Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

An extral Pilton Full Council will be meeting 16 February, 7:30pm, at Pilton Village Hall to comment upon the amended GFEL Planning Application.

You will be able to find the new agenda on the Council Website front page https://www.piltonparishcouncil.org/ under 'Upcoming Meeting'. or through the links below - Documents: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jc_SAGu2DtsDtw5gU42g-E6TUTNEgOA3

The Zoom link for remote attendance is: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84847194927?pwd=dW83U2xGNzRjd3czRkVXMFFvT2c4dz09#success

Paging @Crazyfool01

@Crazyfool01

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

The public comments on the MDC page reveal plenty of objections.

Should make for a lively Zoom meeting.

Which is good, quite a few  have valid points, I hate to say! I wouldn't want it to be rejected but maybe some amendments / clarifications could benefit both the locals, the festival and ensuring a positive long term relationship between the two.

Is making The Pyramid stage a permanent structure the main objection ?

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/CFBBC0ADF119664AE29B47FFD1EA3003/pdf/2022_2458_FUL-PYRAMID_STAGE-1287160.pdf

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 07-25-34 0123.01 Pyramid stage - 2022_2458_FUL-PYRAMID_STAGE-1287160.pdf.png

Just now, gazzared said:

Seems more to be about the permanent character of the licence than the permanent character of the pyramid. A checks and balances thing.

• Like 1

Reading through them it looks like there is strong feelings against a permanent licence and villagers would not be able to object to future changes that might impact on them. Probably some of the objectors have always been against the whole idea of the festival . 

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Reading through them it looks like there is strong feelings against a permanent licence and villagers would not be able to object to future changes that might impact on them. Probably some of the objectors have always been against the whole idea of the festival . 

Not necessarily. I'd be a little nervous too if I was a villager. I'd certainly want to know my rights were protected in the future. It's sensible to object first, air their fears and review exactly what the plans are in a little more detail. No doubt the plans will go through but not without the odd caveat or compromise here or there. 

At some stage the festival might pass out of the hands of the Eavis family. A new owner, quite likely a larger, more corporate organisation might not share the same consideration for the village and its populous. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think this is all about Michael being old and nothing to do with Melvin. It's not about changes to management, it's changes to ownership - and there is a good chance that the main owner of the land is going to change in the not too distant future. He's going to be 90 in 2025. He's old.

He's also been rather ill recently. Maybe that has focused minds.

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Do we even know if he's still actually the owner? Seems like something they might have wanted to move to at least joint ownership of given the inheritance tax implications.

Directors all listed here GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL EVENTS LIMITED people - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

I don't think people care about the structure

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not necessarily. I'd be a little nervous too if I was a villager. I'd certainly want to know my rights were protected in the future. It's sensible to object first, air their fears and review exactly what the plans are in a little more detail. No doubt the plans will go through but not without the odd caveat or compromise here or there. 

At some stage the festival might pass out of the hands of the Eavis family. A new owner, quite likely a larger, more corporate organisation might not share the same consideration for the village and its populous. 

I agree

It sounds to me like late night noise is still a pretty real issue and the license becoming permanent will make them complacent on trying to sort these kinds of issues out. That seems to be the main reason for objections when i looked a few weeks back and its completely understandable.

it must be a real challenge for the village during the set up, festival and take down. I know they get tickets to attend and there seems to be general support but I agree with previous posters that they need to voice objections now to ensure life is tolerable during the summer months.

Noise (especially late night) is a real bother but if its only for 1 or maybe 2 weeks a year I'm sure its manageable.

12 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

it must be a real challenge for the village during the set up, festival and take down. I know they get tickets to attend and there seems to be general support but I agree with previous posters that they need to voice objections now to ensure life is tolerable during the summer months.

Noise (especially late night) is a real bother but if its only for 1 or maybe 2 weeks a year I'm sure its manageable.

Its 4 nights really thursday - sunday. I have no idea how bad it is but shouldn't really have to put up with it full stop

Its something relatively new as well vs 50 years of the festival, only coming about in like 2005 kind of time.

I'd be pretty pissed off if my kids were going to school monday and couldn't sleep because partiboi69 is blasting out about how hes got ket on his dick at 5am haha

They should just pay to send the proper objectors abroad over festival weekend tbh

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't think people care about the structure

I agree

It sounds to me like late night noise is still a pretty real issue and the license becoming permanent will make them complacent on trying to sort these kinds of issues out. That seems to be the main reason for objections when i looked a few weeks back and its completely understandable.

Sound levels were very low last year.

Worried a trend of making them lower may occur.

Surely there's a lot of money to be made by locals, Air BnB your house and go on holiday.

43 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

Some of them scream of miserable old fuck. Some seem quite level headed though... i think the "permanent" bit is throwing a lot of people. Giving them the impression the festival can just do whatever it wants from there on out... which i wont be able to. 

Edited by Havors

27 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Surely there's a lot of money to be made by locals, Air BnB your house and go on holiday.

Why should they. There's a lot of elderly residents in the village who may not want to do that every year.
I think the vast majority of residents (even the more elderly ones) either broadly support or are tolerant of the festival. Any move that may potentially increase the problems the festival causes even several years down the line, is bound to create a negative reaction.

This thread is giving me a 'we're coming close to the end of an era' vibes. Understandably so with the big man getting proper old...but it's kind of sad 😢 One of the reasons I'm bringing the kids this year is because I want them to experience it as it is now and you never know what's around the corner...

15 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

This thread is giving me a 'we're coming close to the end of an era' vibes. Understandably so with the big man getting proper old...but it's kind of sad 😢 One of the reasons I'm bringing the kids this year is because I want them to experience it as it is now and you never know what's around the corner...

Yeah, one of the comments suggests giving a licence "for life" to the owner(s)... I am guessing they don't mean the Eavis kids...

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I meant the owner of the actual land itself though rather then the company that puts on events on it. 

Is that still ME or do GFL actually own the farm (I assume not?)?

56 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I meant the owner of the actual land itself though rather then the company that puts on events on it. 

Is that still ME or do GFL actually own the farm (I assume not?)?

Michael owns it personally (not through a ltd company).

2 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

That's broadly my take as well. They have 362 days notice of the noise, every year. I appreciate there's more to it than that, and the build lasts for months with trucks and traffic, but the festival tries hard to benefit the village. It just seems so curmudgeonly to be such a stickler. I think concerns about future ownership and a lack of checks and balances are very reasonable, but the anti-festival spirit by some, as seen in Zoom meetings during the height of Covid, is depressing.

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Do we even know if he's still actually the owner? Seems like something they might have wanted to move to at least joint ownership of given the inheritance tax implications.

Agricultural land and buildings are exempt from inheritance tax. I would have thought that most family farms would have disappeared if this wasn’t the case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

We camp in Rivermead on the West side and have definitely noticed an increase in late night noise levels over the past 10 years - bass noise coming from on site, not just punters. As in during 2011 it was pretty much silent there all night past 1am. These days you can still hear stuff going on until around 3-4am.

Not complaining obviously, I'm at a festival, but it did take me surprise as I thought the noise issues were pretty strict other than in the SE corner.

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

We camp in Rivermead on the West side and have definitely noticed an increase in late night noise levels over the past 10 years - bass noise coming from on site, not just punters. As in during 2011 it was pretty much silent there all night past 1am. These days you can still hear stuff going on until around 3-4am.

Not complaining obviously, I'm at a festival, but it did take me surprise as I thought the noise issues were pretty strict other than in the SE corner.

I totally agree. We have been camping in Tom's Field since early 00s and it is far noisier all night now with bass than it ever has been before. I used to think it was San Remo but it can't just be that at 3am. 

We were in a field just along from toms field last year and I was amazed at the sound levels especially on the Sunday night right through the night, usually there’s a dip after a certain point to a more background level but it just kept on going..  pretty sure it was San Remo..