The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

20 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

This mornings GFS is a downgrade from yesterdays run. Yesterday the high pressure pushed down from the north to give us a fine weekend but this morning keeps it further north as it’s bumped out of the way by a thundery low coming up from France for Sunday…

So the first few days have showers, Saturday dryish, then the threat of thunder on Sunday. 
It’s still all over the place every day, so no detail can be inferred from any of the GFS runs.  The other models are also struggling for consistency so it’s still TOO EARLY. 

Untitled.gif.5c8c2b768917606864e9ee63dd763c9a.gif

FFS, this is on all you "keeps the dust down" losers. 

Between now and Wednesday 21st, it looks dry and fine. Icon13 needs watching as it currently has a chance of rain Monday 19th night/Tuesday 20th morning.

Wednesday 21st Dry/Wind light from west 20c.

Thursday 22nd: small chance of some very early morning drizzle (gsf). Wind light from west (gsf), or from east (ecmwf). 22c.

No Wellies (yet)

Edited by 2019
Typo 9f > of

After a small downgrade on the 18Z, what does the 00Z have in store for us?

GATES OPEN

There is still a lot of heavy rain showing, now for the Sunday. However, it's then completely dry on Monday and Tuesday and would quickly be drying out, and dry right through to gates open on Wednesday morning.

image.thumb.png.db369c5f824baddfbbbb0ea54d512b1a.png

Wednesday itself has a tiny amount of rain, with highs of 22.

THURSDAY

We have lost the torrential rain of Wednesday into Thursday morning in this run.

Thursday has some small, insignificant showers and highs of 22.

image.thumb.png.d94d20d1d8943d44ddf83a2c27401301.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry in the day. Very small amount of rain in the evening. Highs of 23.

Is the finger coming?

image.thumb.png.e2d479526085b1a3cd5e1d634ce1847b.png

SATURDAY

Some rain in the afternoon, again wouldn't make a difference to the ground. The high continues to push in, with temperatures of 18. Much cooler on this run for the weekend.

image.thumb.png.91134a8579230b9d0d0f74b257d800b5.png

SUNDAY

Some very light showers but effectively dry. Highs of 19.

image.thumb.png.ff1f9bef75fa7450fea91914926319fc.png

SUMMARY

A much improved run compared to the 18Z, with the loss of the torrential rain going into Thursday, and the rain during the festival would do nothing to the site.

The difference in this run is the formation of the finger. As you can see from this on Saturday, it's not a real finger in this run, meaning we don't get the temperature rise - though it is warmer the first few days on site.

Previous on the left, latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.41126be8ed7212ebe389d4eb77a80081.png

Edited by briddj
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

This mornings GFS is a downgrade from yesterdays run. Yesterday the high pressure pushed down from the north to give us a fine weekend but this morning keeps it further north as it’s bumped out of the way by a thundery low coming up from France for Sunday…

So the first few days have showers, Saturday dryish, then the threat of thunder on Sunday. 
It’s still all over the place every day, so no detail can be inferred from any of the GFS runs.  The other models are also struggling for consistency so it’s still TOO EARLY. 

Untitled.gif.5c8c2b768917606864e9ee63dd763c9a.gif

For gods sake Steve. We were doing so well..

37 minutes ago, Clouds said:

2015 was perfect festival weather for me and there were spells of rain all weekend.  Wellies came out once but other than that the site held up really well and dried up 1-2 hours after.

Same. A bit of rain every now and again is fine in my opinion.(That being said, I am hoping for a dry festival!) 

25 minutes ago, briddj said:

GATES OPEN

There is still a lot of heavy rain showing, now for the Sunday. However, it's then completely dry on Monday and Tuesday and would quickly be drying out, and dry right through to gates open on Wednesday morning.

THURSDAY

We have lost the torrential rain of Wednesday into Thursday morning in this run.

FRIDAY

Completely dry in the day. Very small amount of rain in the evening. Highs of 23.

Is the finger coming?

SATURDAY

Some rain in the afternoon, again wouldn't make a difference to the ground. The high continues to push in, with temperatures of 18. Much cooler on this run for the weekend.

SUNDAY

SUMMARY

A much improved run compared to the 18Z, with the loss of the torrential rain going into Thursday, and the rain during the festival would do nothing to the site.

The difference in this run is the formation of the finger. As you can see from this on Saturday, it's not a real finger in this run, meaning we don't get the temperature rise - though it is warmer the first few days on site.

The 0Z ensembles show pressure rising for many runs as we go into the festival. 

However the operation run for precipitation was pretty boisterous for little to no precipitation. Many runs showing rain. 

It certainly looks like there will be some moisture, a mud bath unlikely looking at the trend over the last few days. 

Screenshot_20230613_080052_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230613_075742_Samsung Internet.jpg

By way of illustration of how the models are struggling for festival period, here are two models’ options from the latest midnight run, for midnight on festival Friday.  

The GFS has a high to our NW ridging down over the U.K.:

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.42e0f3cf5ec7f99f8a902f9febe0f830.jpeg

But for the same time, ECMWF gives us a right royal warm finger of high pressure pushing up from down below, keeping us dry with rising temperatures:

IMG_4103.thumb.jpeg.69bd301dfe81dc413156e6daf15c1c44.jpeg

So, no signs of a dry festival and no signs of a wet festival. Hopefully by the weekend we’ll have some sort of agreement, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Realise it's still TOO EARLY, however I'm taking heart from the fact that both models are trending towards little or no heavy rain as we get closer.  I'd stick my neck out to say that chances of a mudbath are looking slimmer every day.  This makes me a happy Monkey.

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Realise it's still TOO EARLY, however I'm taking heart from the fact that both models are trending towards little or no heavy rain as we get closer.  I'd stick my neck out to say that chances of a mudbath are looking slimmer every day.  This makes me a happy Monkey.

It really does seem like this isn't a knife edge year - somewhere in the middle seems to be most likely option by far, unlike most years where there seems to be a choice between mudbath and el scorchio. Neither are being predicted at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

By way of illustration of how the models are struggling for festival period, here are two models’ options from the latest midnight run, for midnight on festival Friday.  

The GFS has a high to our NW ridging down over the U.K.:

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.42e0f3cf5ec7f99f8a902f9febe0f830.jpeg

But for the same time, ECMWF gives us a right royal warm finger of high pressure pushing up from down below, keeping us dry with rising temperatures:

IMG_4103.thumb.jpeg.69bd301dfe81dc413156e6daf15c1c44.jpeg

So, no signs of a dry festival and no signs of a wet festival. Hopefully by the weekend we’ll have some sort of agreement, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

What the difference between these really? 

My read is that it'll generally be dry with scattered showers throughout the weekend. No need for wellies.

1 hour ago, briddj said:

GATES OPEN

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

Is the finger coming?

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

SUMMARY

Appreciate your diligence in keeping us informed. Cheers!

• Thanks 1