Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Does Glasto give money to the unions? Maybe the Eaviss should have a word that their contribution may not happen this year if they insist on fuckimg over the festvial 

Or, alternatively, perhaps consider making a larger donation to the union in order to support the fight for peoples jobs and fair, equitable working conditions? 🤔

Seems much more in keeping with the festivals ethos to me. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It’s not completely impossible - so much of the talk on both sides, but particularly the government’s, is just bluster. But based on talking to colleagues and local unions reps it feels pretty likely to go ahead at this stage. 

Fair enough. I hope you guys get what you're after, none of it sounds unreasonable. A shame its Glasto week but we'll all make it work, somehow!

1 minute ago, TaylorT said:

Thank you for insightful, constructive info then. Gonna play it out a few days then make a decision on alternative travel. Just gonna have to by the looks of it. 

Man. I wish it was just the weather we still needed to worry about. We were at the last hurdle 😭😂

No problem at all. For the sake of everyone I obviously hope it can be resolved but it does nobody any good to labour under false pretences. 

I'm sure you already know this, but if you're looking for alternatives from anywhere via public transport you can do it easily on Google maps.

Choose public transport and untick the train option to see which buses will get you to your destination for example (nb. Not sure if this would encompass special festival buses though) 

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7565193

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Does Glasto give money to the unions? Maybe the Eaviss should have a word that their contribution may not happen this year if they insist on fuckimg over the festvial 

I preferred it when you just posted Twitter links.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jt92 said:

What’s everyone’s advice for coming from Cornwall? I already have a ticket (non refundable). Do I book parking ? And assume my ticket will be cancelled? Nightmare 

Any advanced ticket will be due a full refund if the original booked train is cancelled, plus you can use it on next available service. You don't need to book a parking ticket, you can buy these at the car park entrance. If you have the choice of drive or train, maybe hold fire until closer to the time or more info has come out before you decide 

1 minute ago, rhyscork said:

Any advanced ticket will be due a full refund if the original booked train is cancelled, plus you can use it on next available service. You don't need to book a parking ticket, you can buy these at the car park entrance. If you have the choice of drive or train, maybe hold fire until closer to the time or more info has come out before you decide 

Are you sure about the buying a car park ticket on the day? They have been posting to get one by the 15th.

Driving is plan B if can't get the train.

1 minute ago, Earth_pig said:

Are you sure about the buying a car park ticket on the day? They have been posting to get one by the 15th.

Yea they are definately 100% available on the gate … buying in advance helps the flow of traffic … I’d suggest that tweet was to help with this 

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

You'll probably pay more on the gate, so it's £50 if you get one before the 15th but possibly £55 or more if you leave it.

I paid £50 on the day in 2019 when they were £45 in advance.

They won't turn people away, it would be chaos.

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

I'm as sure as the fact that i've never had a problem doing it personally, and i've gone every year since 2005. However i do always go mega early on the wednesday so couldnt comment on what its like later in the days. At the same time, its not like they can turn you around if theres traffic everywhere. They 100% do sell them on the gates, cant comment on how many they sell/ if its a limited supply etc.   

18 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

Or, alternatively, perhaps consider making a larger donation to the union in order to support the fight for peoples jobs and fair, equitable working conditions? 🤔

Seems much more in keeping with the festivals ethos to me. 

Lol maybe the union should give us money for rhe extra travel we have to do?

Like the timing is going to screw the festival for the people working the festival and attending. Why pretend otherwise?

• Downvote 3

Thanks god I got a coach ticket for the festival. The only rush will be moving around London by bus, but still my See will depart 12PM so plenty of time to reach the O2. May be a bit hard for the early morning ones though... 

Edited by AlexOvd

Just now, AlexOvd said:

Thanks god I got a coach ticket for the festival. The only rush will be moving around London by bus, but still my See will depart 12PM so plenty of time to reach the O2. May be a bit tough for the early morning ones though... 

just leave yourself way to much time … with trains disrupted everything else will be impacted 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Like the timing is going to screw the festival for the people working the festival and attending. Why pretend otherwise?

Perhaps they should go on strike between 2am and 3am one Monday morning…minimum impact, but I’m sure it’ll get the attention of the rail bosses and secure their jobs. 🤦‍♂️

The issue here shouldn’t be the fact they are striking and that some people will be inconvenienced as a result, it should be the fact they are having to strike in order to try and save their jobs. Jobs they love, jobs which they kept doing throughout a global pandemic to keep us all moving. Jobs which they haven’t received a pay rise for in years, despite rail fares increasing markedly and train operating companies recording record profits, funded by taxpayer subsidies.

No pretence that it won’t cause inconvenience, but also no pretence that it isn’t absolutely necessary. We’re talking about peoples livelihoods ffs! 

Edited by theciderviking
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nobody is pretending it won't be inconvenient. Though "screw the festival" is obviously wildly overplaying it.

That's the point of strikes. The fact it's inconvenient doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Like every TU dispute there will be an element of brinkmanship involved on both sides. Sadly for those going to the festival they can’t just wait in hope and will have to make alternative arrangements such as buying car passes. 
maybe Michael can mediate the dispute, he’s got a train after all

648BAA2D-7F00-4A1C-AAC1-99FAC4F84F40.jpeg.94a56b1122baef8eb2d3a3952f2d1104.jpeg

4 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Yeah, my plan is trying to reach the O2 as early as possible and once there have some breakfast/coffee and wait. 

Bingo. 10am departure for us but will be making the (admittedly short) journey from S.London at 7am. There'll always be a sandwich and a coffee somewhere. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Like every TU dispute there will be an element of brinkmanship involved on both sides. Sadly for those going to the festival they can’t just wait in hope and will have to make alternative arrangements such as buying car passes. 
maybe Michael can mediate the dispute, he’s got a train after all

648BAA2D-7F00-4A1C-AAC1-99FAC4F84F40.jpeg.94a56b1122baef8eb2d3a3952f2d1104.jpeg

3 weeks is a long time for this type of dispute. I don't know the history of this dispute, however it is more than likely it will be resolved by Glastonbury. I will see what information I can find out about this from people at RMT. 

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Honestly it’s taken us in the industry by surprise too - the expectation was that they’d strike during the Commonwealth Games seeing as almost the entire national train network runs through Birmingham, so 21st June is a lot sooner than we’d prepared for. But there are still two weeks to resolve the issues which is plenty of time if the government and TOCs engage constructively. 

Hope the UK government does a better job of negotiating with train operators than the Scottish government has. We've had one going strikes for well over a year now and they now have a new timetable where there basically aren't any trains after 8pm. Honestly feel like Scotland is becoming a 3rd world country under the SNP. Crazy how far the place has gone backwards under their rule. Bloody got incompetent hateful nationalists in Westminster and Holyrood 😞

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, found home in 2009 said:

Hope the UK government does a better job of negotiating with train operators than the Scottish government has. We've had one going strikes for well over a year now and they now have a new timetable where there basically aren't any trains after 8pm. Honestly feel like Scotland is becoming a 3rd world country under the SNP. Crazy how far the place has gone backwards under their rule. Bloody got incompetent hateful nationalists in Westminster and Holyrood 😞

Well said, and they’ve fucked up the ferries as well, just ask the folk living on Arran.