Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Exactly.

I wear cargo trousers with large pockets, can comfortably fit everything i need in them.

Not only are backpacks a pain for those around you, they're awkward for yourself and prone to being mislaid.

+1 for the cargos, although I go shorts. If I get myself organised and not fussed about carrying tins around with me then I can get everything in them.  Also have a few things hanging off my belt like a shit Batman

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

+1 for the cargos, although I go shorts. If I get myself organised and not fussed about carrying tins around with me then I can get everything in them.  Also have a few things hanging off my belt like a shit Batman

I have my wallet and phone in either pocket, and small travel suncream in one of my other pockets (like Skip I wear cargo shorts so multiple pockets) That's all you really need!

If I want a jumper/jacket just in case it goes around my waist until I need to use it.

Sometimes when leaving camp I'll take a couple of cans with me to start then buy from bars....go back to camp to reload if required.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Going too hard too soon has been a traditional problem of mine no matter which festival I've been at. 

This year is going to be different, I swear 😅

In my twenties that was definitely a problem that I had.

These days by the time the fireworks have finished I may have a wander around until it's a reasonable time to go to bed so that I'm fresh for the thursday. I just don't have the stamina for 5 days fully on it anymore!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I have my wallet and phone in either pocket, and small travel suncream in one of my other pockets (like Skip I wear cargo shorts so multiple pockets) That's all you really need!

If I want a jumper/jacket just in case it goes around my waist until I need to use it.

Sometimes when leaving camp I'll take a couple of cans with me to start then buy from bars....go back to camp to reload if required.

Loo roll?

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

This. The only thing I can't carry in them is my metal cup, but I have that on a string so can carry it on my shoulder.

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

* Also I have an irrational hatred of the word "punters" and a completely rational hatred of anyone who refers to the public as something like "the unwashed" or similar.  They're customers, and they're paying for you to be there...

I work in customer service in what passes for the real world. Specifically hospitality.

Punters is one of the nicer terms I use.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I work in customer service in what passes for the real world. Specifically hospitality.

Punters is one of the nicer terms I use.

Oh yeah, customer services you have every right to hate your customers, and call them whatever you want!  But hearing volunteers / crew etc using it with that sneery tone at Glastonbury grates my gears.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Pocket tissues...or if you're really stuck ask the campsite stewards/loo crew for some. 

You don't need to be carrying around a full roll unless you've been at the curries! 😄 

Yeah I go the tissue route. Just pointing out a "surely need" item.

I used to have a nice zip up top with enough pockets for everything which I could tie around my waist in such a manner that nothing would fall out of said pockets. I miss that coat.

Just now, MrZigster said:

Yeah I go the tissue route. Just pointing out a "surely need" item.

I used to have a nice zip up top with enough pockets for everything which I could tie around my waist in such a manner that nothing would fall out of said pockets. I miss that coat.

I've got six pockets in my shorts, then two big zip up pockets in my jacket if I've got that round my waist....8 pockets of stuff is plenty. 🙂 

I find a day bag essential but its a standard size backpack full of booze, with a jumper if it might be chilly and a rain coat if it might rain.

as the booze goes down, the backpack size reduces quite a bit! If i go back to the tent before going out late then i’ll ditch the day bag. I hate carrying bags at the best of times but you better believe 5 tinnies are going in there at 11am. Oh, and crisps / peanuts / apples for snackies!

Edited by Memory Man

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I find a day bag essential but its a standard size backpack full of booze, with a jumper if it might be chilly and a rain coat if it might rain.

as the booze goes down, the backpack size reduces quite a bit! If i go back to the tent before going out late then i’ll ditch the day bag. I hate carrying bags at the best of times but you better believe 5 tinnies are going in there at 11am. Oh, and crisps / peanuts / apples for snackies!

I agree, I definitely need a bag in the day. Definitely needed for a few beers and some other bits. I always try and ditch it in the evening/at night though. 

Cargo shorts don't tend to be part of my Glasto outfits unfortunately so I also carry a day bag as others have said, booze, snacks, Bog roll and jumper/raincoat. I'll admit the bag I took last year was a bit uncomfortably big especially for night times, so I'm going to take a smaller one this year and do my best to ditch it in the evenings. I was probably one of the backpack w*nkers you're referencing 🤣

6 minutes ago, EMorgz92 said:

Cargo shorts don't tend to be part of my Glasto outfits unfortunately so I also carry a day bag as others have said, booze, snacks, Bog roll and jumper/raincoat. I'll admit the bag I took last year was a bit uncomfortably big especially for night times, so I'm going to take a smaller one this year and do my best to ditch it in the evenings. I was probably one of the backpack w*nkers you're referencing 🤣

Likewise ... im going to attempt to slim down too .... just need to figure out if I can with a few medical bits and pieces 

as much as having a day bag is a bit annoying, it is absolutely amazing in the middle of the crowd pulling out a bag of maoam pinballs and getting right stuck into em. Fizzy snakes and cola lances are also distinctly wonderful to remember/devour. 

Plus if im coming from a shift and then heading straight out, i'll need somewhere to put me tabbard/coat/hat/spare socks, as well as my water bottle and fruit/muesli bars. Plus my emergency stash of 10% cans for immediate deployment upon end of shift. In short, i needs me bag dont i 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one that's going to go down like a lead balloon

Record number of down votes incoming?

Do what Shambala have done, make the festival vegetarian, i.e. no traders are allowed to sell meat or fish. Punters still allowed to bring their own.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Do what Shambala have done, make the festival vegetarian, i.e. no traders are allowed to sell meat or fish. Punters still allowed to bring their own.

Offal idea

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:44 AM, balti-pie said:

as much as having a day bag is a bit annoying, it is absolutely amazing in the middle of the crowd pulling out a bag of maoam pinballs and getting right stuck into em. Fizzy snakes and cola lances are also distinctly wonderful to remember/devour. 

Plus if im coming from a shift and then heading straight out, i'll need somewhere to put me tabbard/coat/hat/spare socks, as well as my water bottle and fruit/muesli bars. Plus my emergency stash of 10% cans for immediate deployment upon end of shift. In short, i needs me bag dont i 

Tell us more about these 10% cans

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I don't mind going veggie. I've been one in the past for periods. But pizza (my festival go to) needs meat. Just a straight up fact.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Not veggie or vegan but would love this. Always fascinated with what good alternatives are out there and a festival full of them would be really cool.

6 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

I don't mind going veggie. I've been one in the past for periods. But pizza (my festival go to) needs meat. Just a straight up fact.

Veggie pizza > meat for me, tastes much fresher, less greasy. With all respect to all the delicious greasy food out there.

41 minutes ago, Sbco100 said:

Tell us more about these 10% cans

Loaded up on a couple of boxes of these, in preparation for the festival.  Figured I'd carry a few around, buy the odd drink that comes with ice, and use that ice for these.  

Trouble is, they are absolutely delicious, so am half way through the initial purchase, and not much hope of many cans surviving until next Wednesday.

https://mothdrinks.com/