Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I remember them opening strongly then the set dropping off a cliff aftee half an hour or so.

Remember the band distancing themselves from the performance afterwards too.

Thought thy nailed it. Was real close in the pit and the visuals really worked.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/worthy-farm-pilton-england-23c9546f.html

Reviews were all excellent too.

The Who/Paul Weller at Glastonbury 2015 review – sparky, belligerent and packed with hits

The Who at Glastonbury 2015 review: Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend deliver the Sunday night goods

The Who, Glastonbury 2015 review: greatest hits send crowds home happy and a bit deaf

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

A little more than distancing… they out and out claimed someone sabotaged their set up, and moaned a lot about the sound. 

https://www.thewho.com/backstage-blog/28-june-2015-glastonbury-festival-worthy-farm-somerset/

"Our sound and light experts felt it really worked, with one of the most fervent audiences we’ve ever had, and ZILLIONS of them going nuts, living the music as they sang and jumped and waved arms. Incredible response, so something had to be very right about all this.........Some serious magic did happen despite all the struggle."

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

A little more than distancing… they out and out claimed someone sabotaged their set up, and moaned a lot about the sound. 

https://www.thewho.com/backstage-blog/28-june-2015-glastonbury-festival-worthy-farm-somerset/

Odd blog really, but they seemed to quite like it all things considered 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I remember Townsend getting the red mist at one point, but I don't recall it being due to something I could hear with my own ears.

Caveat: I was a long way from stony sober.

He did....I certainly remember him angrily pulling down the wind-screen in front of Zak Starkey at one point.

Was stone cold sober at The Who and halfway up the field. Had seen them in Brum the week before and they had been excellent. I'm firmly in the camp of starting well then dropping off. Can't quite put my finger on why but there seemed to be a change when Townshend had his hissy fit and was pulling at the drum screens. All seemed to get a bit muddy after that. 

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

He did....I certainly remember him angrily pulling down the wind-screen in front of Zak Starkey at one point.

That's the only thing I remember about the set now. That and the beautiful skies we had that evening.

We sort of enjoyed it but were very much chilling out at the back, knackered.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

"Our sound and light experts felt it really worked, with one of the most fervent audiences we’ve ever had, and ZILLIONS of them going nuts, living the music as they sang and jumped and waved arms. Incredible response, so something had to be very right about all this.........Some serious magic did happen despite all the struggle."

Sure, but the band themselves felt differently at the time.

"Yet within a few songs, we knew something was wrong. The band were playing MORE than a little loose, rather sloppy in fact. Pete was growing angry right away, yelling at one point that the band ought to play “like we’re in the same f*ing band” and telling brother Simon to pay close attention to their sync together.... Pete mentioned to everyone that they’d hoped to be “better” musically, and mentioned the lack of a sound check.... Pete felt it was one of the very worst the band had ever played"

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Deffo in my friend group amongst my age. Guy is considered an absolutely legend.

Cool. I'm 29, the majority of my friendship group is 26-32 a lot of my friends are in bands, very few know of him or those who have don't listen.

I work in a college, 16-18 year olds, I have 180 students, no one has ever mentioned his name and we talk about music a lot.

I'm not using such statements as ' everyone in my age group hates him'. I think we all use our own lives as examples for the bigger picture. 

• Like 2

I live on my own with one cat. I asked her what she thought of Frank Ocean and she walked off to graze on some cat biscuits. A friend’s cat has never mentioned him either, so all the cats I know either don’t know him or don’t want to admit they do. Hardly a ringing endorsement. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I live on my own with one cat. I asked her what she thought of Frank Ocean and she walked off to graze on some cat biscuits. A friend’s cat has never mentioned him either, so all the cats I know either don’t know him or don’t want to admit they do. Hardly a ringing endorsement. 

Well if you can't win over that fanbase with all its raging passions, who can you win over?

I thought the Who was a great set. I was pretty sober as was getting up early. Townsend was very unhappy with the sound but commented on the vibe, he thought the crowd was great and commented it being much better than Hyde Park.

As for Frank Ocean, amongst a certain age and demographic he may be very big, but given the demographics of Glastonbury not big enough to headline Glastonbury, a lot of people would not know who he is despite how well respected he is in the rap/hip-hop community. 

49 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I do find it a bit mental that The Who still tour and headline given Townsends past, artists have been cancelled for far far less. 

My best bet is that the majority of the people that go to see them don't see a problem with him and cry at ' cancel culture ' 

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

I do find it a bit mental that The Who still tour and headline given Townsends past, artists have been cancelled for far far less. 

Townshend needs to release the book before he's ever allowed near the festival again 😬

The Who Sunday was a great day . Zombies>Belle & Sebastian>Weller>The Who.

I saw them when Entwhistle was alive and I thought they were better at the farm. I’ll never see them again , but more for Brexit Boy Daltry than Townsend - I think he was stupid but I don’t think he was getting off on nasty stuff. 

4 hours ago, chazwwe said:

My best bet is that the majority of the people that go to see them don't see a problem with him and cry at ' cancel culture ' 

Or more likely they've informed themselves and have come to the conclusion that while he was a complete fucking idiot, on several different levels, ultimately he's not a paedo and didn't have any ill intent. He's just deluded enough to think he (and only he) can save the world from evil.

2 hours ago, Wald said:

Townshend needs to release the book before he's ever allowed near the festival again 😬

What you're looking for is here - published after the event and before the arrest. Not a book exactly but it's plenty enough evidence that he was actually researching the subject. Though again I'll point out - in a completely idiotic way.

• Like 1