Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

14 hours ago, Mark H said:

In the cold light of day I’m standing by my drunken assessment last night that GnR would deliver a solid headline set on the Pyramid.

Not everyone’s cup of tea and that’s fine! But those that do see them will have a great time and go off into the night happily singing.

How was Axl's voice?

14 hours ago, airwaves said:

Yeah, but I thought that it had been oft said that headliners make shed-loads of money from increased album sales linked to the - for them - "free" 2 hour advert on the live broadcast 

That worked when people bought albums. Back in the 90s and 00s bands would tour to promote the album. These days the album launch is promo for the tour, as everyone just streams it anyway.

Which leaves festivals like Glasto in a difficult place.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That worked when people bought albums. Back in the 90s and 00s bands would tour to promote the album. These days the album launch is promo for the tour, as everyone just streams it anyway.

Which leaves festivals like Glasto in a difficult place.

Works as an advert for their next tour I guess. Problem there being most are in tge middle of one.

23 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

I saw GnR at Leeds fest in '02 and they were solidly whelming.  

On paper they tick the boxes as a heritage rock act headliner.  Approaching 40 years of activity, a fair few big tunes - whether you like them or not, it's hard to say that Sweet Child o' mine, November rain, Paradise City, Welcome to the jungle and their cover of Live and let die aren't good songs that are loved by many.  

Personally, GnR doesn't fill me with excitement but I can't recall when there's been a year where all 3 pyramid headliners did.

Which brings us to the tantalising idea of Live and Let Die getting two outings on the Pyramid stage in subsequent years.

Bonus question for Glastonbury eggheads... can you name any other songs that have also achieved this accolade? Off the top of my head:

Where the Streets Have No Name (Muse 2010/U2 2011)
Staylin Alive (Coldplay 2016/Barry Gibb 2017)

Anymore for anymore?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Which brings us to the tantalising idea of Live and Let Die getting two outings on the Pyramid stage in subsequent years.

Bonus question for Glastonbury eggheads... can you name any other songs that have also achieved this accolade? Off the top of my head:

Anymore for anymore?

Islands in the Stream got three outings across two years, Kenny Rogers played it twice and then Dolly Parton the year after.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anymore for anymore?

Not quite the same thing but All Day & All Of The Night got played on both Other and Pyramid the same year in 2010 by the Stranglers and Ray Davies respectively

Also It's A Sin was played twice on Other this year by two consecutive acts (Years & Years, PSB)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anymore for anymore?

Nearly - the Zutons played Valerie in 2008, I'd imagine Amy Winehouse did that year or the year before on the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, WhatADin said:

Genuinely the most dull performance I ever saw. I really liked them before that too!

One of the only headliners I've ever walked away from (the other was Kanye near the start but that was to see someone else). To be fair, I wasn't fussed about them at the time but do like a few songs.

The dry ice obscuring the band on stage, the 50's rock n' roll schtick etc just got on my nerves early on. We went and had a wander round the greenfields.  

3 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Anymore for anymore?

I feel like Don McLean did American Pie multiple times in the one set - I know not quite what you're looking for.

9 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

How was Axl's voice?

Not fantastic. But to be honest it really didn’t impact on my night. I wasn’t attending for a precise vocal performance and the songs carried themselves.

In my view the measure that matters is whether or not a performance is enjoyable and that was three hours of solid fun. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Foals and Pet Shop Boys at Glasto this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Not fantastic. But to be honest it really didn’t impact on my night. I wasn’t attending for a precise vocal performance and the songs carried themselves.

In my view the measure that matters is whether or not a performance is enjoyable and that was three hours of solid fun. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Foals and Pet Shop Boys at Glasto this year.

Ok… I’m already walking back the Pet Shop Boys comment. But I stand by GnR being a much better performance than Foals.

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fair enough, I was there and didn't remember that!

I thought I remembered it as him playing Islands in the stream twice.  I didn't think he played the gambler twice as well. I could be wrong tho,too many Glastos effect the memory. Kudos to him to tho, he played what people wanted to hear.

21 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Works as an advert for their next tour I guess. Problem there being most are in tge middle of one.

Confidence Man the prime example of this. Amazing set and when I got back home were the act a lot of people mentioned as being ace on iPlayer. They were shocked when their first two KOKO gigs sold out instantly, then they added The Roundhouse on top and sold that out too. Definitely a result of Glastonbury buzz I reckon. 

The way everyone streams things, and the buzz social media can create, means the smaller acts on the lineup get far more eyes on them than ever. Not just the headliners/legend who get a big boost from the BBC coverage these days.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:06 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

Anymore for anymore?

Right Here Right Now every single bloody festival from Fatboy Slim since the year it came out…

(not Pyramid, granted, but still…)

Edited by GrumpyRaver

• 1 month later...