williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Let's resurrect the "spoiler" thread for site builds though. I'm one of those who likes to be surprised when I arrive on site, rather than see pictures of it over the next few weeks.

This is a really good idea! I'd rather be surprised as well. Although I don't think I'll be able to help myself looking, it might help!

4 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

This fills me with a real sense of dread of what we're in for this year. My favourite musical area gone and seemingly not replaced by an alternative

Hoping were in for other surprises but i really couldn't give a crap about some cars bolted together 

Whilst the Mutoid art around the site adds to the festival no end, I do slightly share your sentiment here.  We spend lots of time at WG - especially after hours - so gutted it’s gone. Hopefully Club de Fromage, Guilty Pleasures etc find a home elsewhere on site.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea, not sure i'll bother venturing that far into Babylon for a poor imitation

I'll definitely check it out. 

There is no way on earth that it could possibly match '87. The original was the first time that anything like that had happened at a UK festival. In those days everything shut down at about midnight apart from hanging around campfires listening to, usually, bad guitar playing accompanied with an off it hippy dribbling into a penny whistle. 

Carhenge went on all night, a ground breaking installation with audience participation drumming on the sculptures and bins with rebar. Completely unheard of in those days. If the original hadn't ever happened and then it appeared this year for the first time, lots of people would be Meh. 

We have been spoiled. 

EDIT, to add, that night in '87 was one of the most memorable nights of my life. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Whilst the Mutoid art around the site adds to the festival no end, I do slightly share your sentiment here.  We spend lots of time at WG - especially after hours - so gutted it’s gone. Hopefully Club de Fromage, Guilty Pleasures etc find a home elsewhere on site.

The after hours stuff potentially missing is a big blow. One of the music options that wasn’t out and out Dance.

32 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Can anyone fill me in on why this was such a great spectacle when it first came about?

Not writing it off completely but the idea of some scrap cars sat in a weird formation doesn't do anything for me.

It was as @Sawdusty surfer mentioned a first for UK festivals.

It wasn't so much the installation itself, although that was interesting and groundbreaking, which was so much more than just the henge. It also included steel tubular structures of "creatures" and "mad max" style vehicles. 

What made it so spectacular and fun was the interaction of the people who were there. Who fully embraced and contributed to the vibe to create an truly unique all night party.

I'd be very sad to see WG go. Obviously there's still more than enough to go around, but it was a nice platform for new bands / bands of a certain size. Saw some friends play there last year, it was the perfect size for where they're at - not sure where else they could have played at the festival

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It was as @Sawdusty surfer mentioned a first for UK festivals.

It wasn't so much the installation itself, although that was interesting and groundbreaking, which was so much more than just the henge. It also included steel tubular structures of "creatures" and "mad max" style vehicles. 

What made it so spectacular and fun was the interaction of the people who were there. Who fully embraced and contributed to the vibe to create an truly unique all night party.

Thanks - just had a quick skim through.

Not entirely convinced this alteration will have the same vibe then as to me it looked as though the experience came from the people more so than the installation. Would be interesting to see how they adapt this to the modern day experience without surrounding it with heras fencing as you say.

Edited by Monty Pythagoras