LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Surely SGP should stick with it? Secret is in the name!

The problem they both had is that a secret line up leads to wild speculation, so when they unveiled London Grammar on a pin up board you couldn't really see folks were a little disappointed. 

Imagine the speculation if Glastonbury had it completely secret people. 

I still think they had to leak George Ezra on purpose to stop everyone thinking it was Harry styles.

27 minutes ago, p.pete said:

We're still on course for that though, right?  First lineup sometime before the payment deadline, and then the dripfeed of stage lineups from april onwards.  Getting a legend announcement now isn't going to going to give you someone new to explore.  The other side of the drip-feed is bands self-confirming themselves - that does seem to be really slow at the moment - if that's more what you meant?

Oh yeah, fully expect that to continue, I was just responding to the earlier post saying they'd like to go with no announcements. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The problem they both had is that a secret line up leads to wild speculation, so when they unveiled London Grammar on a pin up board you couldn't really see folks were a little disappointed.

If it had just been about the lineup, they probably could have got away with doing it again. However more generally they released very little information about the festival creating quite a few other expectation issues (such as some aspects being massively downscaled without warning), and some of what they did release (such as "don't bring money, we're going cashless") ended up being very wrong. So it feels like this year they're going the exact opposite direction on everything, not just lineup.

Also the shocking toilets didn't help, hence putting "Compost Loos" on the poster.

13 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Would like boomtown to announce earlier this year even though when they did last year I didn't really know anyone on the line up and still had a great time

Yeah I agree, I really like doing a festival listen in advance. I was at wilderness the weekend before and 3 days was not enough to even begin to work out who I'd want to see. 

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Shambala kept their Saturday night headliner secret last year up until she actually walked on stage.

Mind you I'm not surprised, they may well have had an empty field otherwise.

They announced it earlier in the day, via their App.

And she was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Imagine the speculation if Glastonbury had it completely secret people. 

I still think they had to leak George Ezra on purpose to stop everyone thinking it was Harry styles.

2 hours ago, incident said:

If it had just been about the lineup, they probably could have got away with doing it again. However more generally they released very little information about the festival creating quite a few other expectation issues (such as some aspects being massively downscaled without warning), and some of what they did release (such as "don't bring money, we're going cashless") ended up being very wrong. So it feels like this year they're going the exact opposite direction on everything, not just lineup.

Also the shocking toilets didn't help, hence putting "Compost Loos" on the poster.

beat me to it

They originally just released the 3 headliners but now its basically all major acts

I guess it was selling poorly

4 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

And this place will erupt … fun times ahead 🙂 

if there's new announced tomorrow I'll be ignoring it, cos I'm not here (just thought I'd say cos otherwise you'll think it's something I'd been planning!).

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I love the current drip feed way of doing it, discovered quite a few acts through that way. It can still happen now but finding out months later that that new act you've discovered and loved were playing while you were scratching your arse in the circus fields... not good.

Even worse is discovering a “new” band in July, checking out their touring schedule only to discover they played Glastonbury 17 times. 

19 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I love the current drip feed way of doing it, discovered quite a few acts through that way. It can still happen now but finding out months later that that new act you've discovered and loved were playing while you were scratching your arse in the circus fields... not good.

Yep I love the voyage of discovery that the announcements give me musically. Even if I don't get to see the acts themselves I discover loads through the playlist and I catch acts at the their gigs that are clashes. No doubt these are benefits artists are told about to justify their lower fees so as much as it might seem good to have a complete surprise I can't see them ever going back to those times. 

If they tried it I actually think a lot of people (not me obviously) would hand back their tickets assuming it meant it was going to be a shit line up. 

22 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Shambala kept their Saturday night headliner secret last year up until she actually walked on stage.

Mind you I'm not surprised, they may well have had an empty field otherwise.

We loved the way they did that. It was fun getting the clues through the day. Expect that signal on site at Shambala is *shocking*! Now, I loved that, in general - an additional separation with the outside world for a few days, but not good if you're trying to pick up clues from their app feed!

Ben