Psychedelic rock this year?

grayzer1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

Nick Turner has been playing daily slots in the Green Futures field for the past few years.  I've never managed to see any of these, although I did go and see him fronting Hawkwind in 2019.  Search the schedule - he's on the Mandala Stage every day from around midday and this year it's in honour of Arabella Churchill and Andrew Kerr.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:29 AM, Kurosagi said:

Made it to the Thursday morning jam slot and a good spacey jam it was too...although without Nik. Someone announced he was sick, but wasn't clear whether it was just that day or whether it was more serious and he couldn't make the festival at all?

I managed a couple of tunes on Saturday lunchtime, one nice jam and one vocal epic. No sign of Nik Turner, but a whole load of driving musicians. Can anyone name any of them from these photos?

IMG_20220625_124620.jpg

IMG_20220625_123348.jpg

On 6/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

Nick Turner has been playing daily slots in the Green Futures field for the past few years.  I've never managed to see any of these, although I did go and see him fronting Hawkwind in 2019.  Search the schedule - he's on the Mandala Stage every day from around midday and this year it's in honour of Arabella Churchill and Andrew Kerr.

Did he do the Hawkwind gig? Sure him and Dave do not get on at all. He does front space ritual, which are mainly old Hawkwind members. 

Terry Ollis played drums for a young psych band this year, but for the life of me can't remember the name.

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Did he do the Hawkwind gig? Sure him and Dave do not get on at all. He does front space ritual, which are mainly old Hawkwind members. 

Terry Ollis played drums for a young psych band this year, but for the life of me can't remember the name.

No - you're right: having just done my Wikipedia homework, I've now learned about the machinations of Hawkwind, including the fact that Nik Turner left them long ago - before I ever saw them.  I'm an unreliable witness when it comes to this sort of thing as I never used to read the album covers, let alone the music press, and rarely know the names of the members of the band I'm watching.  You've probably saved me from an embarrassing confused discussion with my fellow audience members if I ever do make it to one of Nik Turner's Greenfield jams.

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I saw 30 minutes of one of his Green Futures gigs, as they were billed as 'jams' it certainly seemed to be the case, no recognisable Hawkwind songs but he may have left them till later I guess....

8 hours ago, Wooderson said:

In a time with a plethora of gnarly bands the fest is found really lacking, has to be said.

Whomever is booking these type of bands needs to give the lads in Levitation a bell.

animated-gif-low-res_LEVITATION-2022-lineup.gif?v=1656519358

You referring to Terry Bickers' early 90s band Levitation? Sweet if so, be great if they reformed. 

41 minutes ago, timespeedsup said:

You referring to Terry Bickers' early 90s band Levitation? Sweet if so, be great if they reformed. 

Great band. Got that album here somewhere, going to try and find it this evening.

(No interest in them reforming, mind)

12 hours ago, Wooderson said:

In a time with a plethora of gnarly bands the fest is found really lacking, has to be said.

Whomever is booking these type of bands needs to give the lads in Levitation a bell.

animated-gif-low-res_LEVITATION-2022-lineup.gif?v=1656519358

Oh you absolute git, I was immediately looking at prices for tickets before realising it was in bloody Texas!!

But yes, more of this next year please Mr Eavis.

10 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Oh you absolute git, I was immediately looking at prices for tickets before realising it was in bloody Texas!!

But yes, more of this next year please Mr Eavis.

My apols. Wouldnt hold my breath on the Eavii changing tack on this either.

Also totally loved Kikagaku Moyo, for some blissed on morning psych and also impressed by The utopia Strong. Looking forward to catching them again at Green Man. 

• 10 months later...