Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

How much we talking for those Manchester dates roughly? Promised my mum I’d take her if they toured again and alas, they’ve only gone and bloody announced dates a couple of days later so no backing out now.

Always lots on Twiklets for Stadium gigs close to the date. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

anyone who's keen to see them will have taken up one of the many opportunities there's been to see them over the years.

They haven't been around for 14 years or so, millions of people will never have had the chance. Did you not see that LG sold out 2 nights at knebworth and the crowds were filled with young people

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

A fair question would be which version of Oasis:

Definitely Maybe: Noel, Liam, Bonehead, Guigsy, McCarroll

Morning Glory/Be Here Now: Noel, Liam, Bonehead, Guigsy, Alan White

SOTSOG onwards: Noel, Liam, Gem, Andy Bell, whichever drummer they can find

(Seriously I've lost track of how many people I've seen drum for Oasis)

McCarroll - burnt bridges with the whole suing thing.

Bonehead - currently being treated for cancer but does tour with Liam

Guigsy - vanished from public life.

Alan White - same as Guigsy although he does have an active Instagram.

My opinion is that it will never happen as NG is very stubborn about not reforming and LG insults his family on social media which NG said was a step too far.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not sure I quite agree, Oasis split up 13 years ago, there is a new generation of people who love their music, I went to Liam Gallagher at Knebworth recently and there were lot of people who are a lot younger who perhaps grew up listening to their music but were too young to go and see them live.

I work with a few lads in their 20s. An Oasis reunion is the absolute dream to them.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

They haven't been around for 14 years or so, millions of people will never have had the chance. Did you not see that LG sold out 2 nights at knebworth and the crowds were filled with young people

So there might be some young people but will also be the  old and bald who will go multiple nights. 

4 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I don't know why as they were bang average live. Crowds were full of dickheads back then.

Yeah but they don’t know that. I really enjoyed seeing them mid-90s when I was a teenager but the crowd at Lancashire Cricket in 2002 (I was 25 by then) was one of the worst I’ve ever experienced.

No hate from me. I dont mind them, would be happy to see them. I just think a lot of their new stuff is a self indulgent and meh! Tends to happen when a band becomes mega famous rich. They no longer live in the real world so their content reflects that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah but they don’t know that. I really enjoyed seeing them mid-90s when I was a teenager but the crowd at Lancashire Cricket in 2002 (I was 25 by then) was one of the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Oh it would be awful from a crowd perspective if/when they reform.

The sheer number of dickheads likely to be there would massively put me off going.

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Didn't his mother die just as Coldplay were breaking out?

Sure I read that or saw it on a documentary about the band....

Yes, Sara - she used to help out around the department as well and I had a few conversations with her over the years while there - lovely, friendly woman.

I was wondering what is bothering me most with Coldplay and a French expression came to my mind: Cucul la praline. Which translates to those various adjectives, as I couldn't find one perfect translation: corny, naive,  cheesy, inane. But not in a "you dumbass"  way, more in a, let's face it, slightly condescending way.

If Oasis reformed, it would easily be the biggest thing to happen to music in Britain that year, and they could certainly sell out almost an unlimited number of stadium nights here in the UK.

But how many in South America, the USA, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe? Are we saying they could outsell Coldplay internationally? 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

If Oasis reformed, it would easily be the biggest thing to happen to music in Britain that year, and they could certainly sell out almost an unlimited number of stadium nights here in the UK.

But how many in South America, the USA, Australia, Asia and the rest of Europe? Are we saying they could outsell Coldplay internationally? 

Why do people bang on about the international markets as if they matter? We’re talking about how many tickets bands shift in this country. Who cares how many tickets they shift in Asia?

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Why do people bang on about the international markets as if they matter? We’re talking about how many tickets bands shift in this country. Who cares how many tickets they shift in Asia?

I guess it’s because Glastonbury is a festival on the world stage - aside from Stormzy the majority of Glastonbury’s headliners in recent years headline festivals anywhere on the globe. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I guess it’s because Glastonbury is a festival on the world stage - aside from Stormzy the majority of Glastonbury’s headliners in recent years headline festivals anywhere on the globe. 

I doubt though that when the Eavii are weighing up potential headliners the number of tickets they shift in Brazil is massively high up the considerations list.