Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So any of the pro union lot downvoting me actually got Glastonbury tickets? They are happy to spend an extra 150 quid for travel or miss out altogether? Or are they armchair posers?

I have a ticket, my travel plans have been disrupted by the strike announcement.

The inconvenience pales into insignificance when compared to people fighting for their jobs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

Any Bristolians out there that have good knowledge of long stay parking in the city? Looks like we might need to park up from Tuesday 21st til Tuesday 28th. The NCP option at £180 feels like a bit of a joke....

I asked a similar question in the Questions section and got the following reply...

check the link for resident parking permit zone boundary - i would suggest Lower Easton, anywhere near the Greenbank Pub is free and it's an OK area. - Cromer Rd, Daisy Rd around those streets is where I park when seeing friends down in Briz. Taxi to city centre will be about £10

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/parking/map-of-scheme-areas

You also need to check if your car can drive through the city centre on the green tax - diesel cars are a no go, electric and some petrol are ok.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/streets-travel/bristol-caz/view-map

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So any of the pro union lot downvoting me actually got Glastonbury tickets? They are happy to spend an extra 150 quid for travel or miss out altogether? Or are they armchair posers?

yeah, it's disruptive, inconvenient and annoying, but it's meant to be...it's called strike action. It's like the 70s all over again, except without Hawkwind.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone know why they've chosen these dates? You think something to do with byelections, or is that a coincidence?

Trying to get some extra money from Glastonbury.  Hopefully they'll give the boss a bung to egr them to delay the strike 

3 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Bristol. So not far, luckily but no direct buses to the site on the Tuesday other than the Castle Cary shuttle.

Just spoke to my partner though, & he'll take the day off and drive me down if all else fails.

The Shelter buses are leaving Bristol on the Tuesday.... don’t know if they’ll take you, but no harm in asking.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm now absolutely convinced this person is actually Nadine Dorries

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Why can't u catch the train on the Wednesday? You don't need to be there Tuesday anyway surely..

16 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I asked a similar question in the Questions section and got the following reply...

check the link for resident parking permit zone boundary - i would suggest Lower Easton, anywhere near the Greenbank Pub is free and it's an OK area. - Cromer Rd, Daisy Rd around those streets is where I park when seeing friends down in Briz. Taxi to city centre will be about £10

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/parking/map-of-scheme-areas

You also need to check if your car can drive through the city centre on the green tax - diesel cars are a no go, electric and some petrol are ok.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/streets-travel/bristol-caz/view-map

Thanks for that. I’ll have a proper read tonight. Just panic bought a festival car park ticket as a failsafe contingency….but going via Bristol would still be our preference if it’s doable (hotels & festival coach both non refundable now) .

Considering I’m coming from the sticks in the East Midlands, there’s zero hope of getting a coach all the way down without needing a train somewhere .

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Got my ticket and whilst it might mildly inconvenience me (not driving till Thursday because you know kids and all) so fully anticipating what should have been a reasonably quick journey might take me a bit longer but nothing compared to people getting shafted out of pay and jobs and paying for mortgages and putting food on tables. So yeah up the RMT

Edited by eddie_corrigan

1 minute ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Got my ticket and whilst it might mildly inconvenience me (not going till Thursday because you know kids and all) so fully anticipating what should have been a reasonably quick journey might take me a bit longer but nothing compared to people getting shifted out of pay and jobs and paying for mortgages and putting food on tables. So yeah up the RMT

Again no upvotes left, but absolutely this. 👏👏👏

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

The Shelter buses are leaving Bristol on the Tuesday.... don’t know if they’ll take you, but no harm in asking.

Interesting suggestion... I've found an email address to try... Where do Shelter camp? Is that where they'll be dropping you all off? 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Lol it won't be a 'minor inconvenience '. Are people willing to not get to Glastonbury to support the strike?

I don’t think it’s a case of it being a minor inconvenience. It’s going to be a major f%%king ball ache for a lot of people. I just think the majority can see the bigger picture and in the grand scheme of things finding alternate methods of transport for a week away is nothing compared to someone potentially losing their job. 

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Bus will go to Gate A to pick up tickets. Camp is at Gate C, so assume it will go to there after ticket pick up.

Ah, I'll already have my ticket at that point so would go in at gate A. 

I'll drop them an email & see what they say.