The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

19 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Rain starts

Normal people: running for shelter, swearing, pulling on cagoules, changing plans

"Keep The Dust Down" Fetishists: opening champagne, letting off fireworks, growing engorged, copping off with strangers.

Rain Starts...  Put a coat on. See bands. Have a nice time. 

23+ degrees and sun. Seek shade. Dont see any acts. Generally miserable as cant see any acts til evening. Literally have to put a cream on to stop cancer (imagine that being fun?!). 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

We were litterpicking from 6am and I think we had rainbows in the sky on Friday, Saturday and Monday first thing. And yes, I had to ‘brush’ my tent when I got it home to get the sand off! 

It was awesome wasn't it? I don't have a great bladder so got up one morning around 6am for a piss and was just open-mouthed at how beautiful the rainbow was. 

12 minutes ago, tarw said:

People are obsessing over temperatures here. Humidity is just as important. 20C at a 50% humidity is absolutely perfect festival weather. 20C at 90% humidity would be hell. 

I travel to Singapore/Bangkok quite a lot for work and it is RIDICULOUS how hard it gets when its 28c but 90% humidity. Humidity just absolutely saps your strength. 

35 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

It was awesome wasn't it? I don't have a great bladder so got up one morning around 6am for a piss and was just open-mouthed at how beautiful the rainbow was. 

6am for a piss after the previous day at the festival? Sheer luxury, usually 4am for me😊😉.  Love a rainbow, was it over the urinals?

met office medium range adding a bit more clarity to the 'showers from the south'. They suggest that although high pressure is going to lose it's dominance we will see temperatures widely above average - perhaps significantly so. Plenty of warm sunshine in-between thunderstorms...

Looks like a hot and sweaty festival possible! 

21 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

met office medium range adding a bit more clarity to the 'showers from the south'. They suggest that although high pressure is going to lose it's dominance we will see temperatures widely above average - perhaps significantly so. Plenty of warm sunshine in-between thunderstorms...

Looks like a hot and sweaty festival possible! 

So hot & Muddy... the worst possible outcome.

Christ. 

I do love a storm though. 2014 was one of my favourite glastonbury moments

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

The GFS runs now go up to the wednesday so we'll be starting to get a very rough picture of what's in store

image.thumb.png.5487ed0a199a76626735ebac4c6fce85.png

In true Glasto style, we are currently on a knife edge with low pressure and the threat of rain around.  It does look weak so any number of plumes or fingers could push that away leaving us basking in sunshine or combusting on the spot depending on your feelings towards the heat.

The good news is that there is little rain  in the 14 days before and temps are high so the ground will be  dry. If anything, the ground could do with a few showers in the next couple of weeks to ease peg entry and stop the site from being a dustbowl.

Still another 5 days before the GFS covers the entire festival so I'm expecting a fair few twists and turns along the way.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BambooShanks said:

The GFS runs now go up to the wednesday so we'll be starting to get a very rough picture of what's in store

image.thumb.png.5487ed0a199a76626735ebac4c6fce85.png

In true Glasto style, we are currently on a knife edge with low pressure and the threat of rain around.  It does look weak so any number of plumes or fingers could push that away leaving us basking in sunshine or combusting on the spot depending on your feelings towards the heat.

The good news is that there is little rain  in the 14 days before and temps are high so the ground will be  dry. If anything, the ground could do with a few showers in the next couple of weeks to ease peg entry and stop the site from being a dustbowl.

Still another 5 days before the GFS covers the entire festival so I'm expecting a fair few twists and turns along the way.

Real knife edge stuff indeed. 

25 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So hot & Muddy... the worst possible outcome.

Christ. 

I do love a storm though. 2014 was one of my favourite glastonbury moments

Hot and muddy is a nightmare on the feet as well. GTX hiking boots or wellies in high temperatures - not ideal.

3 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Temperature doesn't matter. All that matters is NFRNFC. Wear long sleeves, wear a jumper, wear a woolly hat at night time, have a hot and spicy cider. As long as we don't have to wear waterproofs and can sit on the floor that's all we really need

this man knows

4 minutes ago, mark_87 said:

How does this point in the year compare to 2016? Was there already lots of rain and looking treacherous? 

Yes.  It rained pretty much all of June in the run up.  Sawdusty did some videos from the site build and it looked line the Somme in places.  Plus there had been intermittent wet weather most of the start of the year.  Just totally saturated.

Edited by 4AssedMonkey