LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

29 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Someone on the other site had 'info' that Busted were opening Pyramid on one of the days, I think. But I'm not sure how credible that info was. 

Not that it would interest me especially, but I really like the idea of bigger bands in unexpected slots (noting The Churnups, obviously), and opening a stage could be, for some bands, really exciting, I think. There seems to be, understandably, I accept, a real thing for acts with being given a 'big enough slot'. I get that. But, glancing at the Coachella line up yesterday, I was struck how there really doesn't seem to be nearly as strict a linear hierarchy of prestige from opener to headliner as seems to be mandatory in the U.K.  

Either that or I'm so out of touch with 'normal' music that my knowledge of who might be bigger than whom is way off. Which is entirely possible/likely!

Ben

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Either that or I'm so out of touch with 'normal' music that my knowledge of who might be bigger than whom is way off. Which is entirely possible/likely!

Could also be just that the USA is now a very different music market to the UK, probably moreso than it has been in the past. So some of the acts they put on seem to be placed comically high to our eyes.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Predicting S Club as the Avalon throwback pop act this year.

Based on nothing other than them being about.

I think even S Club would be too big, they're playing arenas at the moment.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

They could just insert an old shape and then change it slightly in one of the updates … I guess it depends on what’s going on with that whole area and if it gets bigger etc 

definitely

---

S Club would be rammo unless sub/headlienr time

Personally I hope Avalon now stays away from the novelty pop acts. It looks like they are now being given slots on bigger stages and pulling huge crowds in many cases. Leave Avalon to be one of the few places with folk/rock/punk stuff on. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, gfa said:

definitely

---

S Club would be rammo unless sub/headlienr time

Who will be the first to suggest that this year's headliner/subs line-up might not be enough to prevent an S-Club Sandwich on Avalon?

Not me, guv'nor.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Who will be the first to suggest that this year's headliner/subs line-up might not be enough to prevent an S-Club Sandwich on Avalon?

Not me, guv'nor.

Ben

I'd love an S Club sandwich 

On 4/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, stuie said:

No - it is independent:

Pennard Hill Farm, eighty acres of rural Somerset tranquility, is home to husband and wife team Pippa and Tom Godber-Ford Moore, and Pippa’s father David, who moved to the farm from Suffolk in 2009.

https://www.pennardhillfarm.co.uk/about/

Stayed at the Safari tent off season a few years back. great place to stay and see the festival site.

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Personally I hope Avalon now stays away from the novelty pop acts. It looks like they are now being given slots on bigger stages and pulling huge crowds in many cases. Leave Avalon to be one of the few places with folk/rock/punk stuff on. 

Well we've just had the rumour that the evil Lulu is playing there so you're out of luck.

20 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Who tf would want to watch that?

thousands of people, as will be evidenced on the day. 

Avalon is a ridiculous stage for her. 

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Leave Avalon to be one of the few places with folk/rock/punk stuff on. 

hasn't punk icon Will Young played Avalon more than anyone else? 😉

(well, after Hobo Jones i guess)

3 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

Yeah. But now it seems these acts are getting other stages to play on. Long may it continue!

22 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

TBF he delivered the most scathing anti-Tory speech I saw all weekend so he's alright with me!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She played it 5 or 6 years back to very little fanfare.

I think there has been a massive shift that older/novelty (I know someone is going to disagree with this categorisation) have become far more popular over the years probably with a slight shift in the demographic of people going as so many people want the one off Glastonbury experience, so I do think it will be rammed, I thankfully will be nowhere near 

The big Avalon question is who is getting the Hobo slot?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doonicans back it they want to stick with the comedy music act to get things going.

I think the popularity of heritage acts really varies over time due to a whole load of variables. Pop culture trends - a nostalgia inducing TV show for example, people's perceptions of whether they will get another chance, whether that act has been sampled in another song. So I don't think it's that mad that acts might oscillate wildly between stages over time.