Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

i thought it was so cynical of Swift to release four covers of her last album as she knows the rapid Swifties would buy all of them

Oh same here. I can respect artists want to make money obviously but some of the methods nowadays seem incredibly manipulative. 

23 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

in what way does he treat his fans like shit? 

This is a genuine question I don't know much about him other than his two albums

Frank is probably in my top 5 artists of all time, but even us fans embrace the face that he quite evidently does not like us lol. He rarely, rarely, rarelyyyy plays live, and has never made any attempt to connect with his fans through other platforms. I'm not really arsed by it, as the guy doesn't really owe us anything, and I love him nonetheless, but he is incredibly enigmatic - for good or bad. 

He's also began to run a pretty exclusive jewellery range called 'Homer' which he appears to devoting a lot of time with. Again, fair enough if that's what he wants to do, but he's not exactly endearing himself to fans by selling jewels worth $000s - cock ring included.

Edited by JayDiesel

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Tool are my favourite band of all time but there's no way I'm buying the $500 glass skull they just released because it's "limited edition" 

On that subject, Fear Inoculum is one of my favourite albums but I'm not spending £100 on a CD for it even if it does look fancy! 

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

it does look pretty cool though

Stop it now, I know it does, don't tempt me. I've already been disgusted at myself for buying their signed poster for half the price of a skull but those things instantly double in value the moment you get one at a show. 

Edited by BenG92

Just now, Metal Monkey said:

On that subject, Fear Inoculum is one of my favourite albums but I'm not spending £100 on a CD for it even if it does look fancy! 

How much was that vinyl bundle, like £300 or something daft? Then after they fleeced all the vinyl people they released a regular ugly edition for much less. I love them but they're one of the worst bands on the planet for this stuff, I just can't blame them when so many of us idiots buy into it. 

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Stop it now, I know it does, don't tempt me. I've already been disgusted at myself for buying their signed poster for half the price of a skull but those things instantly double in value the moment you get one at a show. 

How about we split the cost?

It will come to my house first and then at some point in the unspecified future it could maybe go to your house for a brief period

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

How much was that vinyl bundle, like £300 or something daft? Then after they fleeced all the vinyl people they released a regular ugly edition for much less. I love them but they're one of the worst bands on the planet for this stuff, I just can't blame them when so many of us idiots buy into it. 

I like having the limited edition stuff or nice artwork, and on previous albums it was a reasonable price to get it. This time round there was no normal CD, only the £100 one at first, which does take the piss a bit. I'd love that vinyl too but £300 is crazy. It is a business I guess, I'm sure they have done alright out of it. 

Can't complain too much as I spent £400 on their gig tickets for me and the Mrs so I'm still a mug!

3 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

Can't complain too much as I spent £400 on their gig tickets for me and the Mrs so I'm still a mug!

Think our 5th row Manchester seats were £95 each but I signed up for their £50 club for a better chance at getting them, we're all mugs!

That said, that price for a guaranteed amazing view and 2.5 hour spectacle when blink-182 are charging the same to play badly to standing people for 90 minutes... it's not all bad. 

22 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

This. This is the kind of research I come here for!

The Beatles weren’t on streaming services for many years which will explain that. Also with The Beatles everyone has a different favourite because there are so many. 

Sorry quotes the wrong post! 

Edited by gigpusher

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Think our 5th row Manchester seats were £95 each but I signed up for their £50 club for a better chance at getting them, we're all mugs!

That said, that price for a guaranteed amazing view and 2.5 hour spectacle when blink-182 are charging the same to play badly to standing people for 90 minutes... it's not all bad. 

No complaints from me either actually, best gigs of last year. And £95 for 5th row is good, 5th row at the o2 all seemed to be Ticketmaster flexible pricing at around £150-200. 

If people mention Tool enough in this thread maybe they will headline!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

If people mention Tool enough in this thread maybe they will headline!

Ha, when pigs fly eh. Download 2019 was funny enough, I think 3/4 of the people there had never heard of them and the remaining 1/4 (including me) went solely because they were there. 13 bloody years it had been! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PGTIps said:

Two predominantly non-english speaking headliners at Coachella is a big moment. Deserves applauding.

Adore Frank personally, Blonde is an incredible record. If he actually shows for the set it will be a coup for the festival. 

Yeah it’s pretty insane when you think about it. Ten, maybe even five years ago it would be hard to imagine a non English speaking act headlining a festival like Coachella (unless there’s some from the past I’m forgetting). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it’s pretty insane when you think about it. Ten, maybe even five years ago it would be hard to imagine a non English speaking act headlining a festival like Coachella (unless there’s some from the past I’m forgetting). 

You are - Fela Kuti and King Sunny Ade

1 hour ago, theouterlimits said:

The thought occurred to me - the apparent headliner trio is the first trio in a long time (maybe ever!?) where each artist has a song which has had over a billion streams on Spotify. 

AMs: Do I Wanna Know & Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
GNR: Sweet Child O Mine
Elton: Cold Heart 

Not even Paul McCartney has a billion-streamer, none of the Beatles songs have hit that milestone. Nor the Stones! Shows just what an enduring hit Sweet Child is. I'll likely be elsewhere, but the more I think about it, the more I find myself coming round to the idea that GNR in its current lineup is a stronger booking than many seem to think

There are certainly a few who've cropped up who have multiple billion streamers, but as you say maybe not in the same year... 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/heres-every-song-over-1-billion-spotify-streams

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There are certainly a few who've cropped up who have multiple billion streamers, but as you say maybe not in the same year... 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/heres-every-song-over-1-billion-spotify-streams

Yeah it's obviously not a perfect metric in terms of establishing popularity, but what it is very good at is showing which established artists/songs are still popular now and have transcended the generations. 

2 hours ago, therefused said:

like you believed roxy music were playing?

that was from the same contact who had correctly given me the headliners for several years, including last year. i had every reason to believe them, just as you're now believing me saying gnr and am. 😛 

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

that was from the same contact who had correctly given me the headliners for several years, including last year. i had every reason to believe them, just as you're now believing me saying gnr and am. 😛 

Is it that same contact who's now given you GnR and AM? 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

I got the  £40 vinyl. It is no worse than any other artists regular records in terms of how ugly it is. Sounds incredible though.

Still waiting for 10,000 days on vinyl though...

And re-issues of Aenima (too rare) and Lateralus (Pic disc only so far - ugh)

Just now, Alvoram said:

Is it that same contact who's now given you GnR and AM? 

no, those have come from another long time contact, who has given me an endless load of correct stuff including about the blur wembley shows for this year.

i believed both of those contacts them because they have an excellent proven record of being right, which rough bloke doesn't have.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

no, those have come from another long time contact, who has given me an endless load of correct stuff including about the blur wembley shows for this year.

i believed both of those contacts them because they have an excellent proven record of being right, which rough bloke doesn't have.

Cheers. 🙂

P.s not interested in the argument at all, I was just interested to know if this was the contact you'd been correctly predicting headliners with for the last few years or not. 👍 That other nonsense is none of my business. 🙂 

Just now, Alvoram said:

Cheers. 🙂

P.s not interested in the argument at all, I was just interested to know if this was the contact you'd been correctly predicting headliners with for the last few years or not. 👍 That other nonsense is none of my business. 🙂 

not sure if this guy has given me headliners before (cos he's sent me so much over time), he does send me lots of only correct info  every year and has for a number of years. i know who he is and where he gets his info (hes in the right loops to hear stuff).