Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

Okay, so no one will miss Cineramarmageddeononnen? 

Surely, Williams Green stays, its success shouldn't see it abolished. They just need to put Carhenge somewhere, maybe Woodsies(?!) and draw people away on the Wed/Thurs, perhaps with performances of its own so that it also draws people away from the SEC over the weekend as a whole?

All wishful thinking of course. Feel like room is running out on the site!

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Surely, Williams Green stays, its success shouldn't see it abolished. They just need to put Carhenge somewhere, maybe Woodsies(?!) and draw people away on the Wed/Thurs, perhaps with performances of its own so that it also draws people away from the SEC over the weekend as a whole?

All wishful thinking of course. Feel like room is running out on the site!

Bolded idea is interesting. No idea how well it would work, it would make people aware of it and go to SH on the way etc, but also people might just tick SH off on wed/thurs as a result and then SEC would be as busy as ever

19 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I very much doubt any punter will be allowed to touch the old cars.

In '87 The Mutoids provided hundreds of pieces of rebar that were about two foot long that everyone used to drum on the cars, sculptures and oil drums. 

Obviously drumming on the old American cars wouldn't be allowed this year. Potentially other less valuable or more robusttuff could be provided to drum on but in this day and age H&S would likely forbid people to have access to drum sticks that they would view as weaponry. 

Shame, as it was a fantastic experience to be involved in. 

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

35 years later, will banging an old car with some drumsticks still capture the imagination of the average punter?

I remember being totally amazed by the whole carhenge thing. Also a little bit scared of the thing, it was so noisy!!!! It was my first Glastonbury so was quite blown away by it all.

Just now, Neville Street said:

I remember being totally amazed by the whole carhenge thing. Also a little bit scared of the thing, it was so noisy!!!! It was my first Glastonbury so was quite blown away by it all.

I thought it was a bit scary too, I remember it being very dark and sticky underfoot and loud.  Was a great noise though.

40 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I thought it was a bit scary too, I remember it being very dark and sticky underfoot and loud.  Was a great noise though.

It sounds a bit like the banging of the bins tradition in the Boomtown forest... after a while of your brain being assaulted by the noise you start to hear all kinds of music/basslines instead, it's like a coping mechanism! 

3 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

In '87 The Mutoids provided hundreds of pieces of rebar that were about two foot long that everyone used to drum on the cars, sculptures and oil drums. 

Obviously drumming on the old American cars wouldn't be allowed this year. Potentially other less valuable or more robusttuff could be provided to drum on but in this day and age H&S would likely forbid people to have access to drum sticks that they would view as weaponry. 

Shame, as it was a fantastic experience to be involved in. 

You could perhaps have them tethered to some sort of running safety line?

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Bolded idea is interesting. No idea how well it would work, it would make people aware of it and go to SH on the way etc, but also people might just tick SH off on wed/thurs as a result and then SEC would be as busy as ever

Just wondered if they created an outdoor venue in the mould of the Common/Shangri La out of it, but then I don't know how they'd get around it with the licence if it was nearer the village in Woodsies.

I feel like getting rid of William's Green and Cinemarmeggeddon and replacing both just Carhenge seems like a sideways move.

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just wondered if they created an outdoor venue in the mould of the Common/Shangri La out of it, but then I don't know how they'd get around it with the licence if it was nearer the village in Woodsies.

I feel like getting rid of William's Green and Cinemarmeggeddon and replacing both just Carhenge seems like a sideways move.

It's not a sideways move financially..

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I still think WG will have a performance area - maybe an outdoor stage instead.

12DA56E2-29DD-46AF-BF48-3D92881F8D23.thumb.jpeg.3fb800167be4b66f7b8cebb73b2ba6e1.jpegHere’s something a bit different, I think it’s possible new things could be done to these fields, especially the field on far left which is always practically empty with staff camping. Ik it’s fairly steep but creates a natual auditorium, or an opportunity to create new spaces which embrace the view over Glastonbury… similar to the park. There’s already some action in this field and above the stone circle. Probably unlikely but possible 🤷‍♂️

Edited by William Mann

21 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I will miss cineramapyjamaobamabananaramageddon. Loved the silent disco with Craig. The films mind you. Watched one and it was about suicide. Like being at work (social worker). I wanted crappy dance musical type films. The cars though, great fun. Those Rolls Royces  were MASSIVE inside and a mental amount of switches! Great for people with ADHD (son loved it)

• Upvote 1