LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

46 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Another theory: Maybe the delay is due to them doing a Leeds/Reading and announcing 6 co-headliners (Pyramid & Other) in one go. Partly designed to showcase an equal gender balance.  

Possibly they might be doing something like that but with the way ticket prices are going I can honestly imagine booking the festival this year has probably been a very difficult task. In a few years time Emily will be saying 2024 - that was a tough one. 

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Have we ever been utterly shocked by a headliner announcement before either? I can't ever recall a genuinely out of leftfield headliner that hadn't even been discussed.

The Who. 

Because they literally couldn't do it. 

Though I think it became apparent just before it was announced. 

Have it on good authority that the announcement has been delayed to go alongside Jeremy Hunt's budget statement next week when a new partnership between Glasto and the Tory party will be announced. 

Edited by gherkin8r

On 2/26/2024 at 10:28 PM, Gnomicide said:

It would make sense that the other festivals want to avoid the same day as Glastonbury but would Glastonbury tell them when they were publishing? If I'm Joe Big Tent from Beat Herder, will Glastonbury tell me what date they're going with, given how everything seems to be shrouded in mystery? I don't know, perhaps they would, connections and all that.

On the other hand, would the lead booker of one of the biggest stages put online a Spotify playlist revealing who's on? 

They won't share the info even the guardian doesn't get a lot of notice. People Who need to know get told.

26 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Have it on good authority that the announcement has been delayed to go alongside Jeremy Hunt's budget statement next week when a new partnership between Glasto and the Tory party will be announced. 

Not that keen to get Spice Girls are they? 

16 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

They could announce it on International Women's Day but not make it expressly about International Women's Day (i.e. let other people make that connection if they'd like to)

That seems quite plausible to me. Friday 8th March.... I hope not though because I dont want to wait another week haha

• Upvote 1

At least we’re pretty much all agreed it’s the poster as first announcement now, then?

Emily already said she’d like a big announcement in the New Year. In the absence of that, it’s either chaos as they try and find at least one replacement headliner, or they can’t announce yet because act(s) have contractural obligations to other event(s) when it comes to announcements.

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

Still can't quite fathom why BST don't just announce Stevie already. For their own sake as well as ours.

Have to assume that they would, but there's some obstacle that's not (currently, at least) visible to us.

For example if he's waiting to announce a wider tour, or album, or whatever. If he's gearing up to play live, there's a good chance he'd be doing more than just Glastonbury and BST.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Have to assume that they would, but there's some obstacle that's not (currently, at least) visible to us.

For example if he's waiting to announce a wider tour, or album, or whatever. If he's gearing up to play live, there's a good chance he'd be doing more than just Glastonbury and BST.

I remember reading before that The Rolling Stones aren't allowed to announce shows more than a certain amount of days beforehand for insurance purposes. Possible the same applies for Stevie?

3 minutes ago, incident said:

No lineup until November?

I'm good with that.

Hunt will be rearranging the calendar to swap November and May around to facilitate. He believes that when they call the general election for the penultimate month of the year it will also mean that it will be held in a brighter, warmer, drier month and thus people will forget to hate him and the rest of the Tories.

• Like 1