Glasto Hacks

Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Buy caprisuns and freeze them before the festival. Use them instead of ice blocks. When they melt you have a drink. No space wasted. 

I did this too but with those frozen cocktail pouches you get from Aldi and Home Bargain 😋

30 minutes ago, Mrs Dubs said:

I did this too but with those frozen cocktail pouches you get from Aldi and Home Bargain 😋

I don't drink but husband does so my drinks keep his cool. It works for both of us and on a hot year he has stolen some of the Caprisuns as well. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mrs Dubs said:

These are great unfrozen to sneak into day festivals, theres a lidl right by finsbury park for anyone heading to pulp 😉 

4 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

My go-to was tinned espresso martinis last year. Suits me as anything fizzy ruins me! Any other 'still' drink hacks welcome!

Tia Maria - can buy OJ at the co-op or smoothie stand and mix together. Tastes like a Terry's Chocolate Orange

Chambord mixed 1:1 with vanilla vodka. Strong as fuck and tastes like a drumstick lolly

36 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Great idea for a thread @Bike_Like_A_Mum

I'd recommend taking a collapsible bowl and some flannels for a morning tent wash that's much nicer than wet wipes.

And whoever recommended the moth espresso martinis last year, good shout!

Was going to suggest the same, but I take a travel sized shower gel, flat packed sponge, collapsible bucket and a small camping towel. I do a cold water strip wash in my undies outside the tent every day. Feels great, especially in the hot and dusty years.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately phone thefts are all too common, especially on the first nights, so I always use a little carabiner clip to connect my tent zip ties at night. Very easy to get off on the inside but makes it very hard to open from the outside. 

Only had it come into effect once when I woke up to someone moving my zip round.  A swift kick and a shout before we jumped out to see them running off through the campsite. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mike46 said:

Unfortunately phone thefts are all too common, especially on the first nights, so I always use a little carabiner clip to connect my tent zip ties at night. Very easy to get off on the inside but makes it very hard to open from the outside. 

Only had it come into effect once when I woke up to someone moving my zip round.  A swift kick and a shout before we jumped out to see them running off through the campsite. 

Oooo clever! Obviously a pad lock looks super suspicious but a carabineer on the inside does the job and also is easy to take off if there's an emergency.

2 hours ago, mike46 said:

decent idea this vs the bait padlock

8 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

If you're a drinker always, and I mean, always have vodka and Kahlua on your person at all times.  Walk past a milk stand? it's white russian time.  Somewhere sells cold coffee? boy you just got yourself an espresso martini. It's a genuine lifesaver.

Nothing like an espresso martini to get the head together 

I've got a good one (IMO) to have a great night and avoid a hangover.

Problem is it's not the opinion of some folks on here.

Posted it before and had to have it deleted due to complaints, inc by PM.

So here are the acceptable bits: drink plenty of water, eat well and get some sleep.

But seriously, don't stress about the practicalities, just show up, relax and enjoy. It's all very comfortable and safe these days. Everything you need is there.

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So here are the acceptable bits: drink plenty of water, eat well and get some sleep.

But seriously, don't stress about the practicalities, just show up, relax and enjoy. It's all very comfortable and safe these days. Everything you need is there.

Good call

Agree that Moth espresso martinis are the business. As are their margaritas. Nice small tins and 15%

personal favourites:

- ladies learn to use a sheepee, disposable cardboard are best imo. Never fear a long drop again 

- hggye style buffs make great head covers and if you spray with perfume can be used to cover mouth and nose from the smell of long drops

- put your feet inside a bin liner before you take your boots off, contains mud wet or dry

- individually wrapped pastries from Aldi make great breakfasts (with the night before coffee!)

- red wine in a camelback works well for hands free dancing 

- camping soap slivers from pound shop make you feel cleaner

- individual packets of tissues from pound ship are easy to carry for loo roll and it  stays dry

- start the morning with a full bottle of water, drink half then add a berocca boost (avoid dupes) and drink the rest (on the way to the loo…) follow with a coffee/espresso martini

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

on saturday morning after a heavy night in the SE corner i had dioralyte, tesco own brand paracetamol dioralyte, red bull and these tablet dioralyte things. not sure if it was a hack but it seemed to do the trick

guess the moral in general is get some dioralyte!

58 minutes ago, gfa said:

on saturday morning after a heavy night in the SE corner i had dioralyte, tesco own brand paracetamol dioralyte, red bull and these tablet dioralyte things. not sure if it was a hack but it seemed to do the trick

guess the moral in general is get some dioralyte!

a concoction of this is something I’m considering this time (ticket pending). Last year was the first time I really felt the late SE nights and was still feeling the comedown throughout the week after… or I just need to accept I’m getting old! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Intrigued as to the unacceptable bits! Presumably drinking related as a lot of these tips relate to perhaps questionable practices.

9 hours ago, bexj said:

I always take foot moisturiser to a festival, after hours on your feet a good moisturise always makes them feel better!

This is game changing! I've never used foot moisturiser in my life, but last year my feet were tired all festival and slightly got in the way of how good a time I was having! Who knows what wonders this could work. Cheers!

Because I travel from America to come to the festival every year, I have to pack as light as possible. My rule is that it all my stuff has to fit in my backpack, and because I have to fly and check the bag, nothing can be hanging off the sides. 

Here's my space saving hack.  Air mattresses and sleeping mats take up too much space.  Sleep on a pool raft.  They're inexpensive,  and take up almost no space in your bag. 

It's usually a 2 week trip for me, with the festival smack in the center.  usually when I've left the states, the weather won't have been nailed down yet either - so I have to bring all the rain gear and the wellies, as well as the suncream and the trainers. Plus, I have to plan for all the other non-festival days with non festival clothes, and room to bring back anything I may have bought. I'm used to it now, but packing for glasto can really stress me out  if I let it.  Those of you who drive to the festival don't know how easy you have it!

pool-float-3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mike46 said:

a concoction of this is something I’m considering this time (ticket pending). Last year was the first time I really felt the late SE nights and was still feeling the comedown throughout the week after… or I just need to accept I’m getting old! 

Diarolyte or equivalent electrolyte pills / powders / drops are miraculous, life-changing medicine. Especially in a hot year.

Before bed, yes, but also with breakfast and during the day. Last year I popped an SIS tablet into my Cider Bus pint every time I arrived at El Pointo.

• Upvote 2