The 1975

NorthernSoul52

34 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

Any chance now they would accept other stage or still wait out for the pyramid call?

Knowing Matty, I think they’ll do the JP secret slot and keep the rest of their weekend free incase a headliner drops out.

Accepting the Other stage would be the kiss of death for their future as a headliner.

Edited by Punisher
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Punisher said:

Knowing Matty, I think they’ll do the JP secret slot and keep the rest of their weekend free incase a headliner drops out.

Accepting the Other stage would be the kiss of death for their future as a headliner.

Going to the gorilla show tonight so will try and shout glasto and see what he says 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Getting a bit silly that one of the UK’s biggest current bands haven’t played the UK’s biggest festival in seven years. Something has to give … 

But they almost certainly would’ve had the pandemic not happened, so it’s just unfortunate timing on their part. They seem like an obvious candidate for a secret set this year though, and who knows if the festival will still want to give them a shot after that. 

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Getting a bit silly that one of the UK’s biggest current bands haven’t played the UK’s biggest festival in seven years. Something has to give … 

I do think the reason they haven’t is because they’re holding out for the Pyramid headliner slot. And some unfortunate timing that they can’t do anything about.

It is pretty shocking they didn’t play in 2019 during ABIIOR’s successful tour.

Edited by Punisher

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But they almost certainly would’ve had the pandemic not happened, so it’s just unfortunate timing on their part. They seem like an obvious candidate for a secret set this year though, and who knows if the festival will still want to give them a shot after that. 

Bands who have done secret sets have gone on to headline a year or so after, The Killers for example. So there’s still a chance.

The main problem with them is competition and who else is touring at the time. They’d be more likely to headline this year if AM, a bigger UK rock band, weren’t knocking about.

3 minutes ago, Punisher said:

Bands who have done secret sets have gone on to headline a year or so after, The Killers for example. So there’s still a chance.

The main problem with them is competition and who else is touring at the time. They’d be more likely to headline this year if AM, a bigger UK rock band, weren’t knocking about.

Yup, if the festival is struggling one year then I could see them getting the call, but it could also be the case that they’ve simply just missed the boat and will eventually have to accept Pyramid sub or OS headliner (or just never play again). 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

The idea they are headlining a 80k festival is the nail in the coffin is completely ridiculous.

Yep . I really thought the enormous sold out arena tour they just finished would’ve put the talk about their popularity waning to bed for a bit, but apparently not 😂 if they headline Reading for a third time before they do the Pyramid I swear to god 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yeah they’re well overdue a return. I’ll be shocked if they’re not there this year especially considering the GSH in their tour dates 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup, if the festival is struggling one year then I could see them getting the call, but it could also be the case that they’ve simply just missed the boat and will eventually have to accept Pyramid sub or OS headliner (or just never play again). 

I don’t see how they can have “missed the boat” though. They’ve just played an arena tour that sold out instantly and they’re probably bigger right now than they ever have been 

7 minutes ago, CJB said:

I don’t see how they can have “missed the boat” though. They’ve just played an arena tour that sold out instantly and they’re probably bigger right now than they ever have been 

when Notes flopped* everyone - probably reasonably - thought “uh oh”, but the boys seemingly haven’t missed a beat since the pandemic. They’re even selling out big arenas in America now which IIRC they weren’t doing previously. 

*flopped relatively speaking compared to their other stuff, obviously it still got to number one and spawned their highest charting single

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, Punisher said:

I do think the reason they haven’t is because they’re holding out for the Pyramid headliner slot. And some unfortunate timing that they can’t do anything about.

It is pretty shocking they didn’t play in 2019 during ABIIOR’s successful tour.

They were definitely offered to headline the Pyramid for 2021 before the pandemic struck. My Uncle (who is as close to the Healey family as it's possible to be without being blood) casually dropped it into conversation at a family get together Christmas 2019 as he asked if I was going again in 2020, and said that "his friends son's band, who are doing quite well for themselves, have been offered to headline in 2021. Do you know The 1975?" He has no idea about the whole circus around keeping headliners secret and wouldn't have known how confidential the info he was casually passing on to me was. 

So, I can't imagine that offer has gone away in theory, but they have just been waiting on the right time and the stars aligning for it to happen. Having said that, I would say that the moment is now given the success of this album and Tour. If AM hadn't been so nailed on for so many months then I would be saying they were almost certainly one of the headliners. 

12 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

They were definitely offered to headline the Pyramid for 2021 before the pandemic struck. My Uncle (who is as close to the Healey family as it's possible to be without being blood) casually dropped it into conversation at a family get together Christmas 2019 as he asked if I was going again in 2020, and said that "his friends son's band, who are doing quite well for themselves, have been offered to headline in 2021. Do you know The 1975?" He has no idea about the whole circus around keeping headliners secret and wouldn't have known how confidential the info he was casually passing on to me was. 

So, I can't imagine that offer has gone away in theory, but they have just been waiting on the right time and the stars aligning for it to happen. Having said that, I would say that the moment is now given the success of this album and Tour. If AM hadn't been so nailed on for so many months then I would be saying they were almost certainly one of the headliners. 

If that is true why have they booked GnR? 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

To be honest - though it is far from a death knell - the news they are topping Parklife is probably the nail in the coffin for Pyramid Stage. That's painful.

Stormzy headlined Snowbombing the same year he headlined Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, NoBuses said:

They are probably the most talked about band in the world right now haha, headlining massive arenas which is more than Foals ever did

When you’re doing Nazi salutes on stage you’re bound to get talked about. The reality is they haven’t yet headlined the Pyramid and there is still no sign of them doing so, there has to be a reason for that. 

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

AM and 1975 in the same year would be a bit much. A better question is why they’ve booked AM when nobody cares about anything they’ve released since last time they did it 

AM are definitely less mainstream now but you can’t deny their popularity. They sold out a UK stadium tour and The Car was the second best-selling album of 2022 in the UK after Taylor Swift. Their first week sales tripled The 1975’s with barely any promotion.

They also have the legacy benefit, so their fanbase is more varied.

Edited by Punisher
  • Upvote 1