The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

YR, which uses the ECM, seems to be going with the soggy theme at the moment - 16mm on Tuesday and 2.9mm on Wednesday. 

All for fun at this stage though etc! I think it would be sad if these weather forecasts fuelled anybody's anxiety over this stuff. Prepare for rain but don't dread it.

The Nal is the best thing about this thread, stop taking things so seriously. If anyone bothered to read back it becomes quite clear it’s not serious (unless it is!!) anyway look forward to this finger coming and getting rid of this rain, at least for Wednesday I do not want to set up in the rain, after that I can cope but obviously would prefer it to be dry 

7 minutes ago, august1 said:

Would a downpour on Tues be that bad? Other than the poor souls doing the build

It's the best time for a downpour compared to it happening during the festival.

With how dry the site is, unless it's biblically heavy and lasts for most of the day, it'll be fine.  The major walkways will get muddy but the site would dry out quick enough

2 minutes ago, yolo420blazedeeznuts said:

Agreed, a joke is only a joke if everyone is laughing

It’s what he does. On another thread regarding Vegan food he said ‘it’s good if you like prison food’ but a few comments later he was saying how he genuinely enjoyed some of it. It’s just his SOH. Take it as it someone being silly. 

What mm of rain would be ok. Out of interest how much was there in 16 before hand compared to say 2013 on the Thursday when it was definitely need to go back and get my wellies as slipping all over the place but also absolutely fine on the Friday 

7 minutes ago, Barneym said:

What mm of rain would be ok. Out of interest how much was there in 16 before hand compared to say 2013 on the Thursday when it was definitely need to go back and get my wellies as slipping all over the place but also absolutely fine on the Friday 

You can check historical data from the nearest station here https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/historic-station-data

Yeovilton is closest https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/yeoviltondata.txt

Can see the wet years had >100mm of rain in the festival month and normally plenty before. We're way below that.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

iggest issue is some flash flooding because the ground is so hard baked. It will run off an pool up in places....

shouldn't be as bad a problem as it might have been because of the bit of rain yesterday.

Bored at work, thought i'd see if ChatGPT could cheer us up with a little poem :

"Will it rain?" one soul did ask, with worry etched on their face.

"Or will the sun shine bright, embracing this magical space?"

A weather guru chimed in, with forecasts and fancy charts,

But the replies that followed brought giggles and hearty guffaws.

"Bring your rain boots," one joker said, "and prepare for a muddy dance,

We'll be sliding and gliding, in a wet and wild trance!"

Another quipped, "Fear not the storm, for we'll float upon rafts of joy,

With rainbows as our canopies, we'll sing and dance, oh boy!"

A wise soul interjected, "Fret not, my festival friend,

For Glastonbury's spirit will make any weather amend.

Come rain or shine, we'll revel and sing, embracing each drop from above,

For it's the memories we make, not weather woes, that we'll truly love."

And so, the thread went on, with humor and wit so rare,

As festival-goers prepared for a weather roulette affair.

No matter the forecast, the spirit remained undeterred,

For Glastonbury's magic, rain or shine, would surely be conferred.

So, if you find yourself on the festival weather thread,

Remember, laughter and joy can conquer all dread.

In the midst of forecasting and meteorological fuss,

Let humor and happiness be the umbrella that shelters us!

• Like 2

Anyone getting stressed or upset about a certain posters forecast of doom & gloom needs to seriously grow a pair!

It's an English summer - sometimes it will rain. Sometimes it will rain an awful lot. Sometimes it will be baking hot. And sometimes it will be a mixture.

Anyone who thinks they can't enjoy themselves if it's wet and muddy has no business even applying for a ticket IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Suddenly it's very obvious that everyone takes this thread waaayyy too seriously lol....

Not sure anyone did really, one poster said he didn't know he could block NAL, someone said he could - so he did.

Best way to do it, someones posts not your cup of tea, just choose not to see them. 

1 hour ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

I’m firmly on the leave The Nal alone camp. He’s the pantomime villain we all need (He’s behind you).

As someone said earlier we need balance, and I don’t doubt for a second having experienced this for a second year that there’s no malice meant. Think of him like our very own Marvin the Paranoid Android 🙂

Nal has held his duty in these threads well over the years. As stated. Balance required. 

now No f**king rain!!! 2010 all over again.