2024 Headliners

On 8/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I mean, I kinda get what you mean, but at the same time there are a bunch of criteria to consider. The line-up isn't produced based on the feels and intution, especially the headliners. It's a dreamy idea, but obviously there is a science involved to some degree. Back-catalogue, legendary status, status internationally, status in the UK, how wide is their appeal etc etc.

It absolutely does not come down to whether Emily thinks they're a headliner or not. All of the last two dozen headliners are/were either international megastars or were at the very peak of their powers and no one else was around to invite. Case in point for the latter Mumford in Sons, who wouldn't headline again. 

Oh I’m not saying she would pick someone she hears in a pub in Bristol, she’ll take into account all the criteria and stats they can get their hands on (no doubt got access to a lot more data than us plebs too) but at some point intuition and instinct does come into it. Unless she’s the total opposite of her Dad anyway, which I doubt. Sometimes it’s just about being a good judge of something. 

3 hours ago, VCK said:

Fender is a lot bigger right now than Foals were at their commercial peak circa What Went Down.

Which is weird to me given I think the two Everything Not Saved... albums were better and they sold out a bigger tour off the back of it. But equally Fender looks to have just pushed on big time.

17 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Oh I’m not saying she would pick someone she hears in a pub in Bristol, she’ll take into account all the criteria and stats they can get their hands on (no doubt got access to a lot more data than us plebs too) but at some point intuition and instinct does come into it. Unless she’s the total opposite of her Dad anyway, which I doubt. Sometimes it’s just about being a good judge of something. 

Sure, there's an element of being in the right place at the right time. Stormzy, for example. He'd only had one studio album at the time but he'd come to the fore in popular opinion at that time and when he took to the stage he seemed to fit like a glove and put on a great show. Having said that, IF a massive act like ACDC said they were free, perhaps Stormzy would have had to make do with a sub himself... or wait it out to see if his stock continued to rise.

My point was more like, if there are bigger artists/bands on offer, it's no sleight on Pink, Dave, O-Rod, Fender to take a sub spot when other huge names have taken a sub or even third-down (Lizzo, LDR, LNX, Lorde, Katy Perry). I'm sure Fender wouldn't take that slot again for fear of being pigeon-holed in that position - like, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. O-Rod still has a long way to go before she's up for a possible headline slot, in my opinion anyway. Pink still feels too cult somehow, too leftfield, like I wouldn't expect them to ask Spice Girls to headline either. 

Dave is the most obvious "punt" for want of a better word, and he prob wouldn't not take a sub slot if it meant he'd miss out potentially headlining a year after if they couldn't give it to him this year. If that makes sense.

I think this year could be filled up with two female acts tho, Dua, Rhianna or Madonna, plus a Blur or Coldplay. Which would leave the door open for Dave headlining in 2025 alongside who ever misses out from Blur or Coldplay, and then finally Taylor Swift. I think that would give everyone a good mix while allowing acts like O-Rod and Fender time to stake their own claim further down the line.

2024 - Rhianna/Blur/Madonna

2025 - Dave/Coldplay/Taylor Swift

2026 - Fender/Dua Lipa/ACDC

And before anyone wants to start firing off shots - this is only a theoretical idea/prediction... 😛 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, there's an element of being in the right place at the right time. Stormzy, for example. He'd only had one studio album at the time but he'd come to the fore in popular opinion at that time and when he took to the stage he seemed to fit like a glove and put on a great show. Having said that, IF a massive act like ACDC said they were free, perhaps Stormzy would have had to make do with a sub himself... or wait it out to see if his stock continued to rise.

My point was more like, if there are bigger artists/bands on offer, it's no sleight on Pink, Dave, O-Rod, Fender to take a sub spot when other huge names have taken a sub or even third-down (Lizzo, LDR, LNX, Lorde, Katy Perry). I'm sure Fender wouldn't take that slot again for fear of being pigeon-holed in that position - like, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. O-Rod still has a long way to go before she's up for a possible headline slot, in my opinion anyway. Pink still feels too cult somehow, too leftfield, like I wouldn't expect them to ask Spice Girls to headline either. 

Dave is the most obvious "punt" for want of a better word, and he prob wouldn't not take a sub slot if it meant he'd miss out potentially headlining a year after if they couldn't give it to him this year. If that makes sense.

I think this year could be filled up with two female acts tho, Dua, Rhianna or Madonna, plus a Blur or Coldplay. Which would leave the door open for Dave headlining in 2025 alongside who ever misses out from Blur or Coldplay, and then finally Taylor Swift. I think that would give everyone a good mix while allowing acts like O-Rod and Fender time to stake their own claim further down the line.

And before anyone wants to start firing off shots - this is only a theoretical idea/prediction... 😛 

You can take DC out of the picture. They will not be active in 2026

On 8/27/2023 at 2:53 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah I’m with you. It just goes back to my original point which is, in brief, that it’s an art more than a science. We can analyse it and crunch the numbers all we want (and it’s fun to, it’s what we do on here) and it may not look to some that, say, Dave is a headliner but sometimes there’s more to it than metrics. 

Reckon you’ve got a lot of that prediction right, but not sure about Blur and really not sure about AC/DC as much as I’d love both to happen.

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

I don't think it'll be Madonna. I think currently in her career, she's needed it the most of any point but her ego just won't take it. She polishes her upcoming tour and a tour of Wembley or something will fly.

Me neither. The money won’t be anywhere near enough and I’m not sure there’s been anything linking her to it beyond Emily wanting more female headliners.

9 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Me neither. The money won’t be anywhere near enough and I’m not sure there’s been anything linking her to it beyond Emily wanting more female headliners.

Me as well. I don’t know anything about her live shows.. but I just assume she would want everything scripted, predictable and safe and she’s not the kind of performer to play a festival at this stage of her career.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

The only other extremely tenuous link would be when Emily started following Madonna on Social Media. And if I remember right possibly unfollowed and then later followed again. Think that's been mentioned over the past 5 or so years.

Which loosely implies that there's at least some level of interest at some point. But we could safely assume there'd be interest regardless of social media bollocks.

15 minutes ago, iistroudley said:

The 1975 are doing a tour next year and then taking a bit of a break, reckon they’ve got a chance of playing as bit of a farewell for now? Even if it’s not headlining the Pyramid but maybe the Other?

Subbing the Pointy One. Have they done that before?

1 hour ago, iistroudley said:

The 1975 are doing a tour next year and then taking a bit of a break, reckon they’ve got a chance of playing as bit of a farewell for now? Even if it’s not headlining the Pyramid but maybe the Other?

They are taking a break from feb, so very unlikely they will wait 4 months just for one show. they aren't close with the fest either so i'd say unlikely

45 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Subbing the Pointy One. Have they done that before?

ego too big i think

The S*n were reporting 1975 as having signed up for 2024 back in March. Awful paper, but sometimes they do get the scoops. I think they'd be more likely than Coldplay next year, personally. Reckon we'll be seeing Chris and The Boys in 2025 along with Taylor.

2024:  Dua Lipa / Madonna / The 1975
2025:  Dave / Taylor Swift / Coldplay

3 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

And like them or loathe them (and I know plenty of people around these parts fall into the latter camp), they'd be right to view themselves as too big for that slot. 

Yeah to be honest they sell that many tickets that they don't actually need Glastonbury. They might want it and to do it but I don't see them taking less than headlining at this stage. 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

The S*n were reporting 1975 as having signed up for 2024 back in March. Awful paper, but sometimes they do get the scoops. I think they'd be more likely than Coldplay next year, personally. Reckon we'll be seeing Chris and The Boys in 2025 along with Taylor.

2024:  Dua Lipa / Madonna / The 1975
2025:  Dave / Taylor Swift / Coldplay

I think Coldplay would be silly in 2025. To tour Wembley, to then tour into a 3rd year with another new album but wait until the 4th year to fo Glastonbury at the time as a stadium tour again would be missing a trick from the festival. Not only do you have, Coldplay again!, but you have why Coldplay?...people can see them at Wembley again.

I think Dave, Swift and Fender for 2025 is more likely myself.