Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Pretty sure the Stones and Dolly were busier and reported as "biggest ever"

The "biggest ever" apparently was The Levellers in 1994

1994 – The Levellers The biggest audience ever seen at the Pyramid Stage. An incredible 300,000 people got in that year when a security fence was breached.

10 minutes ago, CiaranMc said:

I think the whole aura surrounding them and the MASSIVE hype of a comeback would draw people out of curiosity. fair to say their starting crowd would be well bigger than their finishing crowd maybe.

Yeah, the busiest I can remember the Other stage field being was maybe 2011 (I think) when Arcadia was set up to the side of it and they had a TBC first on and everyone was loosing their shit thinking it might be Daft Punk.  I wanted to believe 🙂 Obviously the spider is the worst place for a large audience to experience something like that, we all crushed in anyway.   I think that year they had a 30 second video at Coachella, or something like that, and everyone lost their minds.  Hype would be massive, but some people still wouldn't fancy it 

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

If the rumours are true they just send along a couple of stand ins with helmets on 😊

I know people who reckon most electronic music might as well be just that - whether it's the actual act or not, they effectively just have to turn up and press play.

Reckon the Stone Roses after the initial reunion gigs would have been a pretty big draw. They kicked the arse out of it and IB has gone crazy so its all over now.

If Mozza renounced all his sins and The Smiths came back ... that would be big. As would/will the Oasis comeback whenever.

Elton in a Legend slot would be enormous for sure. I think he'd pull a reasonable headline slot but nothing outstanding.

58 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The "biggest ever" apparently was The Levellers in 1994

That's easily debunked though.

Just the size of the Pyramid Field as it was then, compared to now, suggests that if they'd had even half that many people then it'd have led to some serious crowd issues.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Ha ha, is that from a levellers fan page? 

It's from their own site:

"JEREMY: Still the biggest crowd in front of the main stage - and it always will be according to Eavis ‘cos since then crowd control has got a lot more serious as they built the enormous fence to keep everyone out."

On Wikipedia too, and pretty sure it's in one of the Glasto books. RATM were on before them, both bands at their peak, was a big crowd.

I thought 2000 had a bigger crowd though and the 2000 Chemical Brothers set was also rumoured to be the biggest somewhere else. Both sunny festivals were the fence came down in places. 

21 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

It's from their own site:

"JEREMY: Still the biggest crowd in front of the main stage - and it always will be according to Eavis ‘cos since then crowd control has got a lot more serious as they built the enormous fence to keep everyone out."

On Wikipedia too, and pretty sure it's in one of the Glasto books. RATM were on before them, both bands at their peak, was a big crowd.

I thought 2000 had a bigger crowd though and the 2000 Chemical Brothers set was also rumoured to be the biggest somewhere else. Both sunny festivals were the fence came down in places. 

How much bigger / smaller was the footprint of the pyramid field in those years?  I'd of thought fewer people with chunky backpacks on their backs, flags and camping chairs might all make a small difference.  300k still seems a long way from reality - I remember for Rolling Stones they made a big deal about increasing the viewing area at the back of the field so tents weren't allowed immediately on the other side of the footpath, so it would be interesting how far the field had changed from Levellers or Bowie.

For rolling stones we arrived a bit late and physically couldn't get into the field through the gap in the hedge half way back - I know that can just be from the effect of a solid wall of people at the fringe and once you're past them there is actually space.  Similarly, just because an area of the field might be 'tents' doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of extra people stood amongst those tents.

5 minutes ago, p.pete said:

How much bigger / smaller was the footprint of the pyramid field in those years?  I'd of thought fewer people with chunky backpacks on their backs, flags and camping chairs might all make a small difference.  300k still seems a long way from reality - I remember for Rolling Stones they made a big deal about increasing the viewing area at the back of the field so tents weren't allowed immediately on the other side of the footpath, so it would be interesting how far the field had changed from Levellers or Bowie.

For rolling stones we arrived a bit late and physically couldn't get into the field through the gap in the hedge half way back - I know that can just be from the effect of a solid wall of people at the fringe and once you're past them there is actually space.  Similarly, just because an area of the field might be 'tents' doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of extra people stood amongst those tents.

Actually this fits quite well with a video I just found on my phone  .... look at all the space around the flares .... 2008 for reference 

Edited by Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Yeah, no way was that field holding that many people in 94, as you say for a host of reasons.  Interesting claim though. 

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

This picture is from 95:

image.png.4df876664bd24c8438c454d68dacb92f.png

You can see that a very large chunk of the field was covered by tents - the path and the tree at the back of the field are in the same location so are useful as a benchmark. The stage itself was moved and reorientated in 99 to approximately this:

image.png.ea748c8c28c4198448c0a2474c3083f3.png

So yeah. Absolutely no chance the Levellers had 300k in 1994. Maybe at a stretch they had a quarter of that..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, incident said:

This picture is from 95:

image.png.4df876664bd24c8438c454d68dacb92f.png

You can see that a very large chunk of the field was covered by tents - the path and the tree at the back of the field are in the same location so are useful as a benchmark. The stage itself was moved and reorientated in 99 to approximately this:

image.png.ea748c8c28c4198448c0a2474c3083f3.png

So yeah. Absolutely no chance the Levellers had 300k in 1994. Maybe at a stretch they had a quarter of that..

Good work Columbo. 

I think I've found where the wiki error came from, the difference between the 1994 attendance, quoted below and their crowd (quoted in their wiki page and homepage) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival