Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

He may or may not be telling the truth... 🤷‍♂️ Don't suppose we'll ever know for sure. So it's up to you if you assume the worst, or assume the best, as long as you're conscious of the fact that all you're doing is assuming. 

Well said. Sometimes people get wrongly accused of sex crimes and it's important to be precise in discussing matters when we don't know for certain as people naturally assume the worse and a false narrative is built around someone.

If anyone spent an hour reading about the Woody Allen case most open minded people would come to the conclusion that he is almost certainly innocent due to the overwhelming evidence in his favour but most people just assume the worst 

5 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

A lot of people claim their live shows are shit dating back to glssto 13

It’s all subjective - however I don’t know what the exact specific criticisms are regarding their live show, other than people just describing it as “shit” or “boring.” I guess they play a lot of their new material which as we know is quite polarising - if you don’t like the newer stuff I guess you probably wouldn’t have the best time seeing them play it? 

As a small side note I’ve seen more artists live than I could ever count in my time, and the last time I saw them in 2018 was in my top 3 gigs I’ve ever been to. I’d always go and see AM live whenever the chance arises 

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Well said. Sometimes people get wrongly accused of sex crimes and it's important to be precise in discussing matters when we don't know for certain as people naturally assume the worse and a false narrative is built around someone.

If anyone spent an hour reading about the Woody Allen case most open minded people would come to the conclusion that he is almost certainly innocent due to the overwhelming evidence in his favour but most people just assume the worst 

Sadly people love a bit of scandal and love to assume the worst, partly so they can feel morally superior.

Very few people want to or can be bothered researching.

8 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

A caution is not a misdemeanour. A misdemeanour means you are guilty of a crime

Eh?

Cautions are given for minor crimes.  You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. 

A misdemeanour is a minor offence. 

16 minutes ago, pops1998 said:

It’s all subjective - however I don’t know what the exact specific criticisms are regarding their live show, other than people just describing it as “shit” or “boring.” I guess they play a lot of their new material which as we know is quite polarising - if you don’t like the newer stuff I guess you probably wouldn’t have the best time seeing them play it? 

As a small side note I’ve seen more artists live than I could ever count in my time, and the last time I saw them in 2018 was in my top 3 gigs I’ve ever been to. I’d always go and see AM live whenever the chance arises 

I think by all accounts they don't, the past few shows have had more tracks of AM than the new album. They've moved on on record to mixed response but their live show is still stuck in 2013.

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

Eh?

Cautions are given for minor crimes.  You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. 

A misdemeanour is a minor offence. 

I should have worded that better. A misdemeanour is a minor crime but a caution is an outcome of an investigation

You can get a caution for a misdemeanour but you can also get a conviction

In the case of what Pete Townsend was accused of if he was convicted it wouldn't be a misdemeanour

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Pete Townsend has an interesting search history and yet has still headlined twice since I've been going.

See it's not about that for me though. It's not about who has done a crime or who has dodgy political views. You *can* separate the art from the artist. (Yes, whether you should or not is totally up for debate but you can).

What's gross about GnR essentially oozes out through their entire output: the attitude, the appearance, the music...

It's not about what they may or may not have done, it's about the entire thing being representative of that 80s sleazy rock band cliche. I'm not saying that a logical reaction, I'm sure you can pick apart the argument as it's emotional rather than logical, but it's why they don't feel very Glastonbury to me.

28 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I should have worded that better. A misdemeanour is a minor crime but a caution is an outcome of an investigation

You can get a caution for a misdemeanour but you can also get a conviction

In the case of what Pete Townsend was accused of if he was convicted it wouldn't be a misdemeanour

A misdemeanour doesn't necessarily have to involve breaking the law though, it can be used colloquially (as I did) for any sort of unsavoury deed, whether convicted or not. 

5 hours ago, pops1998 said:

People regularly put AM 13 as a regret or their most dull headliner they've ever seen. And that's before their decisive material. People's reviews this summer were broadly negative from R&L. 

15 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

People regularly put AM 13 as a regret or their most dull headliner they've ever seen. And that's before their decisive material. People's reviews this summer were broadly negative from R&L. 

I actually enjoyed AM13, they’ve been pretty underwhelming since though.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I actually enjoyed AM13, they’ve been pretty underwhelming since though.

Me too. One of my favourite headline sets. Was initially disappointed that they didn’t do mardy bum / WTSGD / 505 until their encore started after half the field had walked off! 

36 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

In contrast, I’ve been told by several people in the past it was an all time Glastonbury highlight for them.

What a few individual people might say on a forum is not reflective of the other 100k+ (estimating) people who were there. We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on this one 

44 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Glasto 2013 looked great tbf. Certainly better than the 2 AM 2013/14 tour shows I caught after that when they bought in more AM material and played it in sonically suspect venues.

Best of my 4 times seeing AM was 2011 on their last UK tour before R U Mine came out the following spring.

11 minutes ago, pops1998 said:

In contrast, I’ve been told by several people in the past it was an all time Glastonbury highlight for them.

What a few individual people might say on a forum is not reflective of the other 100k+ (estimating) people who were there. We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on this one 

I was there and to this day cannot remember a thing about it.  Great times…

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

I was there and to this day cannot remember a thing about it.  Great times…

Same thing happened to me for Arcade Fire… I was fine at the time but my memory got erased in the south east corner all nighter afterwards! 🤪

8 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

I saw GnR at Leeds fest in '02 and they were solidly whelming.  

On paper they tick the boxes as a heritage rock act headliner.  Approaching 40 years of activity, a fair few big tunes - whether you like them or not, it's hard to say that Sweet Child o' mine, November rain, Paradise City, Welcome to the jungle and their cover of Live and let die aren't good songs that are loved by many.  

Personally, GnR doesn't fill me with excitement but I can't recall when there's been a year where all 3 pyramid headliners did.

Mostly 40years of inactivity trying to deliver a second album. 

57 minutes ago, pops1998 said:

It was great, it's as good a setlist as I would ever get from them. The only thing they may just edge it is their 2014 shows as they played as extra classic from the AM album. That is literally the only reason I want to see them again and I'm not even guaranteed to hear it with the latest garbage they put out.

In the cold light of day I’m standing by my drunken assessment last night that GnR would deliver a solid headline set on the Pyramid.

Not everyone’s cup of tea and that’s fine! But those that do see them will have a great time and go off into the night happily singing.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 2:47 AM, Suprefan said:

Artists need to make money or the festival appearance isnt really worth it cause it pays shite. 

Yeah, but I thought that it had been oft said that headliners make shed-loads of money from increased album sales linked to the - for them - "free" 2 hour advert on the live broadcast 

50 minutes ago, Mark H said:

In the cold light of day I’m standing by my drunken assessment last night that GnR would deliver a solid headline set on the Pyramid.

Not everyone’s cup of tea and that’s fine! But those that do see them will have a great time and go off into the night happily singing.

I appreciate your opinion. I'd be quite partial to seeing them (I have before but over 10 years ago now).

50 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Also how's the hangover?