possible IoW have something in place.

> Foos inevitably going to headline in 24 or 25

Since 2024 has 2/3 woman headlining, and 2025 might as well be similar, I do not quite understand why Foos would inevitably headline when there are several other choices of white male rock bands (e.g. Blur, 1975, Pulp!). I understand they have a connection with the festival but they are not the overwhelming top request of the attendees. So I think this makes a secret set even more likely.

Pulp won't be about next year. It's this and done for them. Possibly not forever, but it's been mentioned Candida's health isn't great and this will be her last outing at the least. Whether they'd want to do anything again without her we don't know.