LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

I find the whole anticipation of announcements no matter how big or small, significant or insignificant still exciting and as good as it ever was, whether  it’s a site change or a self confirm or a poster drop. This year has been  no different imo, lots in the line up I like, lots I don’t like. And the clashes will be the problem as usual! 
reckon the Avalon or acoustic posters will be next to drop. 

17 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Me and my mates are all v happy with the lineup this year (a lot more names for us than on the 1st poster last year), but still feel a bit flat on it generally.  
Hopefully once the sun comes out it will seem like more of a reality - In exactly 3 months, most of us will be enjoying our first wander around! 🤩 

I missed last year and as I normally do after missing one, I feel a fair bit more excited than when I've been several years consecutively.

I'm still a bit disappointed with the lineup but simultaneously excited for my in laws who have never been before. In my experience my excitement will just grow from here on in.

Edited by gherkin8r

6 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I missed last year and as I normally do after missing one, I feel a fair bit more excited than when I've been several years consecutively.

I'm still a bit disappointed with the lineup but simultaneously excited for my in laws who have never been before. In my experience my excitement will just grow from here on in.

IMO giving first timers a tour is one of the best activities you can do at Glastonbury! Some of the reactions I've seen come as close to someone literally having their jaw on the floor as I think you get in life! 

6 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

IMO giving first timers a tour is one of the best activities you can do at Glastonbury! Some of the reactions I've seen come as close to someone literally having their jaw on the floor as I think you get in life! 

A fine line between being helpful and being a know-it-all pain in the hole though. 

Those "DONT TURN AROUND" types you see on Wedneday up in the Park for example. Must be a nightmare spending 5 days with someone like that. 

• Like 1

My two-penneth is that this is a combo of things.  Festival is under financial pressure, which shows in a degree of cutting back.  Most of us regular posters on here have been going for years so are maybe slightly jaded, with familiarity breeding contempt.  We need bigger highs every year to get excited and aren't going to get them.  There's nothing objectively wrong with the line up.  There's nothing wrong with any of the rumoured changes.  It's our expectations, fuelled by memories and nostalgia, that have misled us.

That said, if Arcadia get the new installation working and it's f**king great, the SE Corner has some updates and Genosys returns, we'll all love it and be raving about it afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

My two-penneth is that this is a combo of things.  Festival is under financial pressure, which shows in a degree of cutting back.  Most of us regular posters on here have been going for years so are maybe slightly jaded, with familiarity breeding contempt.  We need bigger highs every year to get excited and aren't going to get them.  There's nothing objectively wrong with the line up.  There's nothing wrong with any of the rumoured changes.  It's our expectations, fuelled by memories and nostalgia, that have misled us.

That said, if Arcadia get the new installation working and it's f**king great, the SE Corner has some updates and Genosys returns, we'll all love it and be raving about it afterwards.

If the Silver Hayes line up is as good as last year, honestly couldn’t give two f**ks about the rest of the line up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Open your mind to explore the sonic wonders of Paloma Faith and the Gossip.

Actually really enjoying Gossip's new album and there's one track on the Paloma Faith one I think is a bit of a banger as well. 🤩 Nobody can make me think Glastonbury will be anything less than brilliant as always!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think the main thing is accepting the fiscal environment that the festival is operating in and adjusting your expectations accordingly. I think to get the kind of line up's that people seem to want you'd be looking at £500+ per ticket. I'd be interested to know those that are so disappointed would you be willing to pay that much more to get the names on the line up's that you want???

I've been twice (2016 and 2019) and me and my group, none have been more than twice, and we're all hugely excited and feel privileged to be going. This was increased by the first poster drop and am looking forward to the area announcements and the map etc. The magic of anywhere/thing is bound to drop if you experience it on a regular basis, the odd change will only delay it getting fully boring but it will never be as good as the first 1 or 2 times you experienced it. 

For every 10 people on here that's been multiple times and are feeling a little underwhelmed there's 10 people who've either never been or only been once or twice that are hugely excited. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Pretty sure I've been to the festival more than all those that have thus far contributed to this thread and I don't share the sentiment about the line up, already plenty I'd like to see and that list will massively fill out. 

As ever there were some acts hoped for which  have played before and would have delighted others, but I'd have just shrugged at, so I don't pine for them. 

I come from the olden days when there were two stages for and many of the acts on the second one were not well known.  Also there were often some acts on the Pyramid who had played before.  

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Normally she's outside my bedroom window with a loudhailer hyping me up about Elbow.

Maybe she wouldn't need the loudhailer if you'd throw those curtains wide? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

I've been twice (2016 and 2019) and me and my group, none have been more than twice, and we're all hugely excited and feel privileged to be going. This was increased by the first poster drop and am looking forward to the area announcements and the map etc. The magic of anywhere/thing is bound to drop if you experience it on a regular basis, the odd change will only delay it getting fully boring but it will never be as good as the first 1 or 2 times you experienced it. 

For every 10 people on here that's been multiple times and are feeling a little underwhelmed there's 10 people who've either never been or only been once or twice that are hugely excited. 

Been 8 times. Am 55. I love your excitement. I feel it too and absolutely love helping my sons' friends get tickets to Glastonbury (in their 20s) they have a massive contingent going this year. They are ridiculously excited to be going. So am I. Bloody love that place. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Been 8 times. Am 55. I love your excitement. I feel it too and absolutely love helping my sons' friends get tickets to Glastonbury (in their 20s) they have a massive contingent going this year. They are ridiculously excited to be going. So am I. Bloody love that place. 

Good to hear about the excitement levels for some experienced glasto goers and relative newbies. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Been 8 times. Am 55. I love your excitement. 

I'm in double figures and 53.  Unlike some I am absolutely fine with the lineup and really looking forward to another year on the farm. I've got a headliner I'm really keen to see every night and a fair mix of stuff that hopefully doesn't get too mashed up with clashes across the undercard.

Just need the weather gods to align and all will be good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Pretty sure I've been to the festival more than all those that have thus far contributed to this thread and I don't share the sentiment about the line up, already plenty I'd like to see and that list will massively fill out. 

As ever there were some acts hoped for which  have played before and would have delighted others, but I'd have just shrugged at, so I don't pine for them. 

I come from the olden days when there were two stages for and many of the acts on the second one were not well known.  Also there were often some acts on the Pyramid who had played before.  

I actually think it’s alright for a first drop too. The top line isn’t for me but I don’t expect it to be to my taste every year. 

As usual, I’m more intrigued to see what’s coming than disappointed by the first poster.  The first poster rarely represents my Glasto experience.

Patiently awaiting Silver Hayes, Arcadia, Block 9 and The Glade please. 

I expect clashes all over the place and not enough hours in the day, just like every other year. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I actually think it’s alright for a first drop too. The top line isn’t for me but I don’t expect it to be to my taste every year. 

As usual, I’m more intrigued to see what’s coming than disappointed by the first poster.  The first poster rarely represents my Glasto experience.

Patiently awaiting Silver Hayes, Arcadia, Block 9 and The Glade please. 

I expect clashes all over the place and not enough hours in the day, just like every other year. 

I think it's relatively weak (for my tastes) but that doesn't bother me, plenty still to come,

"I expect clashes all over the place and not enough hours in the day, just like every other year."

My expectation too! if for some reason I find myself at a loose end (not likely) I'll have a wander through the theatre/circus fields or take a wander up to the green fields, having missed out last year I can't wait to get back. I've no reason to think it won't be as amazing as it always is.

• Like 1

I always await the poster knowing that there won't be that much that is for me outside of The Park and Woodsies. But, this year, I probably have more on this poster than many other years! I'm as excited as ever and, more importantly, like a child on Christmas Eve in anticipation of the heady mayhem of the area drops. Truly my favourite time of the year!

Ben

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

You don't need many acts to fill up your day anyway. From the poster, there are 5-6 acts I want to see right off the bat, then with the rest of the lineup there'll be clashes-a-plenty. I've always had a better time at the less star-studded lineups tbh.