Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m not hugely enthused about two of that three but objectively it’s a very big trio. You won’t see many bigger, certainly in the U.K. 

I'm just hoping the Sam Smith Friday Other info is dud and it's in fact The Prodigy with Sam Smith subbing Arctics. He's not going to be below Guns but he could be opposite. I don't see him on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

It’s a strong trio, whatever you think about the headliners. 

There’s way more to a strong trio than just getting three successful names together. It’s about diversity and representing different types of music. Of course people who absolutely love rock and rock only will like it. This trio will mean nothing to many attendees. Not a strong trio for a festival of contemporary performing arts.

It feels like Glasto chat booked this.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

It’s a strong trio, whatever you think about the headliners. 

Elton is strong.

AM is a 50/50. For me I think they're pretty overrated, but a lot of people my age in their 20s will love it.

Guns N Roses are washed up, chucking out shit performances as recently as last year (don't let me get the sweet child of mine video up). Say what you want about other legacy rock bands they've put on but at least they've had more cultural relevance and put on a good performance.

I'm just putting the GnR booking down to they literally couldn't get anyone else who were available and 'big' enough. I think that's evident from a lot of the festivals in Europe releasing their pretty lacklustre line ups. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There’s way more to a strong trio than just getting three successful names together. It’s about diversity and representing different types of music. Of course people who absolutely love rock and rock only will like it. This trio will mean nothing to many attendees. Not a strong trio for a festival of contemporary performing arts.

It feels like Glasto chat booked this.

Still upset about Taylor fobbing you off eh?

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

Elton is strong.

AM is a 50/50. For me I think they're pretty overrated, but a lot of people my age in their 20s will love it.

Guns N Roses are washed up, chucking out shit performances as recently as last year (don't let me get the sweet child of mine video up). Say what you want about other legacy rock bands they've put on but at least they've had more cultural relevance and put on a good performance.

I'm just putting the GnR booking down to they literally couldn't get anyone else who were available and 'big' enough. I think that's evident from a lot of the festivals in Europe releasing their pretty lacklustre line ups. 

Elton is massive obvs. 

AM is absolutely huge. Have no interest at all at seeing them on the Pyramid but the field will be packed. 

GNR comfortably the weakest of the three but still a massive booking imo. I get some people don’t like them but the way some have been reacting like it’s end times for the festival is laughable. I can only comment from when I saw them in 2018 and they were brilliant so hopefully we get more of the same. 

Just now, Superunknown said:

Elton is massive obvs. 

AM is absolutely huge. Have no interest at all at seeing them on the Pyramid but the field will be packed. 

GNR comfortably the weakest of the three but still a massive booking imo. I get some people don’t like them but the way some have been reacting like it’s end times for the festival is laughable. I can only comment from when I saw them in 2018 and they were brilliant so hopefully we get more of the same. 

Yeah just for the record Guns N Roses doesn't mean I think the festival is fucked or whatever. At the end of the day, you can only book what's available. Whilst I don't like em at all, if I was working at Glasto HQ and saw Guns N Roses available next year I'd think it'd be a good booking for the average goer. I'd like to think the festival were trying to find that leg-up headliner but nothing felt right.

Will be there for Elton. If it's the other two then I'll be elsewhere.

Lots of stages, festival is more than just the Pyramid etc.

But having said that and regardless of "size" it's a pretty backwards-looking trio. AM are still relevant regardless of what you think of them, but the other two are proper nostalgia acts.

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Elton is massive obvs. 

Who was the person who saw GnR in Australia recently in here and essentially live blogged it? Seemed to make out they were amazing live

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What I'm afraid of, ironically making Capaldi this year's Noel Gallagher.

That said, no need to stress about being in the pit for Axl and the lads.

Was just about to say you could use Capaldi time to grab a drink, go to the toilet or stick your fingers in your ears, all preferable to C Dog. 

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

But having said that and regardless of "size" it's a pretty backwards-looking trio. AM are still relevant regardless of what you think of them, but the other two are proper nostalgia acts.

Yeah, this is legitimate criticism. Quality is a bit of a subjective metric and they're all big enough. So where it does fall down is it being a bit stale and rockist.

Still, it'll shut up the Neil Lonsdales of the world who think that Glastonbury is just a rock festival.

3 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Also for what it's worth, have just put "Artics GnR Elton looks locked in" into our Glasto group chat

No one else in there is on the forums

Overall reaction is very positive 

Yep, my lot are absolutely buzzing about it

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah, this is legitimate criticism. Quality is a bit of a subjective metric and they're all big enough. So where it does fall down is it being a bit stale and rockist.

they're big enough but theyre also not impressive for the world's leading festival. Can get three big enough headliners at download, doesn't mean i want to pay to see them.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Still, it'll shut up the Neil Lonsdales of the world who think that Glastonbury is just a rock festival.

6 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Who was the person who saw GnR in Australia recently in here and essentially live blogged it? Seemed to make out they were amazing live

Oh yeah I forgot about that. 

To be clear I’ve seen the videos from last year (and had mates who went) who said Axl was poor so understand the skepticism but I think (and hope) they were just isolated incidents due to the illness he had around the same time. Totally get there not for everyone regardless but I think it’s a solid headliner which me and mates are pretty excited for. 

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Will be there for Elton. If it's the other two then I'll be elsewhere.

Lots of stages, festival is more than just the Pyramid etc.

You’re right. I think when it comes to festival headliners, especially for one of the biggest in the world, progress isn’t always gonna be linear. There’ll be years where we’ll have Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift and other years where we’ll have Arctics and Coldplay. 

Really looking forward to Elton John and the added significance of it being his last UK gig probably outweighs the criticism of him being old/not relevant. I've always wanted to see him, and specifically at Glastonbury as the atmosphere should be great

Baffled by Arctic Monkeys' enduring popularity, but love the early stuff so might check them out if there's nobody I really like at the same time. Would have been happy with them not being on though.

Guns n Roses, do the general public really know more than a handful of songs?  Either way I know there's people saying the singing is poor live but is this maybe a Stone Roses type situation where the singing is awful but the music is really good? So anyone who likes classic guitary stuff will probably enjoy it. Personally I don't even like the songs I do know so will likely be elsewhere, though if there's a little bit of time to spare I'll check out the start or end out of curiosity as I'd never watch them otherwise 

Edited by efcfanwirral