LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Bastards. I've had to buy another new A4 jotter just to keep the list of Keane apologists up-to-date.

Now now, ya mardy bugger! I'll admit not to having listened to any of theirs beyond album 2 (which was 'ok'), but that debut is a banger! Come at me. 

Ben

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't give a fiddlers about edginess. It's not a real criterion.

I wouldn't put booking King Krule in the same category of the likes of Declan McKenna, Two door cinema club or Keane though. He hasn't played the festival for over 10 years and in that time released all his best stuff.

Just now, Alex DeLarge said:

There's a bunch of artists I love like Mount Kimbie and Alvvays that I've never seen live. I wouldn't say they're exciting bookings but I'm glad they're there. 

I'm excited about Alvvays! My No.1 must see at present. Three great albums and they were fab last time in Woodsies. Will be good to see them again in a longer, higher up slot. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

There's a bunch of artists I love like Mount Kimbie and Alvvays that I've never seen live. I wouldn't say they're exciting bookings but I'm glad they're there. 

Mount Kimbie is a great booking, Park will be going off 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't know much about them other than that they are genuinely very popular - but aren't D Block Europe a bit entry level?

I'd argue it's an edgy booking for Glasto because there's very little concession to crossover appeal. It's probably as street as has ever been given a prominent slot on the farm.

Subject matter wise, doesn't stray too far from the standard rap topics and they're not particularly sharp lyrically, but generally quite a raw and unfiltered take on it. In terms of style they are the leading act making UK trap which is a distinct sound from more dominant styles such as grime and drill and more comparable to the Atlanta scene.

My Keane story is that the guitarist Dominic went to college with my wife (well, think he was doing engineering or something, but he was in Trinity Singers with her). Eventually he got fed up going back and forth between Ireland and England to rehearse. Felt the band weren’t going anywhere, so he quit. They wrote Everybody’s Changing about the whole episode and well, sure the rest is history!

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

My Keane story is that the guitarist Dominic went to college with my wife (well, think he was doing engineering or something, but he was in Trinity Singers with her). Eventually he got fed up going back and forth between Ireland and England to rehearse. Felt the band weren’t going anywhere, so he quit. They wrote Everybody’s Changing about the whole episode and well, sure the rest is history!

Guitarist?

4 hours ago, pablowoods said:

You've got prodigy, massive attack, air, grace Jones, echo and the bunnymen all playing round this time... mad to not have any of them on board. Maybe too 'dangerous' for a line up that seems to be aimed at 12 year olds and whimsical picnic blanket crowd

Clearly your definition of edgy is to put it politely open to interpretation - surely it should include something more contemporary?

Otherwise Prodigy and Air don't really have a GSH, plus the latter is clearly a complicated show to stage, Massive Attack are doing their own thing and isn't Grace Jones usually a bit tricky to get signed up? 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I’d heard a similar apocryphal story to this, that they’d had a guitarist and a more generic indie sound to start with. Only when he left and they put the piano/keys front and centre did they gain any traction in the industry and then got the record deal.