Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Three songs in the top twenty on yesterday's single chart first look flash. (Granted, Taylor Swift has the top three spots in their entirety.)

Feel it is a bit of a shame The Car is both going to be dwarfed in the immediate commercial market by Midnights - finally conceding it is likely over as a chart battle - and that it'll take a hit in stadiums next year. But we'll see.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:49 PM, Matt42 said:

Said this separately but the marketing team/label behind AM have dropped the ball big time on this. They should have moved. Yes people can listen to two different albums but they’ve allowed themselves to be completely eclipsed by another gigantic album.

Taylor moved the red remake not to compete with Adele. It happens. 

(And before anyone says anything I’m not talking about the band. I know the band don’t care. I’m talking about the marketing team/label behind the band whose literal job is to ensure the album gets promoted properly and gets a #1 position). They are likely going to break their #1 streak. If they moved the album to next week they’d have been fine.

I think if they really cared about chart position and sales they would have made a more digestible record for the masses. At this point in their career I think they are making music for themselves and if that is the case sharing a release date with TayTay isn't really an issue. Maybe they do have such a sway with their label where they could convince them just the release it when they want or maybe the label thought there wouldn't be much cross over between fans.

14 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Got this playing in the background while I crack on with some work stuff. Sounds really good and the cinematography looks good every time I glance over. Will have a proper watch this evening I reckon.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

weird take on Radiohead there whoever wrote that article for the beeb, on the AMSP tour they played loads of 'hits' especially at the glastonbury 2017 set

At Rock Werchter we got 7 OK Computer tracks and only 2 AMSP ones.

Radiohead always shape up things a lot every set.

Also I miss them. 

Sorry but I find the new stuff to be very bland. I respect that they're far from the band that wrote Whatever People Say I Am..., but Humbug and Suck It And See were both brilliant albums that marked a change in their sound. I've tried to like this stuff but it just doesn't excite me. To each their own though. I found AM to be overrated too. They're becoming a bit like Radiohead, where whatever they release will be guaranteed critical adulation, no matter what.

Edited by VCK

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Sorry but I find the new stuff to be very bland. I respect that they're far from the band that wrote Whatever People Say I Am..., but Humbug and Suck It And See were both brilliant albums that marked a change in their sound. I've tried to like this stuff but it just doesn't excite me. To each their own though. I found AM to be overrated too. They're becoming a bit like Radiohead, where whatever they release will be guaranteed critical adulation, no matter what.

despite me liking it, King of Limbs wants a word

9 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Feel it is a bit of a shame The Car is both going to be dwarfed in the immediate commercial market by Midnights - finally conceding it is likely over as a chart battle - and that it'll take a hit in stadiums next year. But we'll see.

I suggested it was like the time James Bond's Tomorrow Never Dies in 1997 came out in cinemas in the same week as Titanic - any other time of year, a guaranteed no. 1, but on that week, not a chance.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Midweek charts are in and it’s 105k to Taylor’s 140k unfortunately. Extremely strong showing, I’m surprised Domino wouldn’t want the no1 from a marketing perspective unless they thought they’d be safe. 

1 Taylor Swift - Midnights (140,590) [114,429 physicals, 5,857 downloads, 20,304 streaming]
2 Arctic Monkeys - The Car (104,874) [97,888 physicals, 2,155 downloads, 4,831 streaming]

• Upvote 1