Brixton Crush

gfa

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’m not familiar with the layout and location of this venue but I’ve been to events where a police/steward line check that only those with valid tickets are allowed within at least 100 metres of the venue. That usually  dissuades ticketless fans from attempting to get near the main doors. Is that possible here? 

Unfortunately not. It’s on a street corner, which itself is about 10/15m away from brixton high street, so a 100m cordon would cause traffic and footfall chaos 

33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’m not familiar with the layout and location of this venue but I’ve been to events where a police/steward line check that only those with valid tickets are allowed within at least 100 metres of the venue. That usually  dissuades ticketless fans from attempting to get near the main doors. Is that possible here? 

Not really, it’s on th crossroads of a side street that’s about twenty yards from a really busy high street, and maybe a couple of hundred yards from a tube station. It’s always busy, from 7am to midnight pretty much. They could cordon off the side street and keep people there before allowing them near the front doors (as they have done a few times when I’ve got there early on occasion) but the main doors open on to the street and you can’t easily set up a cordon. 

mostly unconnected news, but UEFA have rules about the area around a stadium when they’re using them for football tournaments - you have to have a security cordon a good hundred yards from the stadium for a ticket check and bag search. At some stadiums it’s not a problem at all, but at others it’s a monumental ballache and involves all sorts of stretches of temporary fencing and shit-tons of security staff. Extra logistics for a tournament every four years, but a right pain for Brixton academy six nights a week - I hope they can set it up in a decent, safe way for everyone involved 

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Ok, it’s usually been football matches that I’ve had to go through a cordon of police and stewards. I see the difficulties that this venue has because of its location. 

I went over to France for euro 2016; at the parc des princes it was easy to set up a cordon, and it worked a treat. quick, organised, logical.

It was absolutely shite at the stade des Frances though, the queues were monstrous and everything was crap. It’s so dependant on the area immediately around the ground and the logistics. I wasn’t surprised when Liverpool had all their issues at the stade des Frances at the champs league final last year, it’s just a really badly run stadium 

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The statement from the police is actually positive. 

The force said it would "allow time to work with the venue to facilitate a safe reopening"

So they're conceding that it can reopen, just in a safe way that they work with the venue on. 

That's great, cos if anything goes wrong again in the future, the venue can blame the police. 

27 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I went over to France for euro 2016; at the parc des princes it was easy to set up a cordon, and it worked a treat. quick, organised, logical.

It was absolutely shite at the stade des Frances though, the queues were monstrous and everything was crap. It’s so dependant on the area immediately around the ground and the logistics. I wasn’t surprised when Liverpool had all their issues at the stade des Frances at the champs league final last year, it’s just a really badly run stadium 

Yeah, I was at the Euros in 2016 and the ticket was checked a good two or three times before you got anywhere near the grounds.

Obviously that couldn’t work at Brixton though

Edited by rivalschools.price

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Not really, it’s on th crossroads of a side street that’s about twenty yards from a really busy high street, and maybe a couple of hundred yards from a tube station. It’s always busy, from 7am to midnight pretty much. They could cordon off the side street and keep people there before allowing them near the front doors (as they have done a few times when I’ve got there early on occasion) but the main doors open on to the street and you can’t easily set up a cordon

The only thing that seems plausible is temporary closing of the road in front for the 2-3 hours around entry. Like what football stadiums do.

Divert the traffic to behind the venue by either making the road behind two way by altering the bus lane times or send traffic further round. 

All issues that would cause traffic chaos. I guess they could do a risk assessment and not have to do that for every concert. 

Manchester arena closes off a similarly busy road on exit now and it's just accepted that you avoid that part of the city when it's kicking out time.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Ok, it’s usually been football matches that I’ve had to go through a cordon of police and stewards. I see the difficulties that this venue has because of its location. 

This is fine for like stadium shows and does happen as its only a few nights a year, Brixton has something on basically every day

Booking the blaze for brixton just now and seen the 3 months thing - my ticketmaster voucher is about to expire though so just going to book anyway and hope they extend my voucher's usage period!

8 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Was just reading that, not surprised as I've seen it happen at other events.

We used to do penetration tests at events where we would send unknown staff round to gates at festivals to try bribe their way in. Some promoters still do. 

Not good for the security contractor if this is indeed true and what's allegedly been happening did happen that evening.  

16 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yikes

Had a feeling something like this would come out as I've been pointed towards touts by the security there before. I think this happens at most venues and hopefully with it now being very publicly known and linked to a tragic event the will knuckle down on it. It's very common practice at glasto and the security companies definitely need to address it

I still think the blame lies with the many that turned up without a ticket 

At The Prodigy's second show in Brixton last year, I had an issue transferring a ticket to my partner via the See app and when she tried to enter, it wasn't registering when scanned. I got through ok but walked back when I could see she wasn't close behind. After a dozen failed attempts, the person scanning the tickets just let her in without question. The tickets were legit, I'd got them myself through See but I was surprised that we were just let through so easily without any form of checking.

29 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yikes

Had a feeling something like this would come out as I've been pointed towards touts by the security there before. I think this happens at most venues and hopefully with it now being very publicly known and linked to a tragic event the will knuckle down on it. It's very common practice at glasto and the security companies definitely need to address it

But they are turning up because they know there is a good chance of getting in without a ticket so isn't that on the security company for being corrupt in the first place. 

If it was a well known fact that even if you didn't have a ticket there's a good chance you'll get into a event if you turn up and give x money to security then it's that fact that causes people to turn up. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

But they are turning up because they know there is a good chance of getting in without a ticket so isn't that on the security company for being corrupt in the first place. 

If it was a well known fact that even if you didn't have a ticket there's a good chance you'll get into a event if you turn up and give x money to security then it's that fact that causes people to turn up. 

Yeh I agree more will definitely turn up if they have been told they can bribe their way in, there should still be some thought into it being a sold out event capacities exist for a reason

Interesting in the article someone mentioned Fred again as I didn't feel like that one was overly rammed 

Either way this needs to stop immediately and sold out should mean with no exception that you cant get in unless you have a ticket from a legitimate source 

I'm sure we've all been at gigs where something not right has happened with the capacity.  I remember being at a Manics gig at Shepherds Bush Empire a few years back, and downstairs was utterly rammed from front right to the back, far busier than I've ever seen.  I complained to a security card and basically got told to shut up or leave.  Thankfully nothing tragic happened as it did that night in Brixton, but the Academy is certainly not the only venue that has this problem

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yikes

To get in through a gate at Glasto you'd need to get past more that one person, or have a wristband and pass out ticket already.  I can't see how you'd get in by giving cash to security... on foot through a gate at least.  Perhaps in a vehicle or through a tunnel.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

To get in through a gate at Glasto you'd need to get past more that one person, or have a wristband and pass out ticket already.  I can't see how you'd get in by giving cash to security... on foot through a gate at least.  Perhaps in a vehicle or through a tunnel.

Yeah I thought bribery was more about getting smuggled in rather than going through the gates.

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

There are other gates apart from the main ones (A, B, C & D). I assumed that is where any abuse of the system would happen.

People getting in without tickets is an issue but what should really be the headline is that there were 110 security staff instead of 190.

Based on £10/hour x 6 hours x 80 staff thats almost a £5k saving per night on takehome wages alone.

80 security staff missing is appalling, its almost 50%

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

You would need to at Brixton too, theres 3 different ticket scans (queue entry, searches and then to get into the standing area)

There's alternate ways in though anyway, if you knew someone theres countless fire doors etc you could be snuck in through or security would just walk you through the front door even i bet

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

People getting in without tickets is an issue but what should really be the headline is that there were 110 security staff instead of 190.

Based on £10/hour x 6 hours x 80 staff thats almost a £5k saving per night on takehome wages alone.

80 security staff missing is appalling, its almost 50%

You would need to at Brixton too, theres 3 different ticket scans (queue entry, searches and then to get into the standing area)

There's alternate ways in though anyway, if you knew someone theres countless fire doors etc you could be snuck in through or security would just walk you through the front door even i bet

They only scan your ticket at the entrance before the bag searches. Theyll check your ticket to get into the downstairs bit, but if you have a fake one, they wouldn't know

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They only scan your ticket at the entrance before the bag searches. Theyll check your ticket to get into the downstairs bit, but if you have a fake one, they wouldn't know

Fair enough, its often a bit hazey at Brixton!

Still the fact over 40% of the security weren't there is the more crucial issue, incredibly negligent.