Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

7 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

No headliner is for everyone

even the rolling stones year that emptied the rest of the site. I only know that cos i didnt go! 

I often wonder who the most popular act would be at the festival.

Not necessarily the headliner, but an act where most people would love to see them. 

Stevie Wonder must have been a front runner. 

Lionel maybe? 

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

I think you’re confusing how big an act is with peoples opinion of them.

Of course the Weekend is big enough to headline, no doubt he’d also put on a great performance and he’d obviously be a great booking for that slot.

I still think his music is sterile and have absolutely no interest in him, an act having sold loads of records doesn’t automatically make them objectively good, or mean that everyone likes them, or indeed should automatically like them.

Do you automatically watch every Pyramid headliner, simply because they’ve sold a lot of records?

Just because you like them it’s extremely arrogant to then expect everyone else to have the same taste as you, especially when you’re basing your view on things like record sales. People watch Mrs browns boys in their millions and Carling is the most popular lager in the UK, it doesn’t mean I should like either of them by default simply because they’re popular with a lot of other people.

If you’d bother to read the comments properly nobody is saying the Weekend can’t or shouldn’t headline, they just don’t all have the same music taste as you, and if anything am artist having one of the most popular songs of all time should help you understand why that isn’t going to be for everyone? 

eh?

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've not checked the dates, but are Blur definitely ruled out? Just got added to Roskilde 

The thing that rules them out is that their Wembley date(s) are apparently a UK exclusive, but seeing as those dates are sold out I would say that’s pretty meaningless, as being announced for Glasto won’t affect anybody. If they’re not doing Glasto, it’s because they don’t want to and/or Glastonbury don’t want them to, which is why their Wembley dates are an exclusive, they aren’t not doing Glastonbury because either of them want to do it, but the Wembley exclusive is stopping them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Not necessarily the headliner, but an act where most people would love to see them. 

Lionel maybe? 

It’s difficult to transcend the generations, Glastonbury attracts a crowd aged from 8 to 80. Macca, simply because he’s a Beatle, with such an amazing amount of bangers, had a wide appeal. Some, such as us, because we  are fans, others because they knew the tunes. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

45 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

The thing that rules them out is that their Wembley date(s) are apparently a UK exclusive, but seeing as those dates are sold out I would say that’s pretty meaningless, as being announced for Glasto won’t affect anybody. If they’re not doing Glasto, it’s because they don’t want to and/or Glastonbury don’t want them to, which is why their Wembley dates are an exclusive, they aren’t not doing Glastonbury because either of them want to do it, but the Wembley exclusive is stopping them. 

I reckon they've ruled themselves out because the don't want to risk not living up to 2009. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

I reckon they've ruled themselves out because the don't want to risk not living up to 2009. 

As CG posted a while back, Dave Rowntree certainly gave the impression on 6 Music they were looking to do new things and not retread old ground. His comments definately made me think they were not doing it.

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

It is, cause you can only do it on the internet. Nobody has the stones to respond that way in person unless you were at a footie match and had 10 lagers in your system. Even funnier cause its grown ups acting like theyre 13 on a keyboard.

I say much worse to people’s faces completely sober all the time… but then again, most people think I’m an arsehole. 

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Lionel maybe? 

I think Stevie Wonder was probably one of the fullest headliner fields I've been in.  Hard to say when you're in the middle of it all, but I recall at one point facing away from the stage towards the back as a load of spotlights went up the field.  It was rammed and EVERYONE was dancing.  I'm guessing it helped that it was a Faithless at Sunset/Stevie Wonder twofer at the end of a dry and sunny festival, but it was such a great atmosphere.

18 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think Stevie Wonder was probably one of the fullest headliner fields I've been in.  Hard to say when you're in the middle of it all, but I recall at one point facing away from the stage towards the back as a load of spotlights went up the field.  It was rammed and EVERYONE was dancing.  I'm guessing it helped that it was a Faithless at Sunset/Stevie Wonder twofer at the end of a dry and sunny festival, but it was such a great atmosphere.

Yeah I was near the front for Stevie and getting out afterwards took an unbelievable amount of time. The crowd was absolutely enormous!

1 hour ago, ClementsMike said:

As CG posted a while back, Dave Rowntree certainly gave the impression on 6 Music they were looking to do new things and not retread old ground. His comments definately made me think they were not doing it.

Yeah Lammo was obviously hinting at Glastonbury and they said Wembley would be the only UK date, but they'd be doing others elsewhere. Can't see that changing. 

Fleetwood mac i reckon for most popular but hard to quantify!

The year they were on the stones drained the rest of the site but demographics and crowd size increases mean the likes of that arent that likely anymore

for every fleetwood mac where younger people wouldnt care theres a taylor swift where some older ppl wouldnt care. Theres no one that can unite the demographics completely, which is a good thing!

spice girls legend would be absolutely heaving

4 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Fleetwood mac i reckon for most popular but hard to quantify!

The year they were on the stones drained the rest of the site but demographics and crowd size increases mean the likes of that arent that likely anymore

for every fleetwood mac where younger people wouldnt care theres a taylor swift where some older ppl wouldnt care. Theres no one that can unite the demographics completely, which is a good thing!

spice girls legend would be absolutely heaving

From my view i think people around my age (21) care a lot more about Fleetwood tunes than Macca ones. Only me and one other went to macca from our group (mostly to see a beatle) but i think a decent amount would want to see Fleetwood Mac

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s difficult to transcend the generations, Glastonbury attracts a crowd aged from 8 to 80. Macca, simply because he’s a Beatle, with such an amazing amount of bangers, had a wide appeal. Some, such as us, because we  are fans, others because they knew the tunes. 

I was talking to a fella after Lionel in 2015 who said he was working in the control centre, and said he had done for years. I was saying it was mad how packed the pyramid was for Lionel and he agreed, but said the busiest he’d ever known it to be was for Springsteen.

Who knows if he was telling the truth on a few different levels mind you! He did have some fancy wristbands!

Agreed on daft punk. That would drain the rest of the festival- unless you had someone whopper on the other.

Edited by CiaranMc

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Pretty sure the Stones and Dolly were busier and reported as "biggest ever" 

29 minutes ago, gfa said:

Someone with the mega rarity might be up there too. Maybe its my own taste coming through but the crowd for Daft Punk would be ridiculous i think.

If the rumours are true they just send along a couple of stand ins with helmets on 😊