Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In terms of hard rock headliners, Foo and the lads are widely revered and issue new material on the reg - so are more 'relevant' - but they don't have a fraction of the bangers that GnR have up their sleeves.

This.

GnR are a heritage act, no question, but nobody was asking when Macca/The Stones/The Who/The Cure/Stevie Wonder/Metallica last had a hit.

Booking GnR is no different to any of the above.

Ok:

AM - 20%. Seen them before, so not too bothered. Expect there to be something I'd prefer on another stage.

GnR - 5%. Not really for me, but might hang around for a song or 2 if I'm passing through.

Elton - 90%. Not someone I'd go to see at their own gig, but would defs be up for it at Glasto.

On the whole "know their songs" metric - I think there's an argument to be made that if you asked everyone on site to name as many songs by the headliners as possible, this year you'd get the most correct answers.

The only ones that would come close are 2011 (Beyonce, U2, Coldplay), 2004 (Macca, Oasis, Muse) and 2000 (Bowie, Travis, Chemical Brothers). Macca and Bowie distorting it quite heavily in those latter two.

Doesn't make them good bookings necessarily but I think they have very wide appeal.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Depends if BST has sold out by then or not. It's possible they're doing Glasto at a cheaper fee as they know the coverage on TV works as promo for that gig. Which falls apart if they're on late because *that* then becomes the story and people don't both booking BST ("How will I get home if they run late and the tubes aren't running?") and people who are trying to watch live will give up after waiting five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I agree they don't give a shit about the festival itself or indeed the people in the field, but it going out live on national TV, with their biggest gig with tickets available in the country the following weekend, it's a different picture.

I mean, we'll know if you're right as they'll probably decline the TV footage if they're just doing it for the payday, as the money for that won't be worth the risk if anything goes wrong.

Yeah all fair points, I’m not actually saying they will be late, their history of being late is up and down and they seem to go through stages, it’s not like they’re always late, but sometimes they are. I just have reservations that just because it’s Glastonbury, they’ll treat it any differently to how they treated their Tottenham stadium gigs back in July, I think there are arguments for and against.

FWIW I’m also not against the booking and not arguing the point they could be late for that reason, I just think it’s a possibility that needs to be considered. 

For what it’s worth;

AM: 5%, saw them a few times back in their heyday, haven’t listened for years. Only thing to get me there would be a complete lack of other options and my full group frothing at the mouth at the prospect of Pyramid.

GNR: 0%, nope nope nope

Reg: 100%, queer icon, bag load of amazing songs, last opportunity etc. It’s gonna be incredible. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This.

GnR are a heritage act, no question, but nobody was asking when Macca/The Stones/The Who/The Cure/Stevie Wonder/Metallica last had a hit.

Booking GnR is no different to any of the above.

I think in part it's because there's sort of two of those this year with Elton. And no-one can argue that you'd pick GnR over Elton. If it were Taylor, AM, GnR I think people would be much less fussed.

(Notwithstanding the fact Elton has has multiple number one records the last few years and while some are arguably "remixes" Cold Heart at least is different enough to stand alone)

irrelevant view - 

AM - 100% Saw them there headline before and have seen them live elsewhere. Love the music and development of the sound. Bona fide top level contemporary act.

GnR - 0% Always hated them and everything about them. They have only got worse and more of a parody. I genuinely turn off the radio should they ever come on when I'm listening.

Reg - 75% I think he'd have made a good legends spot. I think hes a bit of an arse, but I get it, and if it goes well it'll be brilliant. Its a knife edge though ...

For the love of god Emily - dump GnR and give someone a nudge up. 

55 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The three headliners seem to be going over rather well across the socials I’ve seen (granted, not Facebook where most of the whiners seem to congregate). Lots of older people I’m seeing seem pretty stoked about GnR.

Is this Twitter?

I was on reddit and it seemed quite negative

Elton's voice is a million miles ahead of both Macca's and Axl's at this point. I know the Dill Danding thing is funny but if you actually listen to the original version of I'm Still Standing it has all the weird diction in it, just not to quite the same extent. Hadn't realised until I heard it on the radio the other day but puts it in perspective:

AM - 30% ... I'm a fan of them on record but I've seen them before and I don't have any urge to see them again. If there's a tasty run on the Pyramid beforehand and the group consensus is to stay there, I can't see myself putting up too much of a fight. But equally I'd be very surprised if there's nothing that drags me elsewhere. 

GNR - 5% ... I can enjoy Welcome to the Jungle and Mr Brownstone I suppose. But yeah, overall not for me. Would much rather be elsewhere and it would have to be a pretty pitiful day for me to consider. And even then, I'll probably just go SEC. 

Elton - 90% ... There are a very small handful of acts that could pull me away. Realistically though, I'm not going to be missing this.

27 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I'm pretty sure you've posted every other day about how much you think its a bad booking, how stupid the festival is for booking them and how insane people are to even believe they would be booked since November. If you're going to do this until June then I'm out as its boring and derails most conversations. 

then stop trying to suggest they're not a bad booking, and i have nothing to comment against.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

then stop trying to suggest they're not a bad booking, and i have nothing to comment against.

I've not said that they're not a bad booking or good booking. In all honesty I don't care. Its just boring to see you shut down any conversation. You're literally an old man shouting into a void.