The 1975

NorthernSoul52

15 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

If they were to headline Glastonbury with the same energy as in the MSG stream, they'd kill it. 

Honestly agree. Cut a few songs from the album set. Add in another single or two for the later set instead. Much more energy than Arctics will bring.

10 hours ago, Zacko said:

I don't have any info ruling them out or in tbf! Just seems to be the general consensus, especially with AM seeming very likely for the Friday.

The last festival I was at Lee kids and pandemic had The 1975 headlining so I’m ambivalent even though I’d go see them if they played. To be honest I’d prefer to see them over the current version of AM.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:41 PM, jannybruck said:

Truly fantastic set, super confident and brilliant set design too.

For someone that has recently just got into 1975, this gig is absolutely brilliant. It has everything about it to go down a storm headlining any festival. They also have enough big tunes to nail it. 

Even if AM are a stick on to headline one of the nights on pyramid (looks likely), I really hope 1975 get the shout for one of the other nights. 

Having said this, I really don’t think the festival will opt for 2 bands of a similar genre to headline. I also doubt 1975 would take an Other Stage headline spot… who knows! 

I know Matty is a wind up merchant and all that, but still at banquet he said we will see them at uk festival!!!s!!! - with latitude announcing their headliners, R&L done last year, announced for TRNSMT, would big weekend count as a festival? I really wouldn’t write Glasto off yet, remember when Matty was doing promo for BIIOR, there was a big glasto chat and can imagine it’s been in the pipeline for a while!

1 hour ago, Supreme2 said:

I know Matty is a wind up merchant and all that, but still at banquet he said we will see them at uk festival!!!s!!! - with latitude announcing their headliners, R&L done last year, announced for TRNSMT, would big weekend count as a festival? I really wouldn’t write Glasto off yet, remember when Matty was doing promo for BIIOR, there was a big glasto chat and can imagine it’s been in the pipeline for a while!

more likely to be APE

54 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

more likely to be APE

Before lockdown they had a finsbury park one off gig (like Fender last year) set up for summer 2020 with support from their label acts, along with Charli XCX and maybe even Phoebe Bridgers. Could see that coming back.

Edited by Padjeq

• 1 month later...

I’m totally unaware of the 1975’s back catalogue or influence - somehow they’ve totally passed me by. What hasn’t passed me by this week, is a video of the nearly 40-year-old lead singer checking a fan’s ID to make sure they’re over 15 so he can kiss them. Pretty creepy imo. Discuss… 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I’m totally unaware of the 1975’s back catalogue or influence - somehow they’ve totally passed me by. What hasn’t passed me by this week, is a video of the nearly 40-year-old lead singer checking a fan’s ID to make sure they’re over 15 so he can kiss them. Pretty creepy imo. Discuss… 

Since when is 33 nearly 40? 🤔 

That’s not quite the lay of the land…

At some of the shows people were holding signs up to be kissed by him, to which he’d do just that. Of course they check ID, they’d be silly not to, and I believe they’ve been looking to see that they are 21+. Absolutely not 16, since in one of the videos he says “you’d better not be 16” while checking it. 

Of course, whether kissing fans is “right” or not is a different matter. But looking at the videos, it’s hard to argue that there isn’t consent between two adults for a short kiss there. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

8 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Since when is 33 nearly 40? 🤔 

Sorry, parroting what someone I know said. Still significantly older than those fans. Almost as old as me (35). 

7 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

That’s not quite the lay of the land…

At some of the shows people were holding signs up to be kissed by him, to which he’d do just that. Of course they check ID, they’d be silly not to, and I believe they’ve been looking to see that they are 21+. Absolutely not 16, since in one of the videos he says “you’d better not be 16” while checking it. 

Of course, whether kissing fans is “right” or not is a different matter. But looking at the videos, it’s hard to argue that there isn’t consent between two adults for a short kiss there. 

Thanks for the context. Still ticks the creepy af box for me. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I'm not a fan but when are this lot showing up on the farm? It's coming on a decade now when they've been the biggest thing in British alternative music for a decade.

2024 surely if they drop something?

I've said it so many times but they were booked to headline 2021 way back then. Covid ruined that and momentum but it's built up again, i've never know arena shows with this ticket demand. Literally nothing on twickets and hardly any have been listed for any dates across the last few weeks.