Annual Leave refused!

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I am a pharmacist and as there are a lot of Muslim pharmacists they put a block on it to stop getting into a situation where they can't find locum cover due to many not wanting to work. I have challenged it so hopefully will be OK as it is just the one day at start of week. Can't just ignore it as everything stays on the online system so shows refused leave on there 

That is the downside of being highly qualified and having a role they can't do with out. 

It's a lot easier for some of us losers

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I am a pharmacist and as there are a lot of Muslim pharmacists they put a block on it to stop getting into a situation where they can't find locum cover due to many not wanting to work. I have challenged it so hopefully will be OK as it is just the one day at start of week. Can't just ignore it as everything stays on the online system so shows refused leave on there 

Are they actually blocking Muslims from booking it too though? If not just say you identify as Muslim. If that's the criteria for getting the time off. No-one is going to risk asking someone to prove their faith.

I work in the NHS and they try to allow people to have religious holidays off if possable. However, its still a case of get in early with booking. You can't refuse some one requesting leave becasue you suspect others will want to book the time off for religous duties but have not bothered to book it yet. If its that important then they should book. You snoose you loose.

If you were turned down then i assume others got in first and have already booked the time off.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm sure some people are taking the piss but are a couple here genuinely suggesting leaving this job and becoming a locum etc just cause one day off has been rejected lol

My partner quit her job and got a new one to attend the 2014 festival because they rejected a time off request months in advance, it happens! 

Although this was the duration of the festival they did not allow off, not just the monday... 

Just go the festival and say you thought you had the Monday off, they aren't going to fire you for it. 

Not that's I'd ever advise this because it's really stupid but when I was a younger I told my place of work I'd be off that week and if they didn't allow it then they would be receiving my notice after I found work elsewhere, safe to say it worked. 

Edited by Xeph1995

Some misunderstanding on here as to why Eid causes holiday problems for workplaces and what day it is celebrated, there is no official date set for Eid, it is decided by the sighting of the new moon, by people in either Saudi Arabia or the nearest muslim country to you (Morrocco in our case I believe). Different muslim sects follow different rules and so celebrate on potentially different days leading to the Eid holiday running over several days and causing disruption for businesses, it is very hard to plan in advance and sort out a work rota. I can understand why the OP's business is trying to stop holidays being taken that week and am glad he's managed to sort it out.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Update - My challenge was approved and I am now off!

Was gonna ask for Tues off later in year but won't be able to now. Just be slightly tired I guess 😀

Clearly your boss/approver is off of efests... Now we just have to find out who it is.. 

1 hour ago, Mich1268 said:

I am a social worker. Made it clear I could not attend court on the glastonbury dates. It was 2017. Court ignored it. I resigned. I am still a social worker. 

To be fair there’s so much agency work because no one can recruit enough social workers.

I am now an agency social worker and if I can’t take enough time off for my festivals next year, I might just give up work from June to August & then get something else!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, concerned said:

My partner quit her job and got a new one to attend the 2014 festival because they rejected a time off request months in advance, it happens! 

Although this was the duration of the festival they did not allow off, not just the monday... 

I assume this was not the only problem with the workplace?

9 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm sure some people are taking the piss but are a couple here genuinely suggesting leaving this job and becoming a locum etc just cause one day off has been rejected lol

I am serious. It’s not just about one day off. It’s about having an employer that doesn’t value your personal choices and respect your freedom to live your life. Like I said, this is just me, and I wouldn’t condemn anyone else for putting up with this situation, after all, I don’t know all the details such as how easy a new job would be to find, etc etc. but my point is it’s more about what it represents with regard to the employer / employee relationship than just a Monday.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 6:51 AM, Freddyflintstonree said:

Agreed. Either feign ignorance 'I thought I'd booked it off' style, or pull a sicky. I would avoid raising it tbh. 

Another vote for this.  
sometimes it's better to apologize than to ask for permission 

Edited by Olshansky
didn't realize this thread is from last year