The Park 2023

stuie

4 hours ago, tickleyt said:

Have to agree, have never been before and I'm incredibly excited but pretty much every stage reveal has been really underwhelming (at least for me!) and is zapping my excitement. I'm hoping there's some big bands to still be announced but comparing it to previous years line ups it feels a lot more safe with less exciting/big names. The DJ's look amazing but at the moment there's probably only 5-6 bands I'm bothered about across the whole weekend. Plenty of other stuff to do right?

Having stuff you *really* want to see Fri/Sat/Sun all the time is actually a bit of a nightmare IMHO. There is so much alternative and amazing stuff to see you need some serious gaps to check it all out. Just feel like I’ve missed Glasto if I don’t spend some numerous hours in the Greenfields (for instance) some during the day and some during the night. 

23 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I don’t understand that last year half the site was at Williams green and the other half was at the park on Thursday. 

so this year they have got rid off Williams greens and put everything on the Thursday at the park. 

I guess we’ll have to wait and see the logic but they are aware of the overcrowding issues of last year and they aren’t silly. 

My guess is that they will utilise some of the new large ish venues like Nowhere, The Levels and the new Glade stage on Thursday.  Also Stonebridge will be larger than usual. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

I don’t understand that last year half the site was at Williams green and the other half was at the park on Thursday. 

so this year they have got rid off Williams greens and put everything on the Thursday at the park. 

I'm always at Strummerville on Thursday.  Love it.  Chilled, live music, sofas, beer, chatting with randoms, bonfire (though it was a bit hot last year).  Once I got my arse on that sofa, I didn't move.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lendan said:

1st big clash of the weekend confirmed - GNR & Fatboy. 

FBS confirmed on social media a couple of weeks ago he was playing The Park on Saturday night then in The Temple later that night -   also be playing Greenpeace on the Sunday

FBS in the Greenpeace?  Madness!!

6 hours ago, Riggins said:

Can't believe we're getting Max Richter dropping On the Nature of Daylight tbh

I love Max Richter but I’m quite surprised to see him where he is on that Park line up. Has anyone seen him live/ know what his live sets are like?

I agree with people who are saying that Stonebridge is going to be a ram fest on Thursday. I’m not even going to contemplate it despite the line up looking amazing. My mate reckons there’s toilets in the tent but I don’t recall that? And there’s not a tent big enough to hold half of Glastonbury. 

Everyone hating on Alt-j - I really like them (plus new music recently), does that make me a 6 music Dad? However it’s a 3 way clash with Elton and Phoenix 🙄 in any case 

49 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Everyone hating on Alt-j - I really like them (plus new music recently), does that make me a 6 music Dad? However it’s a 3 way clash with Elton and Phoenix 🙄 in any case 

Yeah, I agree - there's usually a fair bit of filler on the LPs, but a live set, especially maybe a festival set should be stuffed full of really good tunes. And I haven't seen them for...11 years or so, so it would have been nice. They'll be great with the full production of headlining The Park (their sound is 'gentle' and intricate, and so the PA sound needs to be spot on). As you say, though, absolute bummer that they're up against Phoenix, so I won't see them. If only they'd been Friday and Fever Ray on Sunday I'd have been OK! Might well still be at Fever Ray though, I guess!

Ben

2 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I love Max Richter but I’m quite surprised to see him where he is on that Park line up. Has anyone seen him live/ know what his live sets are like?

I agree with people who are saying that Stonebridge is going to be a ram fest on Thursday. I’m not even going to contemplate it despite the line up looking amazing. My mate reckons there’s toilets in the tent but I don’t recall that? And there’s not a tent big enough to hold half of Glastonbury. 

I saw him at Crystal Palace Park last year and he was fantastic. A festival setting will be interesting but in my mind he's a genius so it'll work. Do think he'd be better in the sunset/dusk spot rather than opening though, or even doing his 8 hour Sleep set would've been really cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, I agree - there's usually a fair bit of filler on the LPs, but a live set, especially maybe a festival set should be stuffed full of really good tunes. And I haven't seen them for...11 years or so, so it would have been nice. They'll be great with the full production of headlining The Park (their sound is 'gentle' and intricate, and so the PA sound needs to be spot on). As you say, though, absolute bummer that they're up against Phoenix, so I won't see them. If only they'd been Friday and Fever Ray on Sunday I'd have been OK! Might well still be at Fever Ray though, I guess!

Ben

I really like Alt-J and was really excited about them on the Other stage a few years back. Came away very underwhelmed, felt they didn’t have the presence for a huge stage. As you say it may also be the intricacy of their sound.

Was really hoping that they would one day be in JPT/Woodsies, and was hoping for that to be this year. Park as a more intimate stage would be better I think. Alas, not to be. The clash with Reg just rules them out.

12 hours ago, stuie said:

I guess we’ll have to wait and see the logic but they are aware of the overcrowding issues of last year and they aren’t silly. 

My guess is that they will utilise some of the new large ish venues like Nowhere, The Levels and the new Glade stage on Thursday.  Also Stonebridge will be larger than usual. 

I really hope you're right on this as I'd had a similar thought to the OP.  Even doubling the size of Stonebridge (which wouldn't fit) it would still be mentally overcrowded with WG gone and that Thursday line up.

You'd like to think they'd learned lessons, but let's be honest there's been huge overcrowding at WG, Avalon and "secret" sets in JP, The Park etc. pretty much every year I've been so they underestimate the draw of certain things constantly.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

They were touring An Awesome Wave in the states recently, I'm hoping they might be doing more than usual off that.  

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm always at Strummerville on Thursday.  Love it.  Chilled, live music, sofas, beer, chatting with randoms, bonfire (though it was a bit hot last year).  Once I got my arse on that sofa, I didn't move.

It’s a lovely place to chill. Not somewhere you pass by often so I’ll make the effort to go. Thursday would be good, Croissant Neuf bandstand, Strummerville and the Bimble Inn perhaps.

As much as I'd love to be at the Park on Thursday, I'm going to be completely avoiding it!! It's going to be packed, without a doubt. Thursday is going to be full on kidzfield and Theatre and Circus in the evening for us

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

12 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Well, I didn’t go anywhere near either… was at BBC Introducing, Glade, Wow and Greenpeace all night.  In fact, since the Maximo Park debacle, I’ve gone nowhere near WG on Thur, and never been to Stonebridge on Thur, and Thur is always a big night for me on the Farm.  If people can’t find good stuff to do on Thursday that isn’t at the Park, they really need to give their head a shake.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

As much as I'd love to be at the Park on Thursday, I'm going to be completely avoiding it!! It's going to be packed, without a doubt. Thursday is going to be full on kidzfield and Theatre and Circus in the evening for us

I didn't think T&C opened until Friday?  Happy to be told I'm wrong though as it will mean another option for me to try!

9 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I didn't think T&C opened until Friday?  Happy to be told I'm wrong though as it will mean another option for me to try!

There's some stuff going on Thursday. Fully open Friday.