Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Elton's a slam dunk booking no matter which way anyone wants to try and spin it - one of the top 5 biggest artists of all time, from the UK, playing his final UK show? C'mon now.

AM is a horrendously boring pick but they'll pull a crowd obviously. GNR I honestly do not understand what they're thinking. Even the GNR fans I know tell me Axl's way past it and some of that recent footage is appalling. But hey, so was Diana Ross on TV. 

Anyway, if I look at the last 5 Glasto clashfinders, I'd only end the night on the pyramid less than half the time anyway it seems. Quite happy to have a ton of choice against the big boys. Prodigy and QOTSA already practically nailed on sounds great.

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm just hoping the Sam Smith Friday Other info is dud and it's in fact The Prodigy with Sam Smith subbing Arctics. He's not going to be below Guns but he could be opposite. I don't see him on Sunday.

Who are the current favourites for the Other? Is it Prodigy, Smith, QOTSA? If so that order would make sense.

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Really looking forward to Elton John and the added significance of it being his last UK gig probably outweighs the criticism of him being old/not relevant. I've always wanted to see him, and specifically at Glastonbury as the atmosphere should be great

Baffled by Arctic Monkeys' enduring popularity, but love the early stuff so might check them out if there's nobody I really like at the same time. Would have been happy with them not being on though.

Guns n Roses, do the general public really know more than a handful of songs?  Either way I know there's people saying the singing is poor live but is this maybe a Stone Roses type situation where the singing is awful but the music is really good? So anyone who likes classic guitary stuff will probably enjoy it. Personally I don't even like the songs I do know so will likely be elsewhere, though if there's a little bit of time to spare I'll check out the start or end out of curiosity as I'd never watch them otherwise 

The big 'uns! Not out of place at a wedding, are anthems and big enough for the pyramid imo.

Sweet child o mine

November rain

Welcome to the jungle

Live and let Die

Paradise city 

Don't Cry

Knocking on heavens door 

You could be mine

Patience

For the fans all of appetite for destruction is pure gold. Personally I'm waiting for civil war, night train and outta get me. Trust there will be a couple big covers on top of knocking and live and let die. Whole lotta Rosie has been getting played. Also Slither which isn't really a cover...

Can Axl pull it off? I'm scared he won't. But he has been dropping a few octaves recently so at least its bearable. 

Edited by Boilingtent
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

You’re right. I think when it comes to festival headliners, especially for one of the biggest in the world, progress isn’t always gonna be linear. There’ll be years where we’ll have Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift and other years where we’ll have Arctics and Coldplay. 

Agreed. What happens in a given year can still be an outlier of the general trend. They can only play the cards they're dealt, and they're never going to please everyone.

45 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m not hugely enthused about two of that three but objectively it’s a very big trio. You won’t see many bigger, certainly in the U.K. 

Reminds me a little of 2009. Objectively a huge set of headliners, but not particularly well balanced, leaning towards older artists past their best.

But as Michael said at the time, it's not like they can book whoever they want whenever they want. If Elton/Springsteen is willing to play that year, then that's when they play.  There's not exactly a huge pool of headline level acts who haven't recently played, are in a position to play and are willing to play in any given year.

Well played @roughbloke,  you certainly deserve an apology. A decent person would give you one.

For this forum, it's a stinker of a trio. And if you let this forum shape your perspective, then you will be thoroughly miserable.

For the majority of people, it will be ****ing great, as always, and I can't bloody wait. Reckon I'll get in at least 2 out of 3 headliners this year for the first time ever.

Edited by EamerRed
  • Upvote 2

3 huge headliners on paper albeit I do think someone else instead of GnR would have added balance (HS/Dua). 

I will definitely be there for AM/Elton and be keen to see who the alternatives are to GnR. If there is nothing else (unlikely I know), I’ll happily scream along to the big hits but do hope they don’t get a 3 hour set! Voice will be gone for I’m Dill Danding the Sunday evening. 

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I honestly think guns n roses will go down as the worst booking Glastonbury have made as a headliner , will be anywhere but the pyramid 

If they’re any worse than The Who then they’d have to be trying quite hard to fuck up. 

I think they’ll do great, but it won’t be an all time classic. 

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

If they’re any worse than The Who then they’d have to be trying quite hard to fuck up. 

The issue I have with them is I can’t believe for a second it will be treated like any other gig to them .

will be a paint by numbers guns n roses performance with axl sounding awful 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

all i ask for is a line-up worthy of a contemporary arts festival. my ticket will be going back, as will heaps of tickets.

LOL, nobody actually does this do they?

That said, if you’re returning your ticket due to a Pyramid headliner the logical conclusion is you spend your whole time at the Pyramid, so in reality you’ll be doing everyone a favour by putting it back in the pot, so it’s all good and the booking has done more than one person a favour.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

It wont be, I thnk that's very likely. But there's never any guarantee of what will be / wont be a classic.  Old rockers have (Macca, Stones) and haven't (the Boss, U2). New faces have (Adele, Stormzy) and haven't (Billie Eilish, Arcade Fire) .

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Reminds me a little of 2009. Objectively a huge set of headliners, but not particularly well balanced, leaning towards older artists past their best.

But as Michael said at the time, it's not like they can book whoever they want whenever they want. If Elton/Springsteen is willing to play that year, then that's when they play.  There's not exactly a huge pool of headline level acts who haven't recently played, are in a position to play and are willing to play in any given year.

Exactly. 100%. Same apples to Neil Young and GNR too. This may be their only chance to book them, ever. 

Because Glastonbury regularly punches above its weight in terms of who they get to play for the fees they pay, it gets forgotten that they’re constrained by reality.

It’s fun to imagine Emily picking from a chocolate box of available headliners and going ‘we’ll have those three next year, then those three the year after, and tell Taylor Swift and Rihanna to clear the decks for ‘25 because that’s their lucky year.’ But the boring mundanities like who is available and who is willing to do it are unavoidable.