Favourite Sub Headliner Performance - Pyramid

Boomtowner

So who is your favourite sub headliner on the Pyramid, who is the best you've seen in this slot, who warmed you up for the main event.

My favourite was at my first Glastonbury in 2002 with Faithless on before Coldplay, second favourite was Faithless in 2010 before Stevie.

Can think of surprisingly few sub performances I’ve genuinely enjoyed. 

Sam Fender last year was brilliant. Elbow in 2011 was a moment. Nick Cave in 2009 was great.

Foals in 2016, Noel Gallagher last year and David Gray in 2003 were solid. 

Morrissey in 2011 and Primal Scream in 2013 were terrible.

Don’t think I’ve seen any others.

Probably the Manics before Moby in 2003.  Looking back at line ups there wasn't many sub headliners I made a definite plan to see or happened to ve there when they were on.  Only other one was New Order in 2005 and they were awful that year. 

20 minutes ago, mike46 said:

I loved The XX before Radiohead! 

They were great. I wasn't impressed with their Park headline which was a shame as I loved the first album. I was only there waiting for Radiohead as I assumed they wouldn't be any good again, but they were surprisingly good. 

Kasabian we’re good before the boss that year 

Tame impala was good too. Quite a small crowd for that slot but weather was pretty magic and think the band and crowd who did attend were well into it 

with about 10 festivals attended actually really surprised I can’t remember more contenders ha 

fender was good recently , as were vampire weekend year before 

Edited by internetjef

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Maybe 2008 with Amy Winehouse and Leonard Cohen as two of the subs, mainly as I’d never come close to seeing them before and knew it was unlikely I’d be seeing them after. It was bitter sweet with Amy because of her troubles but a memorable performance.

Great performance, but disturbing in between songs.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

another vote for sam fender .... look at the field going off 🙂 

Didn’t see Sam, but this video is a great example of why I love the sub slot. Something about the sun going down and excitement for the night ahead, combined with an act smashing it, that makes a for an amazing atmosphere.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VCK said:

The Specials in 2009. Ghost Town just as the sun was starting to set.

I'd forgotten this one, this rounds out my top 3. Honourable mention to Sam Fender for last year and Kasabian in 2009. Struggling to remember all of the subs in 2002-2005 period, as no Clashfinders available.

3 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

So who is your favourite sub headliner on the Pyramid, who is the best you've seen in this slot, who warmed you up for the main event.

My favourite was at my first Glastonbury in 2002 with Faithless on before Coldplay, second favourite was Faithless in 2010 before Stevie.

2002 was also my first visit to the farm and Faithless also my favourite sub set! Epic energy. Closely followed by the XX into Radiohead. So good

Joint Elbow 2011 and Faithless 2010.

Faithless because it was a beautiful hot day, Jack Johnson had chilled me beforehand then Faithless just blasted it . Still the funniest thing I’ve seen at the farm was a massive blue paddling pool coming from the direct of the cider bus to end up at the front and 2 lads got in it. Maxi noticed it and laughed. Stevie wasn’t bad either!

Elbow because I was contemplating the life I had with my ex wife and I released during the set that it was time to go. 3 weeks later I moved out. The Loneliness of the tower crane driver was just beautiful with the sting section just hitting the right notes, they seemed to go on forever.
My God how much I love the farm.

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Can think of surprisingly few sub performances I’ve genuinely enjoyed. 

Sam Fender last year was brilliant. Elbow in 2011 was a moment. Nick Cave in 2009 was great.

Foals in 2016, Noel Gallagher last year and David Gray in 2003 were solid. 

Morrissey in 2011 and Primal Scream in 2013 were terrible.

Don’t think I’ve seen any others.

My dad went to the Glasto that U2 played (was that 2011?) and when he got back he wouldn't shut up about how amazing Morrissey was 😅