2024 Headliners

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe they will, but there'll come a point when they feel they don't have to. If they've got e.g. a The Weeknd, a Hazza Styles and a Taylor or a reformed Daft Punk on their books for 2027 they're not going to lose sleep over wishing they could find a spot for The 1975.

Taylor brings The Natty out for the Evermore stuff and we claim it as a win.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

I saw their 2011 set and if they fill that field with a similar overwhelmingly happy and positive vibe you’d have to work really hard not to have a great time. Thats what sticks in my head from that set, not any particular song but one of my favourite atmospheres ever at WF.

That's my sentiments. It's not the technically greatest headline set I've seen down the farm - though granted, I've only the six from 2016 and 2017 to choose from - but it is easily the greatest "this is the vibes" option of the bunch, by no small margin.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe they will, but there'll come a point when they feel they don't have to. If they've got e.g. a The Weeknd, a Hazza Styles and a Taylor or a reformed Daft Punk on their books for 2027 they're not going to lose sleep over wishing they could find a spot for The 1975

It would be great if we get to find out if this classic popbitch tale is true

"Choosing to hang up their masks in the middle of a pandemic is a bold choice, but we can't really see why Daft Punk have bothered to retire. Part of the reason they remained so committed to the whole robot bit was precisely so that the legendarily reclusive producers didn't have to turn up to the very few occasions they were ever required to attend.

Yes, keeping those masks on meant they had to forego the odd glass of champagne at fancy industry soirées (like Jay-Z's lavish Tidal launch) but that's hardly a sacrifice when you're also able – at any time – to dress up a couple of stand-ins in the trademark robot gear, pack them off to a European festival with a pre-programmed mix and then pocket the six-figure appearance fee without anyone being any the wiser.

Why retire from such a lucrative wheeze that they could have easily continued indefinitely? Who knows? Maybe they were human after all?"

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

IMG_4358.jpeg

Each one you post just gets worse. 

This one appears to have spunked its whole budget on Lana.

Are US fests that bad, or is the taste just diverging wildly from where we are? I'm seeing hardly any names that I recognise, but have no idea if that's just because they're known in the states but not over here.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Are US fests that bad, or is the taste just diverging wildly from where we are? I'm seeing hardly any names that I recognise, but have no idea if that's just because they're known in the states but not over here.

Nah they’re bad and that seems to be the general consensus elsewhere (Reddit, Twitter, Instagram) too. All bland as f**k with naff headliners and the worst kind of festival regular acts booked throughout. Interested to see if the Coachella lineup outside of the headliners can break the pattern. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I think there is a fair element to if tastes in the UK market are dropping, the US one's will dip further as they seem to be focused on certain genres generally. 

Even 11 year ago nearly when I went to Coachella, a lot of the rockier acta and British acta they barely knew of were not well attended, and they like your Father John Mistys way before they were a thing here.

But the Sahara was rammed later in tbe day where it was primarily djs. They did have Bingo Players, Fedde le Grand, Benni Benassi, Moby and Knife Party one day, with Mimosa, Paul Kalkebremer, Oakenfold, Hardwell, Excision and Prydz one day.

6 hours ago, Neville Street said:

It’s always interesting to see how the same thing is experienced differently by us all. I know that’s obvious from the discussions in here.

My memory of 2011 was that Coldplay were poor, they were preceded by the most amazing collective experience of Elbow in the fading sunshine (I think!), Guy downing pints, reverse Mexican waves, singalongs, etc., and then Coldplay blanded the evening to a disappointing conclusion. I’d walked away from U2 the night before due to the barracking from Bono (Brit Floyd were immense in Acoustic) and didn’t go to Beyoncé (Kool & The Gang on WH were great, but perhaps Beyoncé would have been a good one to have seen). Left that year thinking that the Pyramid headliners had been underwhelming.

After that, I almost had to be dragged to Coldplay in 2016 which was the polar opposite of 2011. Absolutely incredible moving engaging 2 hour party. We were a long way back, but the atmosphere was stunning.

Enjoyed 2016 so much I went to the current tour in Glasgow (feels like a decade ago, but was actually August 2022). Will be there again at WF if they are there this year.

It’s always interesting to see how experiences can vary. I mean, it’s a big field, there was probably 60k or so there, there’s going to plenty of different nights being had. I loved it though we were pretty near the front. When they played Charlie Brown, which hadn’t been released at that point, everyone around us just kept dancing even though nobody knew it 😆

I loved Elbow too. In fact was stood next to Coldplays Guitarist for most of that. After three days of rain that whole evening in the sun was an absolute joy. I went to LCD Soundsystem in 2016 (and I don’t regret it even though Coldplay looked even better than 2011) but will definitely be there this year 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe they will, but there'll come a point when they feel they don't have to. If they've got e.g. a The Weeknd, a Hazza Styles and a Taylor or a reformed Daft Punk on their books for 2027 they're not going to lose sleep over wishing they could find a spot for The 1975.

Harry Styles probably counts as guy with guitar in such a trio tbf.