The churnups

a6l6e6x

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2017 - headliner/Pyramid

2022 - guest with headliner/Pyramid

2023 - 1:15 of Foos hits on the Pyramid.

With only 1 festival inbetween surely you see my point that it's over exposure fora man with a guitar on the same stage doing the same thing?

Pulp/Jarvis have been at the festival regularly - sure.  But over a nearly 30 year period and at various stages, sometimes as a band, sometimes Jarvis DJing, sometimes Jarvis doing solo material.

There's a clear difference.

Some might say that the tiny guest appearance with Bruce is what sealed the deal for him to want to return + full band this year. If it does turn out to be Foos, I see it as nothing but a positive on Dave’s opinion of the festival and him realising that whilst it’s probably too soon for them to return as a headliner, he really wants to play again so a secret set it is. Much like the outcry against Chris Martin was kind of dumb considering the guy just loves the place, the same would be said here. If a stadium sellout act wants to play third down your lineup, you sure as sh*t aren’t saying no. 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Some might say that the tiny guest appearance with Bruce is what sealed the deal for him to want to return + full band this year. If it does turn out to be Foos, I see it as nothing but a positive on Dave’s opinion of the festival and him realising that whilst it’s probably too soon for them to return as a headliner, he really wants to play again so a secret set it is. Much like the outcry against Chris Martin was kind of dumb considering the guy just loves the place, the same would be said here. If a stadium sellout act wants to play third down your lineup, you sure as sh*t aren’t saying no. 

Totally.  And if they are cash strapped and this is a freebie or cheap, then you grab it with both hands.  I get that.  Point I was trying to make is that there are many arrows pointing towards Pulp for this particular slot and the Foos recent Pyramid (over)exposure is just one of them.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2017 - headliner/Pyramid

With only 1 festival inbetween surely you see my point that it's over exposure fora man with a guitar on the same stage doing the same thing?

Pulp/Jarvis have been at the festival regularly - sure.  But over a nearly 30 year period and at various stages, sometimes as a band, sometimes Jarvis DJing, sometimes Jarvis doing solo material.

It's 6 years since he did a set at the festival. Muse, Coldplay, Artic Monkeys, REM, Radiohead, the cure and more have all played at least two headline sets in six years or fewer. 

I don't understand how it would be "overexposure". If he came back and headlined 24, maybe. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Totally.  And if they are cash strapped and this is a freebie or cheap, then you grab it with both hands.  I get that.  Point I was trying to make is that there are many arrows pointing towards Pulp for this particular slot and the Foos recent Pyramid (over)exposure is just one of them.

There's only one piece of actual concrete information between both of them and it points at Foos.

https://www.rock-am-ring.com/en/news/25-jan-23-sensation-foo-fighters-confirmed-exclusive-european-headline-performances-at-rock-am-ring-and-rock-im-park--o6d9d

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Not serious obviously - but efests is clearly not representative. Foos are a bigger band so its clearly not 70% of the fest would rather see pulp, thats just efests bubble talk

Alright alright, perhaps I reacted a little too quickly, but my point was just that if they've got their fingers on the pulse, and that Pulp are touring, have such a close relationship with the fest, they should know that the desire from Glasto punters for Pulp would be far higher than Foos who headlined just four festivals ago, that's all. I don't think for a second that an eFests poll has any merit in itself.

Obviously to counter my own point, I'm sure the Eavii are also wise enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth, and if Dave G offered some kind of special show and not as one of the top trio, they wouldn't turn it down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2017 - headliner/Pyramid

Yep. This is exactly what I was getting at. 

42 minutes ago, briddj said:

The festival has been and gone now. 

It's Pulp. 

Like talking to a brick wall you mate

There was a week when Churnups were on the poster and Rock am Ring hadn't happened yet

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Anyway, it's certainly the best secret set plot I've ever seen.

Unknown big band on a big stage with a big audience.

It's win-win-win. 

Gotta hand it to them

Edited by gfa

11 hours ago, waltere said:

Precisely something that would to my mind pretty much rule them out anyway, can't see why an act would get announced as a secret set for a slot they'd be playing regardless

Tbf you could definitely argue the same for Pulp. They weren't even main headliners at L/R 12 years ago and only headlining mid size festivals like Neighbourhood and Latitude now. No way they would even be close to headlining Glasto any more and third up on the bill would be about right for them, so on your theory it won't be Pulp...

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Nothing appears when you open that link now, or is that your point?

18 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

The positioning of these pretty much clears up the argument that Blur are indeed bigger than Pulp.

it's true in the Americas but I'd have guessed they were on par with each other in the UK.  I have to say, I'm damn surprised Arcade Fire are still headlining anything.  

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Funny watching people definitely staying who it is and getting arsey with others when we don’t actually know who it is

Tbf, I think @JoeyT is pretty confident in his Foos booked in nearby hotel info and perhaps has more solid info than that which is why there are a few people going all in on it being them. 

Not that that’s gonna stop all the speculation in the lead up and I’m sure more names will start getting thrown about in the meantime.